JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I here been very happy with my VP9 and P30. Sold my Glocks/CZ P01s after shooting them side by side with the HK's. The VP9($599) is just as concealable as a G19($550), the costs are close and with the HK the sights are steel.

I'd give a +1 for the FNS9, like others have said its a lot of features for the money. I have several thousand rounds through mine, it has the night sites, great gun! I like the M&P and the Glocks too. Never shot a Walther or anXDs, I hear good things about both.

-mailbox full-

Give a holler if you'd like to try out my Ruger LC9s. Will definitely be slim for you, but may (or may not) work allrite with the grip wrap.

Shoulda let you handle it this morning, but being sleep deprived & all keeps me from thinking outside the box a bit.

I'll probably be picking up a Ruger compact full size, an SR9C, within the next few weeks. Your welcome to try that out as well, if you haven't decided on something by then.

Edit, adding in: picked up that Ruger SR9C.

Last Edited:
Hmmm. I followed your advice and found threads of Glock folks who had tried XDm's and it wasn't their cuppa. I also Googled "Glock problems" and got just as many hits.

I handled as many guns as they'd let me at the gun counter at NW Armory. That narrowed it down to XD and Glock. Then I went to range that rents and fired both. For me, it was the feel of the grip and the angle. XDm won and I haven't been happier. It hasn't given me any issues that haven't been properly diagnosed as user error.

I am envious of Glock's user support and a bit envious they have their own matches where a tech is available to go over your gun.
Every production handgun will have problems from time to time..that's why there are Warranties. I own a Glock 17 and an XDM 4.5...never had an issue with either. It's like buying a car.find one that suits you..drive it if it breaks send it to get fixed
Getting a flawless gun is luck just like getting a clunker is bad luck
I have always had good luck :rolleyes: knock on wood.

I have a XDM9 5.25 and like it. XDM's were developed so they could be disassembled without pulling the trigger as you do on XDs and Glocks as a result they have more parts, but more capacity too.

There is no shortage of striker fired pistols to choose from these days. There's also Glock, M&P and Sig P320. Most of these guns are pretty decent quality. So it's hard to give a nod towards one being more reliable than the others. Accordingly, I would look at price and which one felt better in my hand. And to that end, you can probably sort things out pretty quickly in an hour or two at a range that has a good rental counter. And it will be fun.

There is no shortage of striker fired pistols to choose from these days. There's also Glock, M&P and Sig P320. Most of these guns are pretty decent quality. So it's hard to give a nod towards one being more reliable than the others. Accordingly, I would look at price and which one felt better in my hand. And to that end, you can probably sort things out pretty quickly in an hour or two at a range that has a good rental counter. And it will be fun.

Agree, however in this case the OP has offered to host folks at the range he is a member of. A great way to try out different ones, to meet fellow members, and check out that range!

@flashpan took me out shooting so he could try my Glocks. He is the real deal! The wonderful thing about guns today is there is a HUGE variety of shapes and sizes available...and so many high-quality, super-reliable options out there. I am a Glock guy through and through. But the Glock isn't for everybody and trying these guns out for oneself is the best way to find out!

Great meeting you today, buddy!

It was my pleasure hosting CHL yesterday at the club. A very safe and experienced shooter, he knows his stuff about running glocks. Tomorrow I will host another NW member and try more pistols. No question this is the way to select a new firearm. The club also has rifle and shotgun ranges. Maybe we should start a new forum...call it "Try Mine" or "Looking to Try" More on this project later.

Glad to see you're getting to put hands on to a number of guns, that's really the best way.

I'm an M&P guy for carry, I just love the feel in my hand. But I love Glocks too, I just don't carry one. I've owned XD/XDM's and didn't care for them. Same for Sigs. When it comes to my carry gun, I want it to feel as natural in my hand as possible. Fact is any major name manufacturer will put out a reliable and accurate gun, so it really comes down to ergonomics for me. As for reliability, I'm over 1,500 rounds into this gun so far without a single failure.

One thing about the Glocks though is the huge amount of aftermarket everything. If you want to change sights, or anything else, there is a ton of stuff out there. The other guns have a decent market for parts too, but I don't think any come close to the Glocks.

@Joe Link, maybe @flashpan 's idea is a good one for a new sub-forum. Kind of like a WTB section, but in the Discussions section, a Want to Try place for people to post threads. This model has worked out well for him.

And I don't think that trying out other people's guns, while they are there and maintaining proximal possession, would run afoul of 941.

@Joe Link, maybe @flashpan 's idea is a good one for a new sub-forum. Kind of like a WTB section, but in the Discussions section, a Want to Try place for people to post threads. This model has worked out well for him.

And I don't think that trying out other people's guns, while they are there and maintaining proximal possession, would run afoul of 941.

A Want To Try section, I like it! I'll see if I can get this setup today :)

Another great experiance at the club with NW member NWGlockGal today . Thanks for letting me try the Glock, the M&P, the Walther, and the HK... a rare opportunity to try them and the XPM side by side. Now I just want one pistol with the features of all five. Thanks Again NWGlockGal...good luck in competitiion.

Trying to decide on which full sized, striker 9mm to buy. I've done some on-line home work but there's nothing like getting help from those folks that own and shoot these pistols. In the running are XDM 4.5", Walther PPQ, HK V9 etc. I've been shooting a friends XDM so I know that feel but no idea about the others. I like good triggers and I hear the Walther is one of the best. An option?...If anyone has one of these or similar they would be willing to shoot together, I am action range certified at TCGC and would happy to host a guest and supply the ammo. I also have some steel we could shoot.
Thank for the help and advice.
Just picked up the XD Mod 2 Tactical in 9mm, it is a lot more comfortable in the hand than my Xdm. Love it

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top