Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Need some guidance about family member with class c felony

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by JGRuby, Jun 19, 2013.

1. JGRuby

JGRuby Portland Oregon New Member

This is no joke
    Since no one knows my nephews name I feel that I can ask some questions
    My nephew came to live with us to go through a methadone treatment process back in February of this year. He has done well and is progressing
    He is now being charged with a class C felony and I have no doubt that the judge will give him an easier sentence since we had him take the truck back and then took him to the police station for booking. He will still be a convicted felon. In order for him to get out on release he needs to find a home till the trial date. We are the only family in the area for several hundred miles. Hence he is coming here I feel. My question being how do I protect my wife and myself since I have no plans of giving my firearms up. I think I know some of the rules but would like to hear realistic information, please.

I know that since he is a criminal he will never shoot, hunt or have access again in his future to firearms - this saddens me except for it was his own doing. He was not using his head on his shoulders. I have stated on here before that once a convicted felon always convicted felon - I feel no different about my own nephew.

The standards I hold for others is the same standard I use for my own.

James Ruby

2. GOG

GOG State of Jefferson Well-Known Member

Do you have a gun safe? If not, get one for starters.

I'm sending you a PM.

3. JGRuby

I have a liberty gun safe and I am the only one that knows the combination.

James Ruby

GOG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. DeanfromOregon

DeanfromOregon Wilsonville Amateur Ascended Master Platinum Supporter

Since you asked for guidance I'll get a little preachy.

I protect my own and there is no way I would bring a junkie into the house. Even those on a legitimate path of recovery are still way to messed up for me to trust. The risk of relapse is fairly high and the consequences could be steep. If you really want to protect your wife, keep him away. Not that he's going to hurt anyone but lying and stealing is common.

If you really want to help then pay for a single wide on a six month lease and give him a weekly stipend until he gets on his feet. It's only money and if he blows it then your loss is limited.

Have him over for Sunday dinner, but don't give him a key to your house.

Blitzkrieg, oknow, PaulZ and 21 others like this.
  5. Father of four

Father of four Portland, Oregon Well-Known Member

How about setting him up in a small trailer trailer in the back yard?

oknow and (deleted member) like this.
  6. JGRuby

I dont have a trailer to give him and though it is hard to admit - he does lie, cheat and steal so we have started locking everything up. He says he does not know why he does what he does and we are now calling BS. Our intention was initially to keep him from jail - the matter of the fact is that my wife and I no longer are trying to do that. If he goes to jail due to his own actions then he goes to jail and pays for his actions. I am fortunate not to have any kids. I am holding him 100% accountable for everything he does.

I am most interested in the rules around felons and firearms. I am not concerned with him being harmful to my wife or myself but more interested in what I need to know - maybe others have been through this before.

James Ruby

GOG and (deleted member) like this.
  7. fallingblock

fallingblock willamette valley Member

I'd like to know the rules on a felon in the same household as firearms (locked up or not). It would be some interesting research and worth a phone call (or two)

JGRuby and (deleted member) like this.
  8. hermannr

hermannr Okanogan Highlands Well-Known Member

To comply with the law, you do need to put your firearms where he will not have access to them. That can be as simple as locking them in your bedroom (if your bedroom door has a lock, if not, get a lock set for it). This is up to your comfort lever, but to comply and not endanger HIS freedom more, this will comply.

If you comfort level with him is not that high, then the gun safe and/or travel trailer ideas will work too. Unfortunate.

9. Father of four

There is no way I would let him live IN my house.

PaulZ, bcdon, Grunwald and 7 others like this.
  10. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Father above. If YOU have to start locking everything up then you have in effect already relinquished your power to him and he knows it and will work even more diabolically to lie, cheat and steal from you. I know this because several years ago I housed a good family friend under similar circumstances and with the exact same problems. It seems once people arrive at this level they have no respect for anyone, including family member and themselves and it seems the more you do for them the more they expect from you, and if you do not give they will take indiscriminately. My friend could not make it in society and is now doing 20 + in OSCI for substance abuse and 18+ DUIIs. Take heed my friend.....

