JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Trying to decide on which full sized, striker 9mm to buy. I've done some on-line home work but there's nothing like getting help from those folks that own and shoot these pistols. In the running are XDM 4.5", Walther PPQ, HK V9 etc. I've been shooting a friends XDM so I know that feel but no idea about the others. I like good triggers and I hear the Walther is one of the best. An option?...If anyone has one of these or similar they would be willing to shoot together, I am action range certified at TCGC and would happy to host a guest and supply the ammo. I also have some steel we could shoot.
Thank for the help and advice.

I just sold my VP9, but I have a PPQ. It does have a fabulous trigger.
I actually sold my HK to a friend, so maybe sometime we can meet you at TCGC and you can try them out.

If you like the Walter go handle a Canik TP9SA. Nice trigger and very similar to the listed choices at a much lower cost.

Out of your list my favorite would be the XDM but with the larger 5.25" barrel.

I really like my Fns 9 which ticks almost all boxes for me. Bought new at $450 out the door, cheaper than others. Hammer forged barrel with nitride slide/barrel like others. Ambi on all controls unlike others. Trigger similar to Glock, better than M and P, not quite as nice as Walther ppq. 3 17 round mags. Different back straps. Etc, but mostly fits my medium had small fingers very well and has very fast combat steel sights. Only downside is there aren't many aftermarket parts. Have just over 3000 rounds through mine now

What in the world does "etc." mean? We are in the golden age of guns right now and almost every single niche of handgun, especially full-size duty 9mm handgun, is filled quite well. You can be well-served by 40 or more handgun in the category you described. Why would you think you get much helpful advice asking it this way? HK guys say HK. XD guys say XD/XDm. Then the Sig guy speaks up. Pretty soon someone will say the Canik is awesome. The next person exclaims Walther. And then every other post will agree with me that "All guns should be Glocks!"

EDIT: I just read your post again, @flashpan, and realized you were asking people if they might meet up at your club so you can actually try them out. Now THAT is the way to go. I've got a Glock 17 and 19, both with milled red dots, if that little twist interests you at all.

Last Edited:
What in the world does "etc." mean? We are in the golden age of guns right now and almost every single niche of handgun, especially full-size duty 9mm handgun, is filled quite well. You can be well-served by 40 or more handgun in the category you described. Why would you think you get much helpful advice asking it this way? HK guys say HK. XD guys say XD/XDm. Then the Sig guy speaks up. Pretty soon someone will say the Canik is awesome. The next person exclaims Walther. And then every other post will agree with me that "All guns should be Glocks!"

I like my Sig p320! :D It is the compact version, but is still 15 +1. I would go with the Sig every time.

Etc. means etcetera which is used at the end of a list to indicate further or similar items can also be listed. I have shot Glock, XD, M&P, etc ;). They are all great guns, and would serve anyone well. You really can't go wrong OP

Of course I know what et cetera means. All I meant is that since so many dozens of duty-size pistols are awesome these days, to ask opinions of the folks here as to basically every available pistol, he's going to get every pistol represented in some post by every fanboy. Will that be helpful info? I'm a Glock fanboy, I admit. By adding etc. to his question, he is no longer just asking for opinions on the XDm9 4.5, PPQ M2, and VP9, but all types of pistols available.

It's awesome that he is requesting people to come out to shoot with these different options. That is the real way to find out what might work. In the old days, it was so much easier to do what I did, and that is to buy and sell every type of pistol to eventually come to my own conclusions. Oh well, not really possible right now.

Not a big fan of the Walthers, newer HK, etc. Nothing about the guns besides Im not crazy about how they feel.

Imo, ^^ biggest issue.

I always recommend going to a gun show and handling each gun you may be interested in.

I'm a diehard Ruger fan but when I went to get a .22 plinker I ended up with a Walther p22 because the Ruger just felt 'odd' in my hand.

When you fine the gun that fits your hand there is a lightbulb moment.

You can practice to shoot any gun well. You can't change a guns grip so much that it al of a sudden feels perfect (backstraps being a possible option but really the only one you have on a polymer lower.

A couple questions, I didn't see was what will this be used for?

And why only striker fired guns?

Unless it's a carry gun, a heavier steel pistol will have you shooting stunning groups compared to the lighter polymer guns.

I have the PPQ M2 5" and it does have a nice trigger on it. Have you looked at a Ruger SR9? They have nice triggers and are cheap as well. In my CC rotation is a Ruger sr9c, shield 9, and a p226 legion sa/da. I know you are looking at a striker fire but the sa/da of the sigs are so nice though. I also had a xd mod 2 and that was an ok trigger.

Everyone! My thanks to all of you for your advice and experience with pistols. I'll be sending PM's to those of you who mentioned you'd like to join me for some fun and trials at the range.
I'll bring some of my toys like a suppressed 22/45, WWll vintage 1911 and a 454 Casull in case someone wants to pull those triggers. I'll focus on this list now...Clock 17, XDM, VP9, M&P, PPQ M2 and Maybe the 320. I've handled most of these but like Joe 13 said...I think the lighbulb will come on at the range. Regards

I always recommend going to a gun show and handling each gun you may be interested in.

Yes. Not only that, but you want your defensive gun to point naturally - that is, to not have to make a lot of adjustment when you bring it up to your line of sight. This is why I gave up on Glocks and ended up with a Walther PPQ (maybe the later gen Glocks are better, I don't know).

I like the GunShow or GunShop pick-up and see how they feel route. Next find someone or a local range that has what you think you want and barrow/rent it. Time and money well invested. I thought I wanted a .380 Glock or M&P's Bodyguard as a Pocket or BUG, but I soon found I didn't like shooting more than a few rounds before my hand started to hurt. In MY hand those things bite! My carry is a M&P9c and have shot 350 rds over the course of a 1 day training course and while my hand was tired, it didn't hurt,

The OP does not state what the purpose of this gun is going to be so I'll concentrate on the basics. Maintenance, deployment, controlability, durability and reliable operation.

I am not a 9mm guy, but there just isn't a striker-fired gun that is easier to maintain and more reliable, which balances size with controlability and works right out-of-the-box like a Glock G-19.

If those qualities are the most important to someone, then the G19 should be in serious running. No offense to the XDM folks but their problems are persistent and legendary; Google "XDM problems" and the results will tell the story there.

Here's my criteria: Unless a gun can be fielded, deployed quickly, maintained easily, controlled during operation and will shoot a minimum of 1,000 rounds without any failure, then it's not gonna be suitable as a SD weapon and the search should move on.

If the purchase is for fun 'n games, if the occasional failure is OK, or there is time and budget to tune it up to make it run right, then select any one you like and it won't matter. :)

No offense to the XDM folks but their problems are persistent and legendary; Google "XDM problems" and the results will tell the story there.

Hmmm. I followed your advice and found threads of Glock folks who had tried XDm's and it wasn't their cuppa. I also Googled "Glock problems" and got just as many hits.

I handled as many guns as they'd let me at the gun counter at NW Armory. That narrowed it down to XD and Glock. Then I went to range that rents and fired both. For me, it was the feel of the grip and the angle. XDm won and I haven't been happier. It hasn't given me any issues that haven't been properly diagnosed as user error.

I am envious of Glock's user support and a bit envious they have their own matches where a tech is available to go over your gun.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top