JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a 2009 NH Custom & the slide is Nitride coated per their Tech Support. Mine has a bit of muzzle rub so I'd like to find a 'smith or company that will make it as new. I didn't even bother to ask NH - their prices are stratospheric.

I know it could be Cerakoted to look just like new but would rather have the real deal and would appreciate recommendations from members who've had someone Nitride coat one of their guns, slides, etc.

Thanks

Nitriding is a surface hardening heat treat process. It's not going to wear off. The finish will, but not the Nitride. Have it touched up with Cerakote and call it a day. Or, leave it be and don't worry about it.

Larger manufacturers have their own onsite salt bath equipment.

Smaller companies tend to send their products to a company to perform the process.

While there are companies that take in personal stuff to have the process performed, I've never really heard of getting something touched up via doing it again. I'm not sure what that would even do to the metal. The process not only gives the metal that unique dark grey color, it is also a metal hardening process. By doing the process a second time, I'm uncertain to what that would mean for the already heat treated metals?

Here is a cross section of something that has been through the process. Notice the darker outer portion.

1609968971699.jpeg

Also, it is still steel, so it can be "polished" so to say. Two pieces rubbing together with smooth out the metal via friction, polishing the metal in a sense. This portion will appear to have lost its finish, it has not. It is still nitride finished. Here is an example on a Glock barrel. The finish looks like it wore off, but it is still there, just the metal has polished out via friction from the contact points.

1609969205638.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top