JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am 43 and have been working from 13 on. My dad is 40 yrs older than me amd never did any kid stuff with me. Not complaining, just the way it was.
So my problem is I dont know how to have fun or have any real hobbies. I am always working. If not at work I am working on friends or families houses. I do heating and air for my job but do construction stuff to.
This is alll I know is work. Mycounsler tells me I need to find something for me to relax and learn how to enjoy life.
I do have several weapons. Always call them weapons. Military thing. When I see gun posted kind of makes me laugh. Anyway, I do go hunting and shooting some times but thatis about my only outlet.
I dont know if most can relate or not.
What are your other hobbies? or are we all workaholics?

Involved in church, I love to fish, shoot/collect firearms, camping, backpacking, collect gems minerals, and sports-cards, love watching football/basketball with my 19 year old son......Go Blazers .......

My dad is the same way; if he's not working he's sleeping. Only now, at 52, is he starting to realize life is too short to work so hard for things that you can't take with you. He really enjoys BBQ'ing for us when we come up, fishing (bought a brand new $40k boat three years ago and he's taken it out EIGHT TIMES), shooting when we get the chance, and I'm working on getting a 4Runner so we can go play in the woods.

I personally have a lot of hobbies, but unfortunately I really have to work at not being lazy (it doesn't come naturally to me and he worked me hard growing up). I enjoy cigars, bourbon, BBQ'ing, video games, drag racing (driving, not watching), camping, fishing, hiking, and quite a few other things. I'd make a list of things you might like to take up as a hobby and give it an honest month of trying that particular thing. I'm sure you'll find a few you really enjoy ;)

I guess there are a couple of ways to look at it. We can live to work, or work to live.
By that I mean that some folks main focus in life is to work. For others, their main focus in life is doing other things, and working is the means that provides them with the funds to do all those things.

Neither way is right or wrong, it is just how some people approach life. I had to work in order to support all the hobbies, and fun things I wanted to do. Time spent at work was time I couldn't spend on hobbies. But I understand that I have to work in order to get the money for all my hobbies because I'm not independently wealthy, and a life of crime doesn't appeal to me (don't think I would enjoy jail).

If working alot makes you happy, more power to you. But if you aren't happy with working all the time, I would agree with your counselor about finding some fun things to do.

Running, jujutsu, competitive shooting, studying philosophy religion politics, calligraphy, traveling, working with dogs, letter writing, reading poetry, knifemaking and collecting, and other collections are all some of the things that require that I work in order to keep playing at the hobbies.

I think that most hobbies sort of happen..we get interested in something and before you know it, you have a hobby. You already said you like shooting..

Thank you all for your advice and recommendations.
I need to make a list and just try diffrent things.
It will be more a change of lifestyle and relearning how to enjoy life.

:Di also work alot... if i'm not AT work i enjoy wood cutting(call me crazy i've heard it before) it is also a way to spend less $$ during hunting season... :D i also target shoot, reload, prospect for gold.. Don

Some words above seem to make catagories like:
Competative
enjoy live - working too much
love to: watch, do, make, being..love being

Making the time to hobby is a breakthrough point. Sometimes start perfecting something remarkable and show it off. Then another. Before you know it you'll reflect on what makes you smile or makes your mind go to flight.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews