JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Here's the story:

Have worn carheart jeans for going on 17 years now.

I switched because I was wearing out Levi's and wranglers every year.

I have carhearts that have held up too heavy use for 3+ years and am happy with sticking with them.

However, I'm curious if there are better pants (cargo cut is preferred) like the 5.11 or another brand.

I can get carhearts for under $35-40 and don't want to spend a ton more but would like something that won't fall apart while wearing a 1911 and 2 mags on my belt.

ALSO, most of the nice gun belts won't fit in the loops on my jeans so I'm stuck wearing sub par belts.

I wouldn't mind some suggestions on belts either;).

Thanks, Y'all :cool:.

5.11 TacLite Pro pants are decent, but there is a similar pant that is almost 1/2 the price from LA Police Gear. My only complaint is that once either of these pants get wet, they stay wet.

I wear 5.11 Stryke Pants, which are similar but are stretchy through the knees and butt. Keeps me from busting the azz out. They are also teflon coated and seem to keep stains away. They also dry fast. They are expensive though.

5.11 is making jean cut versions of their pants that look less "tactical".

For belts, I have gone completely to BDU belts and riggers belts. You are never caught between holes. Just get the kind that is reinforced for gun wear. The Original Instructor Belt from TheWilderness.com is a good product.

Here's the story:

I have carhearts that have held up too heavy use for 3+ years and am happy with sticking with them.

However, I'm curious if there are better pants (cargo cut is preferred) like the 5.11 or another brand.

I can get carhearts for under $35-40 and don't want to spend a ton more but would like something that won't fall apart while wearing a 1911 and 2 mags on my belt.

ALSO, most of the nice gun belts won't fit in the loops on my jeans so I'm stuck wearing sub par belts.

Check these out Joe, Ol' Wranglerstar Cody uses these a lot, especially if he's logging or doing tough stuff around his homestead. They start to look like an old saddle after a while. :cool:o_O:p:D:eek:
Google
Gabby

Thanks for the suggestions y'all.

I hate trying on new clothes:D.

Going to need some new pants soon so I figured y'all might have some good suggestions.

Got some wranglers on sale and paid the seamstress about what I paid for the pants to sew the belt loops the weight of my gun broke back on and reinforce them.

5.11 Tac Lite Pro is my daily wear pant - I have them in a few colors - black or gray for work, tan or gray (gotta get khaki too) for off days. Sooooo comfy, and they take a good beating. I'm hell on pants, and you know what I did for a living. It'd take the better part of a year to wear holes in them - usually I wore holes in the arse, or knees.

Since switching to battery service, I've not had any issues with acid eating them yet - unlike my coworkers who wear Carharts. I have not yet found a pant that is as comfortable all day, standing, seated, or in general. Not to mention the pockets - ooooh yeah - magazine pocket on the left thigh means I don't need a belt carrier for a spare. Cargo pockets keep the wallet from causing nerve pain in my back. Big back pockets for stuffing gloves/tools in while working. I can stuff my ticket book or 8 inch tablet in my back pocket and still have lots of room. Belt loops fit my 1.5" wide belt, and I think will take a 1.75" wide belt. You'd have no problems toting a full size gun if you get the right belt.

The only downside is that they do look "tactical" so you have to grow an operator beard, if you don't already have one. :D

I own other pants - I just can't remember the last time I wore any...

5.11 Stryke pants are fairly new compared to their other existing models and they fit much better...for me at least. They're made from a 4 way stretch fabric which is nice and they have an expanding waistband that will expand two inches on each side...which is really nice for carrying. No more having to buy two different sizes for when you carry and when you don't. The downside is they're in the $70 range but maybe you can find them on sale for a bit less. Anyway, they've held up well for me but they're obviously not a cotton duck type work pant if that's what you're looking for. The other downside is that they lean more toward the "tacticool" side of things which not everybody likes.

As for belts, the Ares Aegis Enhanced belt is simply fantastic. Not cheap...at all. But should easily last you 5 years, is infinitely adjustable, will handle any load you throw at it from EDC to a full range loadout, is easy to thread, will fit most belt loops since its a 1.5" belt, and doesn't scream "shoot me first" like some belts with cobra buckles can. I can at least vouch that they will fit in the Stryke pants.

Some other ideas:

Deluth Trading makes good stuff but their pants just don't fit me. Might be worth looking at though.

Wrangler makes cargo pants...usually available at Walmart for like $20. They're more of a basic cotton cargo pant but they hold up pretty well...especially for $20.

I wear those 5.11 cargos with the expandable waiste & Teflon coating.

I really like them. The Teflon does wear off, but I suppose you could silicone spray them if you wanted continued water resistance.

The pluses are the waist, can do IWB/OWB without changing, and I do carry both ways daily.

