JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've been shooting this lot of Speer 180gr .40S&W that we picked up a few years ago. So far my S&W 4013 has broken two extractors on those things and I'm balking at reloading using those cases if they are the source of the problem. Has anyone used speer factory range brass and what has your experience been?

I've shot a lot of reloaded Speer brass (40 S&W) and never broken an extractor on it. But then, I shoot Glocks. I do not pick up "range brass" in 40 S&W because I don't know what it was loaded to, or how often it was fired before it was left on the range.

Are you saying the extractor in your pistol is not strong enough to hold up to shooting a Brass cartridge? Because the brass is what to hard? I think I would be looking at the heat treatment on the extractor before the brass.

The Speer loads were 100% factory and opened by me prior to shooting. The first broken extractor was the original, the second was a direct factory replacement. Can't say for certain it's a pistol problem because my wife's 4013 - which is one serial number higher than mine - has run 3x as many through it of this ammo lot and has had no issues.

Currently the weapon is taken down completely and I'm replacing every spring and wearing part that I can to see if just plain old worn out parts are the culprit.

Speer is an ATK owned company (at least last I checked), so all the brass is made at the same factory as all the CCI ammunition. (ever notice how CCI seems to load a lot of speer bullets? Same with federal, also owned by ATK).

I've shot a lot of reloaded Speer brass (40 S&W) and never broken an extractor on it. But then, I shoot Glocks. I do not pick up "range brass" in 40 S&W because I don't know what it was loaded to, or how often it was fired before it was left on the range.

I pick up all the brass you leave behind. Inspection will tell you what goes into the salvage bucket and what can be reloaded. As for the "40 S&W Bulge" Lee makes a nice die that takes this out real simply. It's also inexpensive.

I pick up all the brass you leave behind. Inspection will tell you what goes into the salvage bucket and what can be reloaded. As for the "40 S&W Bulge" Lee makes a nice die that takes this out real simply. It's also inexpensive.

I reload LOTS of Speer brass and it's never given me any problems...I would suspect an issue with the extractors. I've had extractors tear the rim off a few cases before, but can't imagine an extractor failing because the the brass???

BTW-I use the Redding Carbide GR-X die to "de-Glock" my .40 brass...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top