JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would add value to the fact you can make ammo any way you like when reloading. On 9mm for instance I like shooting loads that will cycle reliably but are mild compared to any factory stuff I have used. This 9mm I load is about 6 bucks a box. Not a huge savings but still less expensive and worth my time at 3-4 boxes per hour.

On other guns I have accuracy is important so working up a load for MY particular gun is worth something to me. My handguns (except defense) have to shoot 1.5" at 25 yards or I'm not a happy camper. It could cost a lot of money to buy all the different brands of ammo in .357 which is my favorite round. .357 ammo is about 25 bucks a box last I looked.

Being able to load medium powered .357 loads is also of value to me. I find .38 loads too light and full house magnum loads a bit much as I usually fire about 150 rounds at a setting. My next favorite round is the .44 magnum and I use medium loads 98% here also. To me the lighter loads are just more fun to shoot. When I was young max loads in my .357 was what I liked to shoot. Looking back I see how silly my perspective was.

Someone can get into reloading for under 200 including press, scale, dial calipers, dies, powder, primers, bullets and I will assume you have saved some brass plus a reloading manual. Why people come up with these high numbers to get into reloading I'm not sure. Starting out most people, myself included, did it as a cost savings investment so asking someone to spend 5-600 is just too much imo. Everything you need is on Craig's list. It may take a couple of weeks but be patient and you can find good deals.

Why people come up with these high numbers to get into reloading I'm not sure.

What you say makes sense for most who are satisfied with a "box or two" of pistol ammo.

When you start shooting a box or two per hour when at the range training, or in competition, that little single stage just doesn't quite cut it. Ditto for those that only have a short amount of time to load and want something that's a little faster.

To get started in reloading, one can do so for $300 or less, depending on quality level they desire.

It's not necessary to invest that "grand or more" to get started----that is unless you fully expect to have that kind of need. My standard recommendation is to determine what your "need" will be down the road and invest accordingly. If you just have some spare time and want to load your own, either to save a little money or have exactly the type of ammo you want, then basic is fine.

If you're starting to compete, or just plain like to shoot a lot, that little $300 investment will grow in no time at all to whatever your checkbook will allow. There are two extremes and each can be justified, depending on your shooting levels.

As for used, some great deals are there. There's also some real junk. It's a matter of choice.

reloading is not cheap.. (equipment wise) but is cheaper than shooting factory ammo in 9mm...

get a hornady lock n load ap or dillon xl650.. if you know you will reload, just spend the money. a good setup will run you a grand eventually...

you either spend that in small increments as you realize what you are missing or spend it upfront...

nice thing about it, is you can get at least 80% of your money back if you decide to sell...

find it used, if you can... saves a little bit...

I would not bother loading 9mm on a single stage, takes forever.... progressive is the way to go...

and it's not complicated... only one stage is critical... powder drop (making sure there is powder in the case in the correct weight)

all others if you mess up, no big deal, just pull the bullet and reload...

you must absolutely make sure that each and every case has powder in it... I recommend RCBS powder cop/lock out die

This was a response I gave on a previous (but similar) thread and it applies here.

As said above, think about how much you will reload.

Good point. Also you might want to evaluate exactly why you are getting into reloading. I realize that may sound strange but think about it. If it is to save money forget it - you will justify your savings on more equipment and components which, in a way does result in some savings. Are you getting into it as an extension of your interest in guns, to experiment, try different loads for accuracy etc. basically as a hobby? If so then that is a good reason. I know a guy who tells me all the time about how he 'used' to reload, has a Dillon 650, cranked out X amount of rounds an hour - but has not 'spilled' a grain of powder in years. I finally realized he was only reloading because it seemed like the fashionable thing to do because he got into IPSC, owned a $2K plus race gun and really only ever reloaded .38 Super in mass quantities for competition. He really never did it as a hobby, for accuracy or any other reason. In summary his total knowledge of reloading is there are two types of powder - flake and ball.

I plan to reload because it will just save me $ each pull of the trigger. Yes the gear costs $, yes I know the tendency once you reload is to shoot more, but is that a bad thing? In actuality if you do shot more, you just pay off the reloading gear that much faster. For the same amount of $ you get to learn a second hobby and shoot more..
A big key is the 1st year you are going to go "negative" because you have to put up a significant investment in equipment to even get rolling. "You have to pay to play" as it were. That is going to offset any savings you may have expected and depending on how much you shoot the gear may not pay itself off the 1st year, but hopefully is paid off by the end of the second. If you start shooting more, then your cost for the year WILL be substantially higher in total dollars than previous years, but as you see below, it offsets quite and bit and long term pays off.

