JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone have one of these I could rent or buy? Brownells is out of stock and I'm afraid to drop the rifle off with my gunsmith because he has months of backlog.

BROWNELLS STUCK CASE PULLER | Brownells

I pulled a bonehead move and ended up with a case stuck in the chamber of my Swede while loading a dummy round to check COAL. No primer or powder in it but there is a bullet, which is now shoved back into the case. Tried the brass rod trick but it is just getting wedged between the bullet and the side of the case and probably increasing the tension between the case and the chamber as I tap on it.

An essential piece of equipment nobody buys until it is essential.

You can "bootleg" the process if you have a tap: drill out the primer pocket and tap it. get a socket that fits over the brass head but not over the base of the die. Thread a bolt into the brass head thru the socket. socket bears on the base of the die, continuing to turn the bolt backs out the brass.

Or, get in the car and drive like hell.

*******sorry, misread the post***** erase erase!

Use a long wood dowel that's nearly the bore diameter and you should be able to tap it out from the muzzle end.

Of course this should never be done with a live cartridge.

I have a broke shell extractor somewhere .The back of the case needs to be missing . It for 7.63x39 . If the other suggestons dont work get ahold of me and you can borrow it

I have a broke shell extractor somewhere .The back of the case needs to be missing . It for 7.63x39 . If the other suggestons dont work get ahold of me and you can borrow it
When the case head came off of a fired cartridge in Dad's 303 British, my uncle screwed a tap into the remaining case and then tapped it out with a dowel. Old farm boys...

Maybe a silly question but how stuck is it? Did the bolt close hard when you chamberd it? Not sure how hard you tapped on it? If it were mine (and only because its not live) I would not be afraid to try and pound it out with a wood rod almost caliber size. If that didn't work, I might try an alum rod with more pressure. But that's me. Maybe someone will come thru with a puller. Good Luck

I'm convinced that a wood/brass/aluminum rod isn't going to do it. I got pretty aggressive with a hammer and brass rod and ended up forming a chisel end on a round rod because it's wedging between bullet and the side of the case.

Sounds like your brass rod was too small in diameter. You want something large enough it doesn't have room to move off center.

You may be right. I'll pick up a 1/4" rod. I think the one I was using is 3/16". Failing that, I might try spitpatch's tap and socket idea.

You may be right. I'll pick up a 1/4" rod. I think the one I was using is 3/16". Failing that, I might try spitpatch's tap and socket idea.
Spitpatch was thinking you had a case stuck in a sizing die, but I think you could do a similar thing if you had a long drill bit, then could tap the hole in the case and thread in a long threaded rod. Then with some kind of large washer or cross bar, one could use a nut on the threads to pull the case out.
Still, I'd try a fatter rod first. That sounds like a lot of work.:D

I actually tried a 3/16" lag stud (wood screw on one and straight thread on the other) with a rod coupler and all thread but broke the stud while tightening it into the case. I will go to a 1/4" thread if I drill and tap.

Success! A 1/4" aluminum rod and a few loving taps with a single jack did the trick. It may have also helped that I had put a mixture of Hoppes #9 and CLC down the bore last night since I had plugged the primer flash hole with that lag stud. Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Thanks for the offer, that's very generous of you. I have that tool and had figured out my ogive length, which is quite a bit longer than what will fit in the magazine. Like I said, it was just a bonehead move on my part. I put the dummy round in the magazine after getting my final seating depth to make sure it would cycle and then chambered it. I forgot that I hadn't sized the case and instead of stopping when the bolt handle got tight, I kept going. I knew better which makes this lesson learned a little more painful.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top