JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
i am looking for my first safe. I've looked at FT Knox, Rhino, Liberty and many others. I am limited by my budget, $1200.00.
My concern with some is the thin metal that makes up the majority of the safe, the composite doors and so on.
Obviously I want the best product I can get that will provide security and fire safety. I do not need a large safe, 12 Rifles at most and a few shelves for pistols, ammo Etc.

I would highly recommend Liberty's FatBoy Jr. It is a lot of safe for the money, but it is priced near or just over the top of your budget. Wait for a rebate if you have time, usually knocks off a couple hundred dollars. The guy in Hubbard is excellent to deal with. http://libertysafesoforegon.com/ He has a good inventory if you want to browse and will deliver it quickly and NOT beat up your house in the process. Also his hours are whenever you call.
The FatBoy Jr. is nominally a 48-gun safe, but only if they are all lever-action .22s. Realistically you can put your dozen rifles easily on one side and shelves on the other plus the top shelf for the et cetera.

Craigslist always has some for sale.
Here's an example of one for only $750.00 in the Portland area.
If you remove the doors on safes, they're more manageable to move.

NATIONAL SECURITY
28 GUN
VERY NICE /VERY HEAVY

00Z0Z_58NcBWtjyNj_600x450.jpg

Last Edited:
I looked heavily at Liberty safes but after checking out Fort Knox Vaults, I was sold. They have started making their higher end models with less cosmetic accents and this of course brings the price down. I also HIGHLY recommend that you consider what you will be putting in the box. Try not to limit yourself on a safe budget, get what will work space-wise and go with the thickest, best fire safety rating you can get. If you look to store any type of precious documents, pictures, flash drives etc... IE the stuff that CANNOT be replaced, fire rating and max internal temp is of utmost importance. The Liberty Safe doors do not seem to seal up as tight as the Fort Knox doors, and they are much lighter as well. These are the things I looked at before purchasing, and although I spent well over my $1500.00 budget I gave myself, I could not be happier with the Defender 6637 (66"Hx37"W). I have no fear that the irreplaceable photos and documents along with all my guns and other assorted items will be protected from fire or theft. I am in no way associated with Fort Knox, just a very satisfied customer.

Hmmm....12 rifles...that's 20 to 30k, and then add some decent handguns...see where I am going? Rogue Safe in Medford Or (they can deliver) will build one for you. Bring a lot of money, gain an heirloom. Or...go to Sportsman's
And buy junk.

Others have give some good input.

I will just say as A guy who has bought at least half a dozen gun safes over the years....

1) You can never buy a big enough safe (No matter how big it is, eventually it will not be big enough)

2) You will never regret buying more safe than you think you will need (but you will regret buying less safe than you should)

I have bought better and better safes over the years. The last one I bought was close to $7000. The peace of mind of knowing you have made a real effort to protect your stuff is worth the expense.

Others have give some good input.

I will just say as A guy who has bought at least half a dozen gun safes over the years....

1) You can never buy a big enough safe (No matter how big it is, eventually it will not be big enough)

2) You will never regret buying more safe than you think you will need (but you will regret buying less safe than you should)

I have bought better and better safes over the years. The last one I bought was close to $7000. The peace of mind of knowing you have made a real effort to protect your stuff is worth the expense.

Right on every level!

And when She said what about the pictures, I knew another Fatboy was needed!

LMAO!
And I will go back to Hubbard for that one also.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top