JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My African trophies are ready to ship from Africa, and my freight forwarder needs the name of a import agent here in Portland to handle the import process and US Fish and Wildlife service or US Dept of Agriculture paperwork. There might be other agencies involve.

Any recommendations for an agent in the PDX area? I would like to use a company with good recommendations rather than a random pick from a google search. If the company supports northwestfirearms.com, that is even better.

thank guys.

Green

Last Edited:
Likely 4000 locals ate whatever they wanted with the dollars spent on the safari, thereby giving them incentive to conserve their valuable resource. And they also very likely ate the meat.
I am aware of the '4000 locals' eating the game meat, but I also wondered if the hunter ate any. I know the meat cannot be brought back, FDA needs to change that.:mad:

Did you eat any of the game?

Not the OP, but hunted (poorly) in Namibia a year ago.

It was a cull hunt for Oryx/gemsbok and Red Hartebeest.

I had both prepared in traditional style and both were excellent. I would choose the Oryx, being a little more tender.

Oryx as good as or better than premium beef in the preparations that I had.

Yes, we ate impala, blesbuck, gemsbuck, and Kudu. All expertly prepared in our camp. The kudu was the best. My wife is not a fan of wild game but she loved all the meat.

somewhere here I have some photos of the food. Maybe on my other computer.

the meat we ate was shot by the hunters in the camp the week before. With the time it takes to skin, then gut, then let the meat hang and cool a couple of days before butchering, it was about a week before the chef prepared it.

It was definitely a good trip, I will go back again for Mr Cape buffalo when the time is right.

If you are looking exclusively for PDX here is an option:

/

These folks get good reviews on an African hunting website:

I saw Brownstone International on the web. I was wondering if they were any good. I'll give them a call tomorrow. Thank you.

When I was there we ate what the party before us shot and the party after us ate meat that we had shot They like to hang the meat for a while there.
The one exception was a kudu my friend shot early in the day we had the backstraps, heart and liver. Liver was meh but Kudu heart was the bomb. I darn near ate the whole thing myself.

Tell us about your hunt @Greenandy

Thanks for asking. After doing some research in Sports Afield and other online sources and reading everything written by Craig Boddington, I felt like I was ready for a big adventure. My wife loves to travel, so she said book an African trip. I bought my trip at a Friends of the NRA dinner auction. It was donated by Authentic African Adventures, a private land owner in Limpopo province of South Africa. Over the years, I saw many donated trips going for ridiculously low prices in these auctions. I wasn't going to let this one get away! I bought this trip for a ridiculously low price. It included 8 days, 7 nights in camp, transportation to and from Johannesburg, all meals and snacks at hunting camp, one animal (impala or Blesbok) per person, all for 4 hunters. Two professional hunters for the four of us. We were treated like royalty during the whole stay.

Yes, we had to pay for our airfare. Buy early and get a good deal. We flew Delta Airlines non-stop from Atlanta. I brought two rifles, one light and one heavy for my wife and I. The other couple we went with barrowed a camp rifle, a nice 270 Win with a suppressor. They hunted blesbok and a 270 was perfect for them. Taking rifles overseas is not difficult. Or you can barrow a camp rifle for a small extra charge.

We also decided to pay for extra night at a hunting guest house near the Johannesburg airport when we arrived, and used the same guest house again for an overnight when we departed. It allowed us to get rest after the inbound flight and before the return flight and take a shower/change clothes before the evening flight back to the US. The guest house also picked us up and delivered us to the airport.

The hunting was on private land (as most of South Africa is private land) on high fence game farms. We had thousands of acres to hunt including neighboring property.

My wife and I hunted zebra, blue wildebeast, blesbok, and impala. Cape buffalo and sable was not in the budget. Next time. The basic animals of Impala and blesbok are included with the 7 day package. You pay extra fees for all other animals.

Tips for the staff, tips for the PHs, game processing fees, and shipping trophies back to the States is not included in the basic hunt. Budget accordingly.

