JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My neighbor inherited his Dad's Baikal Makarov and apparently if fired fine for a mag or two and then jammed. I offered to look at it and this is what I found. The slide is jammed and the safety is locked in a backwards position. There's a live round rattling around in there, but that doesn't matter too much because the firing pin has fallen out.

From what I can see, it would seem that the safety needs to be manipulated into the correct position in order to free the slide.
I taped the safety to keep from scratching it and tried to rotate it forward with a pliers. That didn't work as it's locked up solid.

The slide either isn't back far enough to lift the rear up, forward and off or it's just jammed. Either way, it's not going anywhere.

That's as far as I can get. So I'm asking you experts here for help.

I've got a few pics here to help illustrate the problem.

Thanks in advance.

Thank you. I'll see if I can get the sear spring out. Unfortunately it also seems locked up tight, but I'll give it a try.

I'm just tagging this post, just to see how this all plays out.
Numrich Gun Parts has a Makarov schematic that might give a clearer image.
Good Luck.

Thanks.

I removed the sear spring and that freed the slide up just a tiniest bit. That loosened the hammer somewhat. The decocker is still pretty much jammed. It's partly out of the slide, but stuck so tight that I can't remove it. I tapped it and can get it to move upright to about a 60 degree angle or I can tap it down to an almost horizontal position. However I can't lever it out or push it in in either position. I think that if I could get it to seat properly I'd be home free.

I'm walking away from it for tonight for my peace of mind.

I think that the only option left is to grab a hard rubber mallet, and give the back of the slide a really good whack, and try to force it back to battery.
Whatever failed internally will more then likely need to be replaced, but there is also that live loose round in there too consider.
Perhaps you could soak the slide in some penetrating oil to make the round inert before you choose to play whack-a-mole.

Is the live round still up in the chamber? The safety is just jammed, give it a good twist and it will come out. IVe seen the slides jam like this from wear... Tap it with a rubber mallet, you won't hurt it!

My neighbor came over and I gave him a report on my progress. My suggestion is to take it to a smith at this point. I'm afraid to keep wrenching and banging on the decocker. It was his father's gun and he just passed a few months ago. I just don't want to take a chance on messing up the inner part of the slide. If it was mine, I'd be using a single jack right about now. ;)

I'll take it to a smith sometime this week.

I'm in Stanwood WA or I would offer to do it for you.
You need to take as much tension off as you can. If you can release the hammer spring and gently disassemble it with out forcing anything, You should be OK. The hard part is re-assembling it. The CZ-82 is bad but I think the Makarov will be a little easier. Get some round tooth picks for slave pins.
If you can find a local smith that has experience in soviet block pistols, all the better. They can be very complicated.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top