JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
-
. NV has nothing to do with it . Is this the misinformed leading the unwary ? . Hunting any game tag animal at night like deer, elk etc. . Everyone knows It is called Poaching and is illegal . Are you calling me a Poacher going out and hunting year round at night with NV and dispatch of Nuisance/varmint ?

My understanding is, NV has everything to do with it. From the regs:
  • Hunt any wildlife with infrared or any other night vision sight.
"Wildlife" means fish, wild birds, amphibians, reptiles, wild mammals and feral swine.

State Game tag animal and varmint/nuisance animal different, and also hunting private AG and BLM land is much different .

also you can use an IR supplement with NV . NV is not IR . IR is nm frequency of light projection . a NV unit gathers light and intensifies protons for a projected image you are viewing, not emitting/projection of light .

-
. NV has nothing to do with it . Is this the misinformed leading the unwary ? . Hunting any game tag animal at night like deer, elk etc. . Everyone knows It is called Poaching and is illegal . Are you calling me a Poacher going out and hunting year round at night with NV and dispatch of Nuisance/varmint ?

Hunting of deer and elk is generally not allowed with night vision however predator hunting or hog hunting (pest animal hunting) are both legal with night vision in many states.

State Game tag animal and varmint/nuisance animal different, and also hunting private AG and BLM land is much different .

also you can use an IR supplement with NV . NV is not IR . IR is nm frequency of light projection . a NV unit gathers light and intensifies protons for a projected image you are viewing, not emitting/projection of light .

Are you kidding? Read the regs. Any kind of NV is not legal for hunting in Oregon no matter what you are after or land you are on.

Hunting of deer and elk is generally not allowed with night vision however predator hunting or hog hunting (pest animal hunting) are both legal with night vision in many states.

But not Oregon.

kind of what I posted reply to ( angler ) above . been hunting coyote for many many years at night round here .

Just because you have never been caught doesn't make it legal.

WTH? What did you say? Anything that lets you see at night is Night Vision.

I had an X-sight on a 22LR for recording vids and was observed by a game cop during the day shooting squeeks down by lakeview. He came by and told me any night sight is illegal in Oregon!!! I don't have that sight anymore.

Last Edited:
After 3 mnths of researching and asking them what own Gen3 stuff, I found two points or reference stand out. Harris HP+ green from JRH for around $3100
or if you need better deep dark forest performance, for $1000 more….
TNV/PVS-14 L3 Gen3 Un-Filmed White Phosphor
Neither should be weapon mounted, but augment with an IR laser like Steiner OTAL Class 1 IR Laser
or if super serious a MAWL B.E. Meyers MAWL-C1+ IR / Visible Laser

Honestly, I think renting would be the best for most hunters.
Photonis 4G INTENS White Phosphor ECHO PVS-14
REAP-IR Mini Thermal Weapon Sight 3-Day Rental
Given the rate of change in electronics…. :)

Last Edited:
After 3 mnths of researching an asking them what own Gen3 stuff, I found two points or reference stand out. Harris HP+ green from JRH for around $3100
or if you need better deep dark forest performance, for $1000 more….
TNV/PVS-14 L3 Gen3 Un-Filmed White Phosphor
Neither should be weapon mounted, but augment with an IR laser like Steiner OTAL Class 1 IR Laser
or if super serious a MAWL B.E. Meyers MAWL-C1+ IR / Visible Laser

Honestly, I think renting would be the best for most hunters.
Photonis 4G INTENS White Phosphor ECHO PVS-14
REAP-IR Mini Thermal Weapon Sight 3-Day Rental
Given the rate of change in electronics…. :)
You mention the top (2) NV devices should not be mounted on weapons, but weapon mount is available in the drop down selection menu. What are your thoughts on this?

You need the PVS-14 to walk at night and not fall over your feet. It should be mounted to your head - period.
My co-witness Aimpoint has a NV setting range, but to get my head+headmount down with PVS attached and behind the Aimpoint is possible, but very awkward. The aimpoint is moved 6" forward and re-zeroed, but the angles and clearances are just awkward.
Prefer shouldering normally, using IR laser, head up in relaxed normal position sight line barely above or to one side of the Aimpoint. I can use the PVS/laser combo on my dominant left eye.

Assuming you are sitting in a hide and not walking, then perhaps the PVS mount makes sense. Not convinced though. Moving in complete darkness at night is just too good an advantage. The laser is a must (visible red/ green or IR would be fine) — an illuminator is not really needed, though I have heard it helps in some situations.

Last Edited:
You need the PVS-14 to walk at night and not fall over your feet. It should be mounted to your head - period.
My co-witness Aimpoint has a NV setting range, but to get my head+headmount down with PVS attached and behind the Aimpoint is possible, but very awkward. The aimpoint is moved 6" forward and re-zeroed, but the angles and clearances are just awkward.
Shouldering normally, use an IR laser, head up in relaxed normal position sight line barely above or to one side of the Aimpoint. I can use the PVS/laser combo on my dominant left eye.

Assuming you are sitting in a hide and not walking, then perhaps the PVS mount makes sense. Not convinced though. Moving in complete darkness at night is just too good an advantage.
Okay, good points. I thought you had an issue with the NV and gun recoil.

I agree the head mount would be best. Sounds like it would get in the way of my weapon mounted Trijicon MRO though.

Excellent thread BTW

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads