JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Since recoil is an issue and the budget is $1,500, I'd consider an AR ($600-700), 10 magpul 30 round mags ($150), some spare parts (~$50 -$100), and the rest ($550 +-) on ammo and if needed a relatively inexpensive optic like a Vortex Strikefire. Regarding recoil, the longer the gas system the easier the recoil, so consider at least a mid length. A compensator can also help, but effective ones usually run at least $100, so I'd shoot it plain Jane first and see if it was tolerable.

As others have said a shotgun is a great and more inexpensive solution as long as you can take the recoil.

There are a myriad of "opinions" already submitted, and I agree with all of them at one level or another so far. From my Army days and PSD duty (bodyguarding Generals and such) the Rifle-Pistol-Shotgun is the "trifecta" of individual small arms offense/defense. Make, model, caliber, weapon type, and ammo will vary on the task at hand. (One is none, two is one, and three is glee)

In my household I'm not the only "defender" in my domicile, and for home defense, WROL, or TEOWAKI I have these readily available (see below) for initial deployment from the house safe which gives me the option of being the only defender, or passing them out to my "wingmen". In either event I maintain control of the armament at all times like the responsible armorer that I am, and can (and will) repel all "boarders".

BTW- they're called "riot guns", "room brooms", "master keys", and "street sweepers" for a reason. ;)

If there's STILL a situation that still needs dealt with after that (and I'm still standing), then I'll pass out the SERIOUS armament (from the BIG safe) and we get to gettin' busy.o_O

image_zps1dfcf282.jpg

Last Edited:
I have to agree with the very first response you received, the Kel-Tec Sub2000 in 9mm that takes Glock 17 mags. Virtually no recoil (which was one of your requirements), good capacity, relatively inexpensive training ammo, easy to find magazines that are compatible with one of the most common handguns in the world, and, something no one has mentioned yet, it won't blow your eardrums out of your skull when you fire it indoors like a .223 carbine will. You could have the gun and six mags giving you quick access to over 100 rounds for $500. It's even light enough to shoot one-handed if one arm/hand was injured.

Since you are averse to recoil a pistol caliber carbine also slipped to the top of my list. An AR doesn't have much recoil but the PCC have even less. A PCC has greater power than a comparable pistol and is easier to employ than a pistol. Ballistics of the 9mm out of a 16 inch barrel are pretty good too.

I ended up with a Glock dedicated lower and a MechTech upper in 9mm -- with a 1-4x scope I'm still under $1000. - Since I already had another Glock this gave me two firearms that had interchangeable magazines and parts and they are well supported by aftermarket stuff. Add a light/laser combo and you're in good company.

http://www.mechtechsys.com/index.php

One of the things you need to consider are the tactics you think you'll employ and do you need a 400 meter rifle as a "self defense" weapon? A PCC or shotgun are great in the closer range roles and they're readily available.

My 2c -- figure out the defensive ammo which is best for your situation and then get the gun(s) to shoot it.

223 - tumbles in short distances, so if you miss and it hits dry wall, the round will tumble and you minimize penetrations. Typical 223 Firearms can take 30 rnd magazines and in a SHTF you will fight with what you have.
handgun - have a matched set - carbine & pistol using 1 ammo - I like this if you have to gather people in your house such as children or parents or someone who is not mobile. The carbine is useful for family members who don't practice as often; and recoil feels minimal. A heavy (ie steel) pistol also minimizes recoil. And if you prefer wheel guns you can use that combo just as well.
shotgun - often sighted as best, at inside home distances bird shot is effective and penetration is minimized. And, if your home isn't a castle, a 20ga is an effective choice.

For a typical suburban setting - neighbor houses about 20 feet away, I like the 223.

In my case, my hunker down location is the master bedroom, I hide behind the bed and point at the door - anyone breaking thru gets it. BUT if I draw a line, the next stop is the window of the bedroom across the hall then my neighbors house across the street. So, I have selected a Shotty with bird shot. If it does get to his house, bird shot will stop against his siding. And I have a couple of slugs and buck shot shells in the on-gun holder as backup.

If you live in an apartment or out in the country - plan accordingly.