The best price on 9mm ammo anyplace is the Walmart special 19.97/100rnd boxes IF you can find them. Add tax and it basically comes out to $10.97/50rnds. Usually only the 11.99+tax boxes are available and even those get picked over. I scored my last bulk order from Palmetto, $10.99/box, free shipping.

Looking around and buying reloading comps locally I could produce 50rnds of 115FMJ for $6.97(after tax)/50. I have 500+brass on-hand and and an additional 350 when I finish shooting my factory ammo. That is $4.00 less per box compared to factory since I do not need to buy any brass. TIP: Buy only brass factory ammo and start collecting all your brass, by the time you decide and buy equipment to reload you will have lots of brass and not have to buy any. worst case you can sell it on the forums and make a few dollars back.

At this point I am avg 350 rounds of 9mm a month.
350*12=4200rounds a year
Factory: 10.99*4200= $923.16/yr
Reloading: 6.97*4200= $585.48/yr
That is a $337.68 savings in a year
That is a LONG way toward paying off that reloading gear, and if you shop used you could even have broken even in a single year. There is a single stage (yes not best for 9mm, but a start) complete package for $200 on craigslist as I type this, Add $30 dies and your started for $230! And everyone says start single stage anyways to learn. You saved $100 versus factory ammo, or better yet, now use that $100 for reloading supplies and you have an extra 14boxes of ammo to use for the year (That's why people say "you don't save $" they re-invest into more ammo). Not to mention, you are looking at an extra 48 boxes of reloaded ammo or 2400rnds/yr versus factory ammo spending the same amount of $, that's 6600rounds per year vs 4200.

Now as said, most people will shoot more, THAT'S GOOD, but lets be honest, we wanted to shoot this much anyways, the reloading gear did not peer pressure us into it. You are spending more $ by shooting more, but by reloading you save that much more that NOT reloading seems pointless. Plus after the reloading gear is paid off you are getting more ammo for the same price as factory!! Lets assume I jump up to 500rnds/month.
550*12=6600rounds a year
Factory: 10.99*6600= $1450.68/yr
Reloading: 6.97*6600= $920.04/yr
That is a $530.64 savings
That is into a used or even inexpensive new progressive reloading set-up and paid of hte 1st year if you're a thrifty shopper.
OR 76 boxes of ammo, notice for about what you would spend for 4200rounds of factory ammo above, you now have 6600 rounds for the same amount!

The point is if you reload you will likely not spend any less total dollars in a given year on shooting/ammo, you may spend MORE $ because you use more rounds, buy your equipment, etc, but you ARE SAVING $, you're getting quite a bit more for each dollar spent than if you use only factory ammo. You give yourself the ability to do more per dollar spent, that is real savings..

I plan to reload because it will just save me $ each pull of the trigger. Yes the gear costs $, yes I know the tendency once you reload is to shoot more, but is that a bad thing? In actuality if you do shot more, you just pay off the reloading gear that much faster. For the same amount of $ you get to learn a second hobby and shoot more..
A big key is the 1st year you are going to go "negative" because you have to put up a significant investment in equipment to even get rolling. "You have to pay to play" as it were. That is going to offset any savings you may have expected and depending on how much you shoot the gear may not pay itself off the 1st year, but hopefully is paid off by the end of the second. If you start shooting more, then your cost for the year WILL be substantially higher in total dollars than previous years, but as you see below, it offsets quite and bit and long term pays off.

The best price on 9mm ammo anyplace is the Walmart special 19.97/100rnd boxes IF you can find them. Add tax and it basically comes out to $10.97/50rnds. Usually only the 11.99+tax boxes are available and even those get picked over. I scored my last bulk order from Palmetto, $10.99/box, free shipping.

Looking around and buying reloading comps locally I could produce 50rnds of 115FMJ for $6.97(after tax)/50. I have 500+brass on-hand and and an additional 350 when I finish shooting my factory ammo. That is $4.00 less per box compared to factory since I do not need to buy any brass. TIP: Buy only brass factory ammo and start collecting all your brass, by the time you decide and buy equipment to reload you will have lots of brass and not have to buy any. worst case you can sell it on the forums and make a few dollars back.

