Welcome to Northwest Firearms
Join our community, sign up for free today!

Need replacement decapping pin # for RCBS Carbide Die

arakboss

Reactions
I have an RCBS 44 mag/spl carbide die set I purchased used (part# 18608). It is missing the decapping pin in the sizing die and I understand there are several different part numbers of pins. Does anybody here know which pin number I would need to replace it? See pic for type of unit I have.
20190721_074100.jpg

Legs

Reactions
RCBS #90164... pack of five. I have the same set up on my 45 Colt die.

OP
A

arakboss

Reactions
RCBS #90164... pack of five. I have the same set up on my 45 Colt die.
I had a package of #90164s but when I dropped one in I could not even begin to thread it back together. I think I might need a non-headed pin.

Legs

Reactions
Without disassembling my old 45 Colt size/decapping steel die (early 80's) I'm willing to bet it is the older large size straight style pin. I do not believe those pins are still offered. Those pins are still used on some style competition dies, however, I see on the RCBS site they offer an upgrade decapping assembly for the older dies that accept headed pins.
Incidentally, when I punch in your die number in RCBS search it brings up a standard non carbide die set. Below is their link, with a picture and description on how to tell a carbide set from a regular set.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you come up with.

OP
A

arakboss

Reactions
Without disassembling my old 45 Colt size/decapping steel die (early 80's) I'm willing to bet it is the older large size straight style pin. I do not believe those pins are still offered. Those pins are still used on some style competition dies, however, I see on the RCBS site they offer an upgrade decapping assembly for the older dies that accept headed pins.
Incidentally, when I punch in your die number in RCBS search it brings up a standard non carbide die set. Below is their link, with a picture and description on how to tell a carbide set from a regular set.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you come up with.
Thanks for that link. I think you might be right. Thanks

Legs

Reactions
@arakboss ... So I tore into some loose reloading stuff I got and came up with these packages of early pins. My understanding there are two sizes, Large and Small. Unsure of their diameter I measured these up, still in the package, and they came out .065 and .074 with the .003 packaging. Unfortunately, there are no item numbers on the packages, but all my dies are RCBS, so I picked these up years ago in my early reloading days. Just a note, I have never broken a pin and I reload for seven calibers, but none progressively.

If you would like one of each I would be happy to send them to you, on me. PM me your address if so.

P1160001.JPG

OP
A

arakboss

Reactions
@arakboss ... So I tore into some loose reloading stuff I got and came up with these packages of early pins. My understanding there are two sizes, Large and Small. Unsure of their diameter I measured these up, still in the package, and they came out .065 and .074 with the .003 packaging. Unfortunately, there are no item numbers on the packages, but all my dies are RCBS, so I picked these up years ago in my early reloading days. Just a note, I have never broken a pin and I reload for seven calibers, but none progressively.

If you would like one of each I would be happy to send them to you, on me. PM me your address if so.

View attachment 602202
Thank you for the offer. I stopped by Cabela's and picked up part #9609 (5 pack) and they fit perfectly. I appreciate the your efforts. I could have upgraded the entire stem to a new unit that accepts headed pins but I don't think I will be having to change the pins very often.

LATEST REVIEWS

• Revelation Arms
    1.00 star(s)
    A few years back, I had him thread the barrel on an AK. The threads were not aligned with the...
    • Howard1955
  • Oregon Rifleworks
    4.00 star(s)
    I found Oregon Rifleworks because I used to take public transit to Tigard and the Wes stops off...
    • corey_pdx
  • Ed's Guns and Gear
    5.00 star(s)
    With multiple FFL/shops closing over the last few months, it’s nice to see Ed doing so well...
    • PNW Partisan
  • Ed's Guns and Gear
    5.00 star(s)
    Ed's a great guy with a good peronality and good customer service. I enjoy supporting his small...
    • jaytee0115
  • Revelation Arms
    1.00 star(s)
    I will preface this with the fact that this poor reference is only based on my experience...
    • trekkerpaul