Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Need Optics help for my AR15!

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by glockguy, Oct 24, 2009.

1. glockguy

glockguy Albany Oregon Well-Known Member

Soo I am Buying my AR This Monday and Id like To Put a scope on it... Now I know there are TONS out there that are 30 to up in the 3k and up range. now All id like is something that allows me to magnify up to maybe 100 yards. Iv got no clue what 9x42mm means lol ( I just took that spec off a scope i saw in a magazine i have) soo PLEASE help me lol... ohh and i wanna keep it fairly cheap.. as in like around 100?

2. finch6013

finch6013 Oregon City Active Member

check out the vortex strikefire. I think it can be had for around $125. A little more than you want to spend but a good red or green dot that has an optional 2x magnifier.

3. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

Try CDNN or Center Fire Systems.3x9 is good enough for 100yrds

4. GUNNY

GUNNY DAMASCUS OREGON Member

don't know if your still looking, i got a NC STAR 8-24 by 50 does great for 100 yards and capable of 300. mill dot with illuminated rect. for $100

5. glockguy

Yea but How can I tell how far i can see? like what does 9x42mm or 9x28mm mean? i dont get what those specs mean:(

6. Unka-Boo

Unka-Boo Milwaukie Active Member

First number is magnification. ( 9 power ) Second is size of objective lens ( 42mm, and 28mm lenses )

For a cheap scope that works, look at a Simmons shotgun scope:

http://swfa.com/Simmons-15-5x32-ProDiamond-Master-Shotgun-Scope-P3414.aspx

I've been running an older version for years. I was wanting to try a variable low-power scope for competition, it was recommended I try this for concept before dropping a small fortune on one of the bigger name scopes....it has worked so well for me, I haven't upgraded it....

243187626-XL.jpg

7. finch6013

what comp were you shooting when this pic was taken

8. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

I like it. :thumbup:

9. onearmedswordsman

onearmedswordsman Hillsboro, OR Member

Before you buy a cheap scope for your new AR, check this mid-range combo: Millett 1-4x24 DMS. I swear by it. All the good things they say about it are true.

I plant to spend this Saturday morning at Beaver Dam rock quarry at Browns Camp; you can check it out if you care.

10. finch6013

I have been looking at this scope. I currently have a 4moa dot and cant decide between the 2moa aimpoint with magnifier or something like this. I shoot competition stuff sometimes and like the speed and unlimited eye relief of the red dot. But want the offerings of a scope like the one you posted.

11. wakejoe

wakejoe Beaverton, OR Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem shooting out to 300+ yards with a 1x red dot.

500 with Irons is standard Marine Corps qualification with M16's.

12. finch6013

I have problems cuz the dot is twice the size of my target with a 4moa dot. thats why I am thinking of going to a 2moa. I can see that far just fine I just can see my target

13. wakejoe

Eotech's have an even smaller, 1 moa dot. But having the large, 65 moa dot around it makes it still effective for up close work.

1 moa is only three inches at 300 yards. Could hit an orange clay no problem.

14. glockguy

Hey Guys.. I got my AR today and a scope. I was in the Gun shop i bought my gun from and there as an AR in there Same as mine Brand and everything but it was only $30 more with a scope on it.. Soo I asked if I could just have the scope and add $30 to my price.. Well they ended up Giving me a Brand new scope and didnt make me pay any extra. So the scope i got was a FM Optics 3-9x26 it may not be the BEST scope but it will work and for free its even better. Its around a $70 scope.

15. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

I run an Eotech for 0-100 yds. And a Leupold 2-7 with Warne ultra high rings for 100-300 yds. Works great for me.

16. wakejoe

On the same rifle, or across different platforms?

17. finch6013

eotech is not bad. I just cant bet past the look of a huge shoe sitting ontop of my gun. those things are huge in my opinion. I like the dot they display.

18. DALE

DALE Boring, Oregon Member

Welcome to the BR Club, hope the scope works out for you. I'm using an "El Cheapo" holographic sight, which has been fine at about 50 yds. Have not tried it at 100 or beyond yet, I don't expect much, but we'll shall see.

19. huntpotter

huntpotter SW WA Negotiator Bronze Supporter

Same rifle, I just change it out for what I'm doing.

20. SheepDog223

SheepDog223 Salem Well-Known Member

I use a fako aimpoint. http://www.centerfiresystems.com/SCORIFRD.aspx I wouldn't put it on an ak (Every cheap E-sight fails on my ak's) but I've had it on my AR for a year or more now (2-3k rounds) and it's still brand new. Same batt too. For only $150 with this you can't go wrong.