We hunted for 5 days, then used the last two days of the trip to visit Kruger National Park, which was an extra charge, but reasonable. Our PHs were the guides and drivers. We spent two nights in the park before being dropped off at the guest house in Johannesburg. In the hours before our return flight, we did a six hour tour of Johannesburg, including museums, lunch, and Soweto.

My wife and I like touring and visiting other counties. During breaks from hunting we visited the small towns in the Limpopo province. We visited first world shopping malls, third world markets, gun shops, a taxidermy businesses, restaurants, and even had to get eye glasses repaired at a local shop. While out in the bush my wife got a nasty cut and it needed stitches. A traveling doctor was nearby the hunting camp and did the repairs, otherwise we would have visited a local clinic. I can't image what that would have been like.

I highly recommend supporting the NRA and purchasing these auctions when they come up. You will probably get a 80% discount from the standard rate. The hunting company doesn't know what was paid for the hunt. They take great care of you!

Last Edited:
Thanks for asking. After doing some research in Sports Afield and other online sources and reading everything written by Craig Boddington, I felt like I was ready for a big adventure. My wife loves to travel, so she said book an African trip. I bought my trip at a Friends of the NRA dinner auction. It was donated by Authentic African Adventures, a private land owner in Limpopo province of South Africa. Over the years, I saw many donated trips going for ridiculously low prices in these auctions. I wasn't going to let this one get away! I bought this trip for a ridiculously low price. It included 8 days, 7 nights in camp, transportation to and from Johannesburg, all meals and snacks at hunting camp, one animal (impala or Blesbok) per person, all for 4 hunters. Two professional hunters for the four of us. We were treated like royalty during the whole stay.

Yes, we had to pay for our airfare. Buy early and get a good deal. We flew Delta Airlines non-stop from Atlanta. I brought two rifles, one light and one heavy for my wife and I. The other couple we went with barrowed a camp rifle, a nice 270 Win with a suppressor. They hunted blesbok and a 270 was perfect for them. Taking rifles overseas is not difficult. Or you can barrow a camp rifle for a small extra charge.

We also decided to pay for extra night at a hunting guest house near the Johannesburg airport when we arrived, and used the same guest house again for an overnight when we departed. It allowed us to get rest after the inbound flight and before the return flight and take a shower/change clothes before the evening flight back to the US. The guest house also picked us up and delivered us to the airport.

The hunting was on private land (as most of South Africa is private land) on high fence game farms. We had thousands of acres to hunt including neighboring property.

My wife and I hunted zebra, impala, blesbok, and impala. Cape buffalo and sable was not in the budget. Next time. The basic animals of Impala and blesbok are included with the 7 day package. You pay extra fees for all other animals.

Tips for the staff, tips for the PHs, game processing fees, and shipping trophies back to the States is not included in the basic hunt. Budget accordingly.

We hunted for 5 days, then used the last two days of the trip to visit Kruger National Park, which was an extra charge, but reasonable. Our PHs were the guides and drivers. We spent two nights in the park before being dropped off at the guest house in Johannesburg. In the hours before our return flight, we did a six hour tour of Johannesburg, including museums, lunch, and Soweto.

My wife and I like touring and visiting other counties. During breaks from hunting we visited the small towns in the Limpopo province. We visited first world shopping malls, third world markets, gun shops, a taxidermy businesses, restaurants, and even had to get eye glasses repaired at a local shop. While out in the bush my wife got a nasty cut and it needed stitches. A traveling doctor was nearby the hunting camp and did the repairs, otherwise we would have visited a local clinic. I can't image what that would have been like.