Don't forget Clint Smith's go to home defense option. Fire Extinguisher. Spray 'em with the White Powder, Hit 'em with the Red Can.

Hit a Pawn Shop or the Used Section of your Local Gun Store. Use most the $1500 for survival gear: Medical supplies, Food, Water purification, Fire Making, Shelter Making, Lentils - lots of lentils, Seeds for next years crop (to eat then.) A dog. You might want a 30.06 (or other elk taker) to hunt for next years meals, but those are not necessarily the best home defense rounds.

This advice is worth what you paid for it.

Being the frugal person I am, I want my money to go as far as I can.

20 gauge Remington set up tactical with sling, and extra shell holders on the sling and buttstock. Probably single 0 buckshot for the load. 20 gauge recoil is much less than the 12 gauge.

Glock .40 for the side arm and the rest on ammo and tactical gear.

Pistol for inside 15 yards.

Shotgun with buck for 15 to 60 yards.

AR in .223 out 60 to 300 yards.

.308 out to 650 -700 yards.

Id go mini 30 because 7.62x39mm is a great round an its supercheap also its a bit heavy but have you thought about a sks?,they are super durable,accurate,an darn near indestructible an all you gotta do is put a lighter stock on it an pick up some larger magazines

From what im hearing you kind of want a all purpose kind of gun,something that can cover survival,SHTF,HD so getting something like a 223 wont do because balistically it doesnt pack a wallop an unless you are a trained marksman you need something that has knockdown,semi automatic,big enough to hunt deer an whatnot,easy to find ammo an light.Well it all comes out to 2 sks Both with a composite stock,one with a scope for hunting,etc.an the other with plain iron sights.also you can get limbsaver recoil pads an 30rd mags for both an a crapload of ammo an be under 1500 especially if you can pick up to used sks(good condition) then just have a gunsmith take off the wooden stocks an install composites or heck you could probably do that

There are a myriad of "opinions" already submitted, and I agree with all of them at one level or another so far. From my Army days and PSD duty (bodyguarding Generals and such) the Rifle-Pistol-Shotgun is the "trifecta" of individual small arms offense/defense. Make, model, caliber, weapon type, and ammo will vary on the task at hand. (One is none, two is one, and three is glee)

In my household I'm not the only "defender" in my domicile, and for home defense, WROL, or TEOWAKI I have these readily available (see below) for initial deployment from the house safe which gives me the option of being the only defender, or passing them out to my "wingmen". In either event I maintain control of the armament at all times like the responsible armorer that I am, and can (and will) repel all "boarders".

BTW- they're called "riot guns", "room brooms", "master keys", and "street sweepers" for a reason. ;)

If there's STILL a situation that still needs dealt with after that (and I'm still standing), then I'll pass out the SERIOUS armament (from the BIG safe) and we get to gettin' busy.o_O

Very nice set up;)

One small thing though...

Master key shotguns have a ported barrel so that the built up pressure has somewhere to go when you jam the gun up against a door.

You may already know that but I thought it was worth mentioning for those not as familiar with shotguns.

Thanks, I forgot to mention they're all upgraded with all metal trigger groups/guards from Brownell's.

As for the "master key", that is easily remedied by holding it 2"-3" off the surface, just like we did in "good" old days before them fancy ports 'n stuff. ;)

I use a Tavor. 26 inch gun. You have a smaller profile then using a hand gun properly. Someone that had a home invasion. large rifle is hard to move around corners while trying to stay in cover. I run a aimpint micro and a streamlight light. With a good sling would make taking your gun from you a lot harder.
Tons of videos that show your 9mm or 12ga slung can punch through 7-9 wall.

But downside not cheap.

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but between Ferguson, Amnesty for Illegals and I-594, I can't shake the feeling that we have a sh*t-storm about to break on us.

Anyway, in light of this I'm starting to seriously consider pulling a chunk out of my nest-egg that I was teeing up to invest and divert it into a Home Defense rifle/carbine/shotgun, with spare mags and training ammo.

