JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Not sure if this is the most appropriate board in the forum for this post- I apologize if it's not. I am in need of some help. I need to replace the transfer case in my 98 grand Cherokee 5.9. I have the case but need someone to make the swap. Looking for someone I can trust or a shop that won't charge me a fortune for a few hours work. Thanks in advance if you can help.

The only place I would recommend is the Trans-Medic near SE 202nd and Burnside, The owner is the most honest and forthright mechanic I have ever met. I take all of my business to him.
My brother took his 2000 GMC 4 wheel pickup to him for the same job as your Jeep.
The replacement transfer case that was sold to my brother from a third party was the wrong one and didn't work right.
The Trans-Medic's owner "Korry' installed it, it didn't work any better than the original and removed it free of charge.
He then figured out what the problem was with the original transfer case and repaired it (bad wire harness connections).
You will not be disappointed.

Trans-Medic Transmission
2250 NW Birdsdale Ave.
Gresham, OR 97030

Holbrook Specialties in Gladstone does great work. I have and International Scout and have used them for a few small parts. My Dad has had a transmission rebuilt by them for my Mom's Scout and another club member has used them as well. Great service and knowledgeable people. Leonard's is a good option too but a bit or a drive.

Can the swap be done there or do you have to do the repair off site?
My Motor, labor time guide only goes to 1993, 2.9 hrs R&R for the t-case on a stock rig.
When I do side work that is what I use to base my time on.

I can 2nd the recommendations For Trans-Medic and Holbrooks. You will not find anyone more up front and honest than either of them.
What transfer case do you have. NP231, NP242, NP247 or NP249?
What are the symptoms that lead you to believe that you need to replace the transfer case?

I have the 249, and my VC ha gone bad, you can hear it. I need to do the switch for this reason. Putting in the 242 will give me an option for two wheel drive- amazing convienence and should help with mpg as my jeep has the 5.9 V8. Thank you all very much for the suggestions!

"The Good Guys Automotive" in Clackamas Or. They are past witchita pub in the Emmert Complex behind aamco. Pat is a Jeep guy and i thin he has a good 249 for a grand sitting there for spare. 503-788-6355

If the option of full time 4 wheel drive (all wheel drive) isn't important to you, consider putting an NP231 in it. Straight ol 2wheel, 4 wheel, 4 wheel low.

I already have the 242, in great condition and gives me all the options I'm looking for. I'm in Clackamas so I will reach out to "the good guys" and see what they would charge me for the swap, thank you guys very much.

Not sure if this is the most appropriate board in the forum for this post- I apologize if it's not. I am in need of some help. I need to replace the transfer case in my 98 grand Cherokee 5.9. I have the case but need someone to make the swap. Looking for someone I can trust or a shop that won't charge me a fortune for a few hours work. Thanks in advance if you can help.

Not to add anything but commiseration...
I did an oil change this weekend on my cherokee only to not pay attention and partially drain my ATF. (Nothing like waking up pissed off, and THEN doing that.)
It got better though, the guy who did my oil change with a tune up before I moved out here to WA torqued that filter on. I had to go at it with a screwdriver through it, then I had to walk to two different places to get a tool to take the thing off. Then, I find out that my oil filter adapter is bleeding like a stuck hog. Oh, and so is the brand new drain plug... I wonder why. I bet that clown over torqued the old drain plug and stripped out the threads....

I wanted to shoot my jeep. SO that 30 minute oil change in the garage took about 3 hours to get the jeep working again. (Rolling in the various attempts, walking to different stores, etc.) Best part, now I get to find a place that will be able to do the oil filter adapter fix for me.

Can the swap be done there or do you have to do the repair off site?
My Motor, labor time guide only goes to 1993, 2.9 hrs R&R for the t-case on a stock rig.
When I do side work that is what I use to base my time on.

Does your book have an entry for removal and replacement of the o-rings in the oil filter adapter on a 1992 jeep cherokee? 4.0l?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top