JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Saw the truck today. Needs tires and has windshield that is cracked bad enough to need replaced. There were a ton of people around today so never really got to talk about price.

She is a little rough but if the price is right it will be worth it.

I did really like the Dodge I had other then the problems and the company.

I've got a 12 valve Cummins in a dodge dually with beefed up auto. I get 16mpg just driving it empty. Hauling camper and 20' boat it goes down to 13+.

So the BIL sold the Dodge he had. I am not upset he sold it for book but IMHO in the shape it was in I would not/did not pay it.

Local dealer still has the 2004, 3500 Crew Cab 6 speed manual dually. I have been looking around and cant seem to find much out there right now.

I know I am not buying this truck for milage but anyone have any real life ideas about the difference between auto/manual and single vs dually? How about durability? From what I have been reading it should not be unlikely for this truck to see 18 on the HWY and 14-15 pulling my trailer.

All reports I have heard from "realistic" owners is the 18-20,but closer to 10-12 with a trailer
My Dodge duelly got 18 empty,so you may lose 2-3 with the duels.
The duels are only important with a heavy camper(slides or 11'+) or really heavy trailers.My neighbor hauls a 5th wheel,24k he claims (illegal for a pick up) just fine with a SRW Dodge.

The auto is geared a little higher because you have the torque converter to get the truck moving.
The stick will then be geared a little lower.But the 6 speed will take care of that

If I was to buy another 3/4-1 ton hauler,I would go with 4X4 instead of duels.The rear end in the diesels are pretty huge anyway
If i was to get a massive camper with slides,I would fore go the 4X4 for duels,or both.Duels are for more stability,can't legally haul much more weight.
Probably a 1 ton SRW 4X4

This is a 4x4, would not own a truck without it living where I do.

Again I have been looking at comparable trucks for a while now. I am not picking this over a SRW because I want a DRW. I am looking at it hard because of the price vs what I get vs availability.

I guess a better question then "should I get it" would be "is there a reason I should not get it"?

The last question on duels is how wide are the roads you'll be on? Will the duels hinder that?
Plus it's just another $400 when it comes to new shoes.
If you don't mind those 2 things then the duels ain't real bad

Well the roads need to be able to fit my 8' wide trailer down them so the truck has to fit too ;)

Not excited about having to buy an extra set of tires each time but it wont be a daily driver. I am keeping an eye out for a 3/4 ton SRW in the same price range but have not seen one.

I am headed down in the next day or two (as time allows) to go see what kinda deal I might be able to make on the 3500.

Get a 1990 GMC Syclone. There were only like 1000 made, and they aren't really any good for towing much, but they came from the factory with a turbocharged 4.3 liter chevy v6, and with some modifications are good for blowing the doors off brand new Ferrari's off the show room floor.

So buy a 22 year old truck that goes slower then my bike with worse fuel mileage and wont pull my trailer which is why I am buying a truck................??????? :s0092:

Do you own the '92? What I'm reading is that you didn't like the mileage so you want to buy a diesel? A paid for rig that will tow what you want and then some beats a car payment any day. $3000 460 Ford vs $12000 Cummins Dodge....$9000 to break even? Do you tow often enough to warrant that?

Do you own the '92? What I'm reading is that you didn't like the mileage so you want to buy a diesel? A paid for rig that will tow what you want and then some beats a car payment any day. $3000 460 Ford vs $12000 Cummins Dodge....$9000 to break even? Do you tow often enough to warrant that?

I do understand that. Part of the reason is I dont like the 6.5mpg I got pulling.

'92 is actually dads now and has become one of our farm trucks. Grandpa bought it for pulling his 5th wheel many years ago. It is developing many problems with fluid leaks and suspension. My brother (car guy) says it will cost about $4k for us to fix up right and the problem is that is all that truck is worth and it still is pushing that truck. I know my grandpa had replaced the tranny at least once if not twice.

This truck will be mostly for pulling and I do need my own rig. Right now I am not expecting to put more then 10K/year on it. I know that sounds like a lot to some but I average 500 miles/week regular driving.

I didn't read the OP, but you can definitely bring that 4.6l turbo v6 up to speed to make it faster than your bike if u got some spare cash.

At what price? A $6,000 GSXR1000 will do 180 + and a 3 second 0-60, pull 9.5 in a 1/4 mile. Plus, hot chicks will like the bike more.

Any modern diesel will do what you want.

Sent from my iPhone, haters to the left.

I ended up with the 2004 Chevy 3500 dually. Will pick it up in 2 days.
Very nice. I love those new Chevys. The only vehicle I have driven over LONG drives and had no issues with stiffness in my joints. Super good rides and very nice seats. Puts the smackdown on my 02 ram for comfort, the Fords are in between and the Tundra cannot match.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top