JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am a newbie to reloading & in need of a practice range recipe for 9mm 115 RNP using Power Pistol I cant find one on any of the reloading sites using Power Pistol & 115 RNP any help would be greatly appreciated I want to use it in my 1911 chambered for 9mm

Last Edited:
The Nosler link show a start at 5.6. That should be perfect for some range ammo.No need to power it up to hit a piece of paper.
I use any powder and any grain weight,not so much the brand on the bullet side. I just match the powder with the bullet weight.
(power pistol with any 115gr bullet,etc. defense ammo I look at the bullet manufacturer's book if possible)

Referencing a Hornady book, 115gr 9mm, Power Pistol starts at 4.8gr @ 1000fps to 6.7gr @ 1250fps. If I were to recommend a load, I would start no higher than 5.0gr for paper punching. You can always add more if the load is too wimpy, but starting too high is pretty much a "game-ender" in my book.

The Nosler link show a start at 5.6. That should be perfect for some range ammo.No need to power it up to hit a piece of paper.
I use any powder and any grain weight,not so much the brand on the bullet side. I just match the powder with the bullet weight.
(power pistol with any 115gr bullet,etc. defense ammo I look at the bullet manufacturer's book if possible)

Thanks for all the info i set my OAL to 1.155 with a .376 crimp using RNP bullets so I was thinking of starting out with 5.5 powder load

>I am a newbie to reloading & in need of a practice range recipe for 9mm 115 RNP using Power Pistol

Try buying and READING a reloading manual. I am not sure what a RNP is, but I will guess it is a plated RN bullet, and not a FMJ-FP. I will also assume that you mean 9x19 (9mm Parabellum/9mm Luger) and not the other fifteen 9mm handgun cartridges that exist. Just as point of interest, I load 9x19, 9x21, and 9x23 in 1911s. These are all 9mm.
If you check the bullet manufacturer, they will help you with loads. If a plated bullet, then you load like cast lead. The bullet manufacturer or powder manufacturer will be more than happy to help you and they are more reliable than loading data on the web.
If you know how to work up a load and determine the COL that is best for your bullet and gun, then work up to 6.0gn of Power Pistol.

I wasn't going to post on this thread but, seeing as noylj brought it up.....It is not wise IMO to go to a discussion forum looking for reloading recipes. Many reloading books, (if you reload you certainly have reloading books?) will have Proven recipes available. I turned around and had two sources of written recipes for what you were asking on my table! Bullet/powder manufacturers will have proven recipes on their web sites for printing, (I print those). Heck, those same manufacturers may even have business hours telephone numbers with live people that will talk to you regarding difficulties you might be having with their product.

Always have more than one (several?) source(s) of info available to work up safe loads.
Oh, and don't blow yourself or your gun up!

Mike

Thanks Noyij & Mike Yes I did mean plated 9mm for Luger as I will be using these in my 1911 The reason I posted for a good recipe is that the books I have read & some of the powder manufactures such as Alliant do not have a recipe for 115 g plated round nose I tried calling with no success & even emailed them a week ago with no response My Lee pro 1000 progressive does not even list Power Pistol. I understand the need to start with a low load & work up but I am only looking for target loads I am going out to the range this week & try the 10 that I made to see how they do. Once again I am a "newbie"" but appreciate all your advise.

Try buying and READING a reloading manual.
Yep - this is probably the best advice. A reloading manual, with it's established data is where you start. As you gain experience you might want to check out powder and bullet sites for additional data they have accumulated on their specific products but a reloading manual is the 'bible' of the reloader!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top