JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Howdy Folks, Ole Caveman is indoors trying to stay away from the burning ball in the sky.

I lubed up the old RS and deprimed about 500 5.56 cases when I felt the press sticking on the downstroke and the upstroke.
I decided to pull it apart and find the source of said stikage....

Well there is a clip at the top of the ram that did not seem to want to come out but I threatened it with a big freaking hammer and it came out willingly that time...

I can see just a little area on the front of the rim where they're below the groove that looks like it has been worn, but alas it's got to be a 40 year old machine and I do not know how long it's sat or how it was treated by the owners before I bought it 3 years ago.

Anyways I have a video I'm going to try and upload from my camera so to give you a little bit of an idea of where it's sticking.

Well no love uploading my video it says the file is too large, OMGOOOODDDD.:eek::eek::eek:

Any advice is greatly appreciated as always.

alot of times its a primer and or built up primer residue causing my press to stick. disassembly and a good cleaning usually takes care of it. im runnin an old single stage JR2 that i bought refurbished by Ole in salem. its been a great press though, when i use my buddy's rock chucker i can appreciate the extra mechanical leverage it offers vs mine.

i use a dry spray type lube on my press. that way it reduces build up compared to an oil or solvent in which grit will stick to.

alot of times its a primer and or built up primer residue causing my press to stick. disassembly and a good cleaning usually takes care of it. im runnin an old single stage JR2 that i bought refurbished by Ole in salem. its been a great press though, when i use my buddy's rock chucker i can appreciate the extra mechanical leverage it offers vs mine.

i use a dry spray type lube on my press. that way it reduces build up compared to an oil or solvent in which grit will stick to.

Thanks for the tip, I use 3in1 machine oil, what dry spray do you use?

Depriming on a press always results in the press getting a little gummed up, check to see how much clearance there is between the ram and the press, if there's a gap some dust may have gotten in there and you might need to take the ram out and give it a deep clean.

Anything below the shellplate I use oil, just 30 weight motor oil, shellplate and above or anything to do with powder or primers gets dry graphite lube.

As far as lube for the ram and pivot points...Why not just Hoppe's gun oil? That's what I've used on the RCBS.

This press is the one I use for depriming and resizing all rifle cases and it was my go-to for priming before I got a Lee hand prime.

I did take it all apart removed all the oil with brake cleaned the whole thing making sure all the pivot Points and ram got an ample oiling on reinstallation.

Last Edited:
Have a Rock Crusher. [edit] Chucker, not Crusher, since IIRC, that's Lyman's name..... [/edit]
I used to used 3-in-1 and found it gums up after a few weeks (or gunks up, the ram looks dirty as heck!).
Cleaned it out. Used MPro-7 for the pivot pins, and MG Chemical Penetrating Oil for the ram. It's seen a LOT of use and been absolutely stick free for >3 months.
Picked up the Penetrating Oil at Frys, on sale for $8.
upload_2018-7-14_19-6-35.png

I've been using a couple spritzes of the g96 gun cleaner/oil for the last couple years. It seems to not gum up and it smells nice. It's Mrs. Student approved for inside use. I made the mistake if cleaning a bore with shooter's choice copper solvent in the house once. Bet I won't do that again. All my cleaning and lubrication regimens are closely supervised now and require the proper form submissiono_O. It's embarrassing really:oops:.

For a cheat "cleaning" of my filthy old Rock Chucker I'd flush it with WD40 and wipe it down, then oil/grease er up good.
It has a pretty good solvent type action..

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top