I highly recommend supporting the NRA and purchasing these auctions when they come up. You will probably get a 80% discount from the standard rate. The hunting company doesn't know what was paid for the hunt. They take great care of you!
I envy you. Africa is an amazing place and I want to go back someday myself
I'm glad you got your hunt through Friends of the NRA
That's how I did my hunt
I was at an FNRA dinner/ auction with a pal and won the auction. We went with NB safaris which alas is no more as the owner, Neil Barnard, died in a traffic accident. Nonetheless it was the trip of a lifetime. We negotiated a deal and NB let our friends come along for the same price as our winning bid $3000 for 2 of us, so $1500/hunter got us lodging, meals and drinks, transportation, PHs and a credit for an impala or blesbok. 5 of us went. We wanted to see the sights too so we arranged a tour break in the middle of the hunt and we went up to Botswana and had excursions to Namibia and Zimbabwe. The best night of the whole trip was on the way to northern Botswana We stayed at a place called the Elephant Sands Lodge in the absolute middle of nowhere in the Kalahari. It was an oasis and the only place for 100s of miles, so all the travelers in the area stopped there for the night. It was a blast we were chatting up people from Germany, Japan Russia and South Africans at this tiny bar there. And the sky!! When they turned off the generator it was lights (and water) out. The sky was clear and every star was out, including the Southern Cross and Magellanic cloud Simply breathtaking.
We saw Victoria Falls in Zimbabwe and ate lunch at the Victoria Falls Hotel
That place dripped history with portraits of generals, royalty, chieftains and other notables along with massive trophies of lions, buffalo and more.
We went fishing for tigerfish on the Chobe River and ended up with catfish, which we gave the locals and toured game parks and villages.
On the hunt the 5 of us took zebra, kudu, gemsbok, wildebeest, Nyala, impala and blesbok.
That flight on Delta was exhausting, wasn't it? 16 hours!! I slept a few hours on the way over and not at all on the way back.
It took forever to get our trophies but when they arrived! What a day, Big crates dropped off in my driveway Unpacking with neighbors watching and asking about the trip and the trophies
It will be like Christmas for you when they arrive.

You have done something extraordinary, sir. Hunting in Africa was one of the greatest experiences in my life. I hope it was for you too,

Anyway.. Like I said, the trip of a lifetime. I might go back for a Cape Buffalo someday
Good on you for taking that leap and going!!

GWS... Your trip sounds like mine. A trip of a lifetime with great memories. I would like to do a trip like your's someday to Zimbabwe and Botswana.

You reminded me of the night sky around the camp fire. Clear sky's and no city lights to spoil it.

And we made friends with other hunters from all over. The bed and breakfast guest house near Jo'burg airport always had hunters coming and going. My wife made friends with another hunter from Michigan and her husband. They still talk online to this day.

Yes, I want to go back and hunt Cape, kudu and sable. My youngest daughter will insist on going too. I need to save my pennies!

Here are a couple of photos. If you don't have photos or scars, it didn't happen! LOL;)
Blue Buff small.jpg

Zebra small.jpg

Don't mess with these guys.
Buff small.jpg

Elephant photo from Kruger National Park. Photo credit: Wife
Eleph small.jpg

Glad you had an amazing trip and thanks for posting up a report and the photographs!

My first trip to the African continent was to Namibia in 2019. Absolutely amazing from the time I left the airport at Windhoek to the time I had to fly back.

I remember leaving the airport and hitting the road and just seeing the wildlife that you would only see in a zoo here in the states. "Oh hey, there's a baboon, oh a warthog, look a giraffe and an ostrich"

People at the lodge were awesome, eating local/game food was amazing. Talking with folks from a different nation over a few beverages and an open sky by the fire at night was fantastic. IMGP1050.JPG

IMGP1032.JPG

IMGP0995 copy.JPG

This is a dream of mine! Hopefully someday.

Do it!!
It isn't really that difficult or expensive.
Next Friends of the NRA dinner, take a chance and bid on the safari.
One of the guys on my trip did it all for about $7K That included airfare, 3 animals and the weeklong tour we took to Botswana, including Zimbabwe (Victoria Falls) and a few hours in Namibia. We were gone 17 days including travel time (30 hours flight time and layovers each way Johannesburg to San Jose CA )

My pal and I won the auction late in 2007 and went in the summer of 2009. Spent the intervening months getting in shape and saving the money for the trip.
All you really have to do is make the decision to do it.
It will be one of, if not the greatest adventure of your life.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top