JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
We'll say I have a "friend" :s0114: who was a minor in Arizona when his stepfather purchased, privately, a .357 taurus revolver. This friend, no longer a minor, and his family have recently moved to Washington, and the son bought the firearm from his stepfather.

No issues had arisen because it was really a target gun shot for fun. However, my "friend" intends to go hiking in the big bad woods this summer, and would like to carry it in case a mean old bear decides he's hungry, friend somehow wanders between mama and cub, etc.

Are there any legal issues that could arise in this situation? "Friend" didn't know the seller in Arizona very well, so can't really vouch for the fellow one way or another, and said friend doesn't want to carry the firearm if there is any conflict that he hasn't foreseen. "Friend" has ADD and is uncomfortable at being confronted by even the most unlikely of scenarios.

Are there any ways to verify this firearms legality? Any steps to take to make sure everything is square?

We'll say I have a "friend" :s0114: who was a minor in Arizona when his stepfather purchased, privately, a .357 taurus revolver. This friend and his family have recently moved to Washington, and the son bought the firearm from his stepfather.

No issues had arisen because it was really a target gun shot for fun. However, my "friend" intends to go hiking in the big bad woods this summer, and would like to carry it in case a mean old bear decides he's hungry, friend somehow wanders between mama and cub, etc.

Are there any legal issues that could arise in this situation? "Friend" didn't know the seller in Arizona very well, so can't really vouch for the fellow one way or another, and said friend doesn't want to carry the firearm if there is any conflict that he hasn't foreseen. "Friend" has ADD and is uncomfortable at being confronted by even the most unlikely of scenarios.

Are there any ways to verify this firearms legality? Any steps to take to make sure everything is square?

I do not know what your concern is. Because it is so vague...what do you consider a Minor? then maybe you might consider reading RCW 9.41.060(8) and RCW 9.41.042.

You are concerned, and the firearm came from a family member????? Please...what is your problem?

I also would suggest you go to washington Fish and Wildlife web site. look for "publications", then look for "hunting" within publications, and download the firearms safety bulletin...AND READ IT CAREFULLY. It has all the state firearms laws...OK?

to help you along a bit....here is a link to RCW 9.41.060 RCW 9.41.060: Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

Background check would determine if it was stolen.
If it is, it would have to be forfeited.

Does one go to an FFL for that, or check in with the PD? Forfeiting a stolen weapon is of no concern, of course that's the appropriate course of action. I'm just not sure of how to make that happen. Also, there's no trouble that will arise from it being turned in, is there?

hermannr:

I thought my concern was pretty obvious. I want to know how to find out if a weapon is not legal. The family member is not the concern. I want to make sure that somewhere in the chain, it wasn't ill gotten from someone along the way, before it's open carried in the woods.

Does one go to an FFL for that, or check in with the PD? Forfeiting a stolen weapon is of no concern, of course that's the appropriate course of action. I'm just not sure of how to make that happen. Also, there's no trouble that will arise from it being turned in, is there?

hermannr:

I thought my concern was pretty obvious. I want to know how to find out if a weapon is not legal. The family member is not the concern. I want to make sure that somewhere in the chain, it wasn't ill gotten from someone along the way, before it's open carried in the woods.

That should not be a concern at all...do you not trust your step-father?

Millions of firearms are sold privately every year, only a very very small fraction of them are stolen. Even if the pistol was stolen, and someone questioned it, you still would not be in trouble (other than the firearm would be returned to it's true owner) That would be the least of my worries if I were you. You assume the weapon is legal, as you legally obtained it. Don't listen to the Brady bunch and their crap.

You called yourself? a minor? Please do give a definition of "minor"? WA law is quite clear and eay to read. There are breakpoints as to age..which RCW do I need to point you to? I was reading your post as could you carry it...not whether it was "legal" or not. Age please? 14>16, 16>18, Over 18? Under 14?

Thank you SturgeonSlayer. I'll just do that then.

That should not be a concern at all...do you not trust your step-father?

Millions of firearms are sold privately every year, only a very very small fraction of them are stolen. Even if the pistol was stolen, and someone questioned it, you still would not be in trouble (other than the firearm would be returned to it's true owner) That would be the least of my worries if I were you. You assume the weapon is legal, as you legally obtained it. Don't listen to the Brady bunch and their crap.

You called yourself? a minor? Please do give a definition of "minor"? WA law is quite clear and eay to read. There are breakpoints as to age..which RCW do I need to point you to? I was reading your post as could you carry it...not whether it was "legal" or not. Age please? 14>16, 16>18, Over 18? Under 14?

I corrected it. I'm not a minor anymore. I'm not concerned about actual carry laws, I'm perfectly legal and know the laws. My concern isn't that said step-father got it illegally. I know that is not the case. My concern is that it is a gun that was manufactured in 1989 and has likely been through many owners in private purchases. The stepfather didn't buy it or get it illegally, again, I'm worried only about the chain of custody from the original purchaser on, until the stepdad.

Thanks for the help though, I'll contact the sheriff and ease my mind.

Thank you SturgeonSlayer. I'll just do that then.

I corrected it. I'm not a minor anymore. I'm not concerned about actual carry laws, I'm perfectly legal and know the laws. My concern isn't that said step-father got it illegally. I know that is not the case. My concern is that it is a gun that was manufactured in 1989 and has likely been through many owners in private purchases. The stepfather didn't buy it or get it illegally, again, I'm worried only about the chain of custody from the original purchaser on, until the stepdad.

Thanks for the help though, I'll contact the sheriff and ease my mind.

If I remember correctly Oregon has an 800 number you can call if that is your concern. However, it would not be my concern. I have a lot of weapons that are a lot older yours, some of them obtained prior to CGA68 when there were NO checks of any kind. One is from 1903, one from 1927, 1935?, 1952 the only gun I own that came from a dealer new I purchased in 1964, there were no backgrown checks, prohibited persons, federal forms...nothing.

I'll see if I can find the Oregon 800 number for you. ok..it's 1-800-432-5059

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads