Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

need some advice

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by mrblond, Aug 2, 2012.

1. mrblond

mrblond Salem OR Well-Known Member

I just got a ACOG for my AR and I have having a hell of a time removing the mount as i have a Larue coming Monday. I have tried heating the bolts with a hot screwdriver as well as using steam to try and heat them but they simply will not budge and they are beginning to strip. any advice on how to get them off there without wrecking my scope?

2. Silver Hand

Silver Hand Southern Oregon Coast Well-Known Member

Put a hot soldering iron on the screws let them get hot - to hot to touch. Then remove the screws. Probably red lock tight holding things. The hotter the iron the better. 550 watts is about what I use. Things should work out with a good hot soldering gun or iron.

3. Silver Hand

Posted some information for you

4. mrblond

yeah, I tried the iron and maybe I did int leave it on long enough but they did int budge. my iron is no where near enough wattage. I am going to hit it with the good o'l blowtorch as soon as I can get my hands on fuel.

5. Silver Hand

Don't use a gas torch unless you are very careful, You might consider a pen type Butane torch, you can ruin things in a hurry. Some Aluminum melts about 700 degrees. Cross hairs in the scope will go away much sooner I imagine. Just find a friend with a soldering iron or call a few pawn shops for about ten bucks you can own a nice tool that will come in handy wiring your car stereo or something else in the future.

6. mrblond

what I have is butane. As I understand it you need around 400 degrees to soften the red loctite and my 60 watt iron won't come close to that.

7. Silver Hand

Just don't over do it and melt something.

8. mrblond

well, I got it off, I was suprised how hot I had to get it to be-able to crack the bolts. the entire scope got pretty hot but all looks well.

9. Silver Hand

Alright glad to here you were successful.
    Be careful aligning your new scope to the mounts. Then Place the scope in the mounts [loosely] up to your cheek with eye closed - open your eye and move the scope into position. do it again and again until you see a clear picture when your eye is open through the scope. Slightly adjust the cross hairs [ if any ] bolt it down.
    Good luck

10. Silver Hand

Alright glad to here you were successful.
    Be careful aligning your new scope to the mounts. Then Place the scope in the mounts [loosely] up to your cheek with eye closed - open your eye and move the scope into position. do it again and again until you see a clear picture when your eye is open through the scope. Slightly adjust the cross hairs [ if any ] bolt it down.
    Good luck