JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Father in law gave me this gun, said his dad purchased it for him in the early 60's used, he did not know the history prior. His Dad had the stock cut down for him, so it is "kid" sized.

Identifying numbers are in pictures, and that is a yard stick.

Any help in a direction to go with identify this weapon would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

There are a couple of indicators I see in your photos that point out (to me at least) that you might have a Spanish Mauser of 1893/1916 vintage. By blowing up your picture I believe I see a rib in the left side of the receiver. All 1893/1916 rifles have this rib and also the bottom of the bolt face will be squared off. Check your bolt face.

A second indicator is the serial number. These rifles commonly have two types of serial numbers; a letter followed by a number, or as in your case: the number 2 followed by a letter (V in your rifle) followed by a 4 digit number.

If the rifle were mine I would first remove the scope and mounts and check for a crest that might be hidden under them. Look carefully; it might be partially or wholly ground off. Next I would consider removing the stock completely and checking for additional marks.

Dumb question----wouldn't it say something like "hecho en espana" instead of "made in spain"?? Is it an export gun of some sort?

Last Edited:
There are a couple of indicators I see in your photos that point out (to me at least) that you might have a Spanish Mauser of 1893/1916 vintage. By blowing up your picture I believe I see a rib in the left side of the receiver. All 1893/1916 rifles have this rib and also the bottom of the bolt face will be squared off. Check your bolt face.

A second indicator is the serial number. These rifles commonly have two types of serial numbers; a letter followed by a number, or as in your case: the number 2 followed by a letter (V in your rifle) followed by a 4 digit number.

If the rifle were mine I would first remove the scope and mounts and check for a crest that might be hidden under them. Look carefully; it might be partially or wholly ground off. Next I would consider removing the stock completely and checking for additional marks.

Bolt is square at the bottom so the 1893 model I believe. I will remove the scope, and look for any makers marks, or stamps, I am new to firearms, and have never removed the stock from a rifle before. I will look for some youtube or some such.

Thanks for the help.

Removing the rifle from stock is as simple as undoing the action screws, one in front of the mag cover and one behind the trigger....(if you had the military stock on it, there would be several other steps)....

Thanks, yeah watched a couple of YouTube videos, figured out the 2 screws. Will have time tomorrow night.

Any advice on supplies for cleaning up this gun, some rust and other residue I see.

More pics:

Beginning of barrel on the top, just forward of receiver

Underside front of receiver

Trigger Assembly

That is all the stamps I could find, let me know if you need more pics to help you, help me :)

Thanks,

James

Fred from spanmauhome believes it was originally a 29" barrel Manufactured in Oviedo, Spain in 1927-1928 according to the serial numbers. So I think I have an answer. New questions to these answers? Why would you cut down the barrel?

I could not open the pictures , so I might be way of base here, but when I worked at a pawn shop , we used to get cut down Spanish Mausers in a lot , many were also converted to .308.
Have you checked to see for sure what caliber your rifle is in?
Andy

I could not open the pictures , so I might be way of base here, but when I worked at a pawn shop , we used to get cut down Spanish Mausers in a lot , many were also converted to .308.
Have you checked to see for sure what caliber your rifle is in?
Andy

This thread is from 2011, the photos in the links are probably long gone by now.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top