The pockets are super handy for me. 2 mag pockets in the front, one side gets a flashlight & the other side gets 1 or 2 magazines (depends how I'm carrying, as 2 mags "show" in one pocket).

The cargo pockets have 4 sleeves in them sized for AR mags. Perfect for my other daily regular "stuff", & the other mag if not in the mag pocket.

The other plus with the waist is losing a bit of wait, or the holiday gain.

I've been liking Carhartt's Rugged Cargo Pants for some time. Deep pockets, sturdy, wide, and well placed belt loops, and just baggie enough to be comfortable. Rugged too. A little on the expensive side but well worth it in my opinion.

Funny, I just noticed olive drab is no longer offered, and I just bought some in December. o_O

My street/office jeans were too light for wearing in the brush; they would wear out fast and any thorns/briars would go right through them. I didn't want to wear my Carhartt bibs because they are insulated and too hot in the summer.

So I tried these:

Wrangler® RIGGS Workwear® Ripstop Ranger Pant | Wrangler

They have reinforced (extra layer) knees and other reinforcements and they deflect thorns/briars (so far). The loops are much larger than my jeans. They seem pretty tough and heavy duty to me.

I found them in Bimart who has a sale on them from time to time, but I got more pairs from Working Person's (online) because Bimart only carried a 30" inseam for my waist size and I need a 32" inseam.

I intend to apply a "tin cloth" (oilskin) to the pants to make them water resistant and even tougher.

YMMV

I hate clothing companies. Big and tall my azz!! It should be big or tall. I can't find a decent jean in my size and if I need a larger size to IWB carry it sucks even worse. :mad:

Here's the story:

I wear a pair of work jeans with a solid leather 38" Dickies belt.

Leather Reversible Belt | Accessories Belts | Dickies

5.11 Tac Lite Pro is my daily wear pant - I have them in a few colors - black or gray for work, tan or gray (gotta get khaki too) for off days. Sooooo comfy, and they take a good beating. I'm hell on pants, and you know what I did for a living. It'd take the better part of a year to wear holes in them - usually I wore holes in the arse, or knees.

Since switching to battery service, I've not had any issues with acid eating them yet - unlike my coworkers who wear Carharts. I have not yet found a pant that is as comfortable all day, standing, seated, or in general. Not to mention the pockets - ooooh yeah - magazine pocket on the left thigh means I don't need a belt carrier for a spare. Cargo pockets keep the wallet from causing nerve pain in my back. Big back pockets for stuffing gloves/tools in while working. I can stuff my ticket book or 8 inch tablet in my back pocket and still have lots of room. Belt loops fit my 1.5" wide belt, and I think will take a 1.75" wide belt. You'd have no problems toting a full size gun if you get the right belt.

The only downside is that they do look "tactical" so you have to grow an operator beard, if you don't already have one. :D

I own other pants - I just can't remember the last time I wore any...

5.11 Stryke pants are fairly new compared to their other existing models and they fit much better...for me at least. They're made from a 4 way stretch fabric which is nice and they have an expanding waistband that will expand two inches on each side...which is really nice for carrying. No more having to buy two different sizes for when you carry and when you don't. The downside is they're in the $70 range but maybe you can find them on sale for a bit less. Anyway, they've held up well for me but they're obviously not a cotton duck type work pant if that's what you're looking for. The other downside is that they lean more toward the "tacticool" side of things which not everybody likes.

As for belts, the Ares Aegis Enhanced belt is simply fantastic. Not cheap...at all. But should easily last you 5 years, is infinitely adjustable, will handle any load you throw at it from EDC to a full range loadout, is easy to thread, will fit most belt loops since its a 1.5" belt, and doesn't scream "shoot me first" like some belts with cobra buckles can. I can at least vouch that they will fit in the Stryke pants.

Some other ideas:

Deluth Trading makes good stuff but their pants just don't fit me. Might be worth looking at though.

Wrangler makes cargo pants...usually available at Walmart for like $20. They're more of a basic cotton cargo pant but they hold up pretty well...especially for $20.

Tactical look doesn't bother me - I've got a beard and attitude to go with it lol, as long as they aren't in hunting camo colors, but seriously I'm not worried about it.

Wranglers are the ones that I bought and had the belt loop break as soon as I strapped a gun on it.

Those are a good looking pant, Thanks for the link

Welcome. LAPG carries a ton of pants so you should be able to find something that you like. Note I was reading up on these pants last night and apparently LAPG will pay for return shipping if you don't like them. You just have to contact them for a return shipping label. :)

I hate clothing companies. Big and tall my azz!! It should be big or tall. I can't find a decent jean in my size and if I need a larger size to IWB carry it sucks even worse. :mad:

Agreed, I have broad shoulders and now recently a bigger belly then normal but when I'm in better shape, I still have to get a 2X-3X to fit my shoulders and in the belly it makes me look like I'm a 400lb linebacker. Easy to hide a gun OWB though lol.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top