11. pchewn

pchewn Beaverton Oregon USA Well-Known Member

Lots of good advice here... As far as LEGAL goes, my opinion is this: He is not a felon (yet) -- he hasn't been convicted. Maybe he can plea bargain down to a misdemeanor? He is not addicted to an illegal substance (he is on methadone, a legal substance being administered by health professionals).

As far as I can tell, LEGALLY, he is able to own and be around guns.

Eventually, if convicted of a felony, then he can't be around guns until/unless he can have the rights restored.

12. DeanfromOregon

DeanfromOregon Wilsonville Amateur Ascended Master Platinum Supporter

Junkies have junkie friends. If he doesn't rob you, they will. Maybe you won't be home when they rip you off. Maybe you will. Either way, it's not an ideal situation.

You are in the cross hairs right now my friend. Just the way of the world with those guys.

13. JGRuby

He is here in Portland to get him away from where he was having his problems - that is why he going through treatment here and not in his home town where the problems started. Saying that the clinic where he is going through treatment appears to be a perfect place to buy - right outside their doors.

James Ruby

If they want to rip me off I much prefer to be here when they do it.

14. OLDNEWBIE

OLDNEWBIE State of Flux Well-Known Member

If you're determined to have him stay and don't have a safe, I suggest you keep your weapons and jewelry, coin collection etc. at a trusted family members or friends house for a while.
    Even with a safe his friends could make an attempt and cause problems.

15. davef

davef S.E. pdx Active Member

Hate to say this but It might do him some good getting locked up till his trial date. Id never trust a junkie near my house. Its hard cause its family but trust is something that needs to be earned. If you decide otherwise id put cameras all over the house, naw, actually i just wouldnt let him in. isnt there a halfway house or something he can stay in?

16. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

JR,

I commend you on your compassion, personal accountability, and even entertaining the notion of helping this person. There is a branch of my family tree that can't dry up and wither away fast enough for me, and some have even made the news in MAJOR headlines... we're talking child torture/murder, being "street people", dope-addicts, etc. One (a brainless street person) keeps cranking out babies (by different fathers each time) and immediately has them taken by DHS (totally justified, too).

These people need to hit rock bottom and have to WANT to change, accept the fact they won't ever be fully trusted (if ever), and NOT be enabled by kind-hearted folks. They are masterful with the "hard-luck" story, and are always working a scheme/scam. The kindest thing you can do is stand back and let him take his knocks and lumps, and see what he does with it. He will either rise up, or sink... in which case, let him rot.

In the end, you don't owe him a damned thing.

308, ZA_Survivalist, JGRuby and 5 others like this.
  17. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Personally, I wouldn't swerve to miss a known junkie on the side of the road...much less invite one into my home, jeopardizing my family and life.

F*** him. Let him cook in lockup.

Scvette, bcdon, JGRuby and 3 others like this.
  18. Father of four

To me it would be different if the guy (felon or not) was actually trying, but it sounds like the dude would bite the hand that feeds him and then steal the bowel that he ate in. Then lie about both.

19. duane black

duane black Washington Well-Known Member

Start with not inviting a convicted felon that abuses controlled substances into your home. I think your heart is in the right place, but this is your family you are talking about putting at risk here. All it takes is one statement to one of his felon friends about your nice liberty safe and you and your wife's life is in danger. In my experience these people can NOT be trusted and depending on the type of drugs being abused ( meth ) they will do ANYTHING to continue flying high when they are on it. Relapse is more than a possibility with most of these folks, and they can be extremely dangerous even to family and loved ones.

99% of self defense is who you hang out with, where you hang out, and at what time. My point is, don't invite trouble into your life.

20. JGRuby

It would be alot easier if he was not family - my nephew, and up to this point in time he was not a felon. I agree with most comments and appreciate the perspectives. I have tried to protect family as that is what I was taught was the honorable thing to do. "Take care of your own." I have a few weeks before I will be seeing him again to reason this out. When all is done I must be satisfied that the right choice has been made. The input / information has been appreciated.

James Ruby