At this point I am avg 350 rounds of 9mm a month.
350*12=4200rounds a year
Factory: 10.99*4200= $923.16/yr
Reloading: 6.97*4200= $585.48/yr
That is a $337.68 savings in a year
That is a LONG way toward paying off that reloading gear, and if you shop used you could even have broken even in a single year. There is a single stage (yes not best for 9mm, but a start) complete package for $200 on craigslist as I type this, Add $30 dies and your started for $230! And everyone says start single stage anyways to learn. You saved $100 versus factory ammo, or better yet, now use that $100 for reloading supplies and you have an extra 14boxes of ammo to use for the year (That's why people say "you don't save $" they re-invest into more ammo). Not to mention, you are looking at an extra 48 boxes of reloaded ammo or 2400rnds/yr versus factory ammo spending the same amount of $, that's 6600rounds per year vs 4200.

Now as said, most people will shoot more, THAT'S GOOD, but lets be honest, we wanted to shoot this much anyways, the reloading gear did not peer pressure us into it. You are spending more $ by shooting more, but by reloading you save that much more that NOT reloading seems pointless. Plus after the reloading gear is paid off you are getting more ammo for the same price as factory!! Lets assume I jump up to 500rnds/month.
550*12=6600rounds a year
Factory: 10.99*6600= $1450.68/yr
Reloading: 6.97*6600= $920.04/yr
That is a $530.64 savings
That is into a used or even inexpensive new progressive reloading set-up and paid of hte 1st year if you're a thrifty shopper.
OR 76 boxes of ammo, notice for about what you would spend for 4200rounds of factory ammo above, you now have 6600 rounds for the same amount!

The point is if you reload you will likely not spend any less total dollars in a given year on shooting/ammo, you may spend MORE $ because you use more rounds, buy your equipment, etc, but you ARE SAVING $, you're getting quite a bit more for each dollar spent than if you use only factory ammo. You give yourself the ability to do more per dollar spent, that is real savings..

Now project those numbers beyond one year. I don't know many people that just load for one year and call it quits. A good press will last a long darn time. The only expenses you will incur over the years for a press like the Dillon 650 will be a spring here or there and any lost locator pins if you're careless. You may only save $300 per year on the low end but multiply that by the number of years you do so.

Now project those numbers beyond one year. I don't know many people that just load for one year and call it quits. A good press will last a long darn time. The only expenses you will incur over the years for a press like the Dillon 650 will be a spring here or there and any lost locator pins if you're careless. You may only save $300 per year on the low end but multiply that by the number of years you do so.

That was my point, the savings only gets better and better as you go. And certain calibers you will make much more savings. I chose 9mm as a specific counter point to people saying it makes no sense to reload it as it is so cheap to begin with. Fact is you can save up to 40% even on 9mm, others only save you more $.

Once the gear "has paid for itself" you are basically getting 40$ more ammo for free by reloading. It makes dropping that $ upfrotn go down a bit easier when you look at it long term..

I shoot 150-200 rounds a week of 9mm and 45ACP. I have a relatively inexpensive Lee Classic Turret Press that works fantastic for that level of reloading while also allowing me to monitor every stage of each round as I complete it. Think of it as a single stage press that cycles through each operation on a single round. I've made who knows how many thousands of rounds on it without a single problem. Built like a tank. As to costs, the savings are considerable, at least $2.50 per 50 rounds of 9mm and way more on .45 ACP. If you want to see what you'll save, an easy way is to look at a reloading calculator like this one at http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp . Remember, buying in bulk when possible, especially bullets, is what saves you most.

I like the science that is involved in reloading. From long range ballistics tables, energy, trajectory.
A long wile back I shot competition pistol. Reloaded for that.
Then it was a few wild cat cartridges.
Then tuning up my hunting loads to shot in one hole at one hundred yards. That lead me to shooting at and beyond five hundred yards, [still reloading for accuracy and the ballistics I choose]
The thing is I continue to do all of this and from the beginning have been a lead boolit caster as well.
Recently I started loading lead boolits down in velocity so I could almost watch them go through the air, like a foot ball. Then hit the target.
I have loaded jacketed Pistol Bullets with [small amounts of powder] short charges and Kapoc to hold the powder against the primer and have shot them in my rifles. Then pushed them passed several thousand feet per second.
I can go on and on. The thing is it is a time consuming hobby.
I load for accuracy not quantity for most of what shoot.
Saving money, if you are into it for that - Find someone with a Dillon and spend some time with them.
If you want accuracy and time is not important to you go out and buy a RCBS rock chucker press or something else in a single stage press.
Once you start in you will find all kinds of things you knew nothing about.
After forty some years of reloading and casting, I am still learning something new almost every day.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top