JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Ok, so I've decided to get off my *** and buy my first gun. the gun I have always wanted is a steyr AUG, so naturally I've settled on a Mini 14. Same thing, right!? ;)

I've shot a couple .223's but it was like 20 years ago when I was a teenager; an M16 and an AR 180, and I really liked both of them.

But I'm thinking if I just had one gun, the Mini 30 might be a better choice, I'd like to maybe start deer hunting, but since I'm a noob I gotta be honest and admit I'm not going to shoot one in the eye @ 500 yards with a .223

So then I start reading that Ruger re-tooled in '05 and newer guns are way more accurate.

So here's my questions: how does a mini 30 'feel' compared to a mini 14? way more kick, or just a bit? Muzzle Climb in rapid fire etc.

Do I need a 'more accurate' mini 30? I'm not target shooting, but I would like to hit what I aim at as I get a little better.

is there a huge difference in ammo cost?

Other major issues I'm just too dumb to know yet? In particular any common trouble areas on these guns I should pay attention to?

The mini 30 seems to be a great deer rifle if you ask my brother. He has every caliber in bolt actions but lately he has switched to it for deer.

Thanks for the comments so far guys, I really appreciate it. The damned things are hard to find. It's going to live on a boat so I'm pretty set on Stainless.

Nobody would really be too worried getting an older series gun?

Pokerace since you have both can you comment on how they 'feel' compared to each other when shooting?

I have both the mini 14 and mini 30. They are a hoot to shoot in my opinion. Seem to be very accurate out to 100-150 yards or so. Not like an AR but plenty accurate enough for deer hunting in the woods.
I would choose the 30 for deer too. Same with hog hunting and even coyotes. You will always get that second or third shot with those rifles.

The are made like tanks when you pull them down and look at how they are put together. Much less complicated that an AR, which I am building right now too.

Here is my Mini-30 with its new hogue Ghillie Green stock:

Mini30-newriflewithgraystock.jpg

If you are planning on having more then one or two mags the .30 might not be a good choice. GOOD mags (ones that function well) they are harder to find and expensive.

If you are planning on having more then one or two mags the .30 might not be a good choice. GOOD mags (ones that function well) they are harder to find and expensive.

I imagine you can order them right from the Ruger website, probably on back-order right now but then all high capacity good quality magazines are on back-order.

But the 5 round magazines which you need for hunting are available lots of places. Its the high capacity stuff that is impossible to find. What is a big surprise is the 5 round mags cost a lot more than the high capacity for some reason.

Its the high capacity stuff that is impossible to find. What is a big surprise is the 5 round mags cost a lot more than the high capacity for some reason.

Lol, that's what started this whole dilemma I find myself in. I decided that I was going to pick up a couple mags for my eventual gun, while looking for mini 14's I found a 10/22 takedown I liked so I got sidetracked and bought that, then couldn't decide caliber so thought buying mags would be silly, and then couldn't actually find any mags anywhere.

In retrospect I should have just bought a case of magazines marked em up to $150 and used the profit to buy the gun!!! Day late and a dollar short again, story of my life.

Lol, that's what started this whole dilemma I find myself in. I decided that I was going to pick up a couple mags for my eventual gun, while looking for mini 14's I found a 10/22 takedown I liked so I got sidetracked and bought that, then couldn't decide caliber so thought buying mags would be silly, and then couldn't actually find any mags anywhere.

In retrospect I should have just bought a case of magazines marked em up to $150 and used the profit to buy the gun!!! Day late and a dollar short again, story of my life.

You know, that Ruger take down is one sweet rifle. Its really all you need anyway for most of the inexpensive shooting that we do. Those Ruger 25 round mags are also getting hard to find. I doubt if any rimfire mag will be included in any magazine ban. I picked up a couple of them back a few months ago and am glad I did since my son and I both own the Ruger 10/22s and shoot them more often than the other calibers.

Pokerace since you have both can you comment on how they 'feel' compared to each other when shooting?

I've also had both Mini-14 and Mini-30. The kick is a bit more with the 30 but really quite managable. I wouldn't even worry about recoil. In terms of any older Mini, I wouldn't advise it unless you can fire it and confirm the accuracy. Some were quite accurate, some were not. The new ones all seem to be good to excellent.

Thanks for the comments so far guys, I really appreciate it. The damned things are hard to find. It's going to live on a boat so I'm pretty set on Stainless.

Check and ask your questions here, very knowledgeable and helpful members,,,,;)

Ruger Semi-Auto - Ruger Forum

I imagine you can order them right from the Ruger website, probably on back-order right now but then all high capacity good quality magazines are on back-order.

I stand corrected. I just recall Mini mags being expensive for what they are. I see them listed (out of stock) at Brownell's for $40.

I was reading somewhere that Mini's had issues with breaking firing pins on mil-surplus ammo (hard primers). Have to send the bolt back to Ruger to get it replaced...they don't sell firing pins.

Mini 14 and Mini 30 firing pin from Numrich Arms # 291460 $32.60

It's a tough question, unless you are serious about hunting deer with your Mini. Then I would suggest the 30 hands down. 7.62x39 ammo is easy to come by and fairly cheap. I have an SKS that to me is what you want your Mini to be for you. In fact, you may want to even take a peek at an SKS, even if its not stainless steel.

Thanks all. I bought a stainless 30 from a mitchgraves. way more than I wanted to spend but he wasn't gouging like some are, (2k for a mini 14, really!?) seems a pretty fair deal, we'll see if it slices off the fairway tomorrow :)

I would not own any center-fire rifle made by Ruger. the mini-14 is pretty legendary for minute-of-berm accuracy. and tends to DESTROY very pricey .223 brass.

For an extra $100 you can buy a very nice M4 clone from lots of manufacturers that will last you a lifetime, shoot at 1/2/-1 MOA out of the box, DOESN'T eat brass and can be accesorized or improved to your heart's delight for small money. Try accurizing a mini-14. Ya, good luck with that on a budget.

I would not own any center-fire rifle made by Ruger. the mini-14 is pretty legendary for minute-of-berm accuracy. and tends to DESTROY very pricey .223 brass.

For an extra $100 you can buy a very nice M4 clone from lots of manufacturers that will last you a lifetime, shoot at 1/2/-1 MOA out of the box, DOESN'T eat brass and can be accesorized or improved to your heart's delight for small money. Try accurizing a mini-14. Ya, good luck with that on a budget.

I haven't seen a lot of AR's for $800. Don't get me wrong, I love AR's but I have a feeling you're not going to be able to have them out in public :)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top