Budget is $1500 dead max, in Puget Sound prices. I generally can't use most rifle stocks due to some body-shape issues, so something not highly dependent on a "shoulder pocket" to resist recoil would help. (AK--mind you, not the semi-only civvie toys but this was a Class 2 FFL friend's real-deal Rock-and-Roll version--and 12-gauge alike wrecked my shoulder for a few weeks each, and firing his Thompson the butt was down in my armpit, still yielding pretty good accuracy by tommy-gun standards*.) Personal preference is something like an M1 Carbine, but I am open to AR-platforms.
*Usually minute of milk-jug, for that session.

Anyone out there in the Puget Sound area have any advice here? Am I just being skittish, or who should I call and what should I ask for and expect to pay? Mags and ammo I can of course order online for building up after the initial start if it turns out to be "making mountain of molehill," but priority is on getting to Effective Means to Repel Home Invasion ASAP.

Thanks in advance, guys (and the few gals)! :)

This is a bit of a necro thread, but since you live in the same neck of the woods, here is my two cents:

Don't let anyone else tell you what you need. You have to decide that. For inside my house, I've chosen pistols. They are not the best by any means, but I live in a semi-rural area (so riots are not much of a concern) and I have small children, so being able to move things one handed is nice. My potential threat is not the same as others. After watching the Magpul DVD Art of the Dynamic Shotgun, I decided it is not the right weapon system for my house, nor do I have the ability to remain proficient. BTW, all the main Magpul DVDs (carbine, handgun, shotgun) are available at KCLS.

If you are looking at the .223, as someone else has mentioned, consider the Tavor. It is heavier on paper, but you can manuever one handed and it can work like an SBR because of the bullpup design.

If you do not yet have a rifle, take a trip down to Auburn to Rainier Arms. It will probably be higher prices than you want to pay, but you can look at different stocks, triggers, etc. so you can see what you like.

If you can handle the recoil, something in 30 caliber would be better. I peronally have not fired one, but a .300 BLK AR may be the ticket.

AR or AK
(Id go with the AR but that's just me)

I agree, Rifle round all the way. And much of the "over penetration" is not a huge concern with a fast moving 40- 55 gr bullet. They will come apart as soon as they touch just about anything

I dont think you should consider a shotgun as a replacement for a rifle. I think you need both a rifle and a shotgun. :D
Then to scare them away,smile real big and set off one of those shot timers like it's a 3 gun match

Well since this thread has woken from the dead, I thought I'd share a nice deal on a pistol caliber carbine that Botach Tactical has been running all week - Beretta CX4 Storm with (5) 17-round CX4/PX4 magazines: $579.95 with free shipping. I've wanted a CX4 for a long time, but they were always more than I wanted to pay. At this price, the lowest by far I've ever seen, I couldn't pass it up. And, if you prefer, you can buy an inexpensive conversion kit to use 92 magazines instead of PX4 mags.

If anyone is interested, the price is still good as of this morning: http://www.botach.com/beretta-cx4-storm-9mm-patrol-carbine-w-five-17rd-px4-magazines/

Well since this thread has woken from the dead, I thought I'd share a nice deal on a pistol caliber carbine that Botach Tactical has been running all week - Beretta CX4 Storm with (5) 17-round CX4/PX4 magazines: $579.95 with free shipping. I've wanted a CX4 for a long time, but they were always more than I wanted to pay. At this price, the lowest by far I've ever seen, I couldn't pass it up. And, if you prefer, you can buy an inexpensive conversion kit to use 92 magazines instead of PX4 mags.

If anyone is interested, the price is still good as of this morning: http://www.botach.com/beretta-cx4-storm-9mm-patrol-carbine-w-five-17rd-px4-magazines/

Funny, I had no interest in that one until hickok45 reviewed it and now I want one. still think Its ugly but now I want one. I need to stop watching his stuff because I end up wanting everything he reviews.

Funny, I had no interest in that one until hickok45 reviewed it and now I want one. still think Its ugly but now I want one. I need to stop watching his stuff because I end up wanting everything he reviews.

Yeah, some folks are put off by the looks, but I like most guns, even more modern looking ones like this. And yes, I've watched both of his CX4 videos, he doesn't help the average gun-owner's budget ;)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top