JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So we have our last child on the way, due April 20. My wife just informed me that she wants to get a Mothers ring with all the birth stones in it. Got quotes to day for around $1200.

So got me thinking, feels like an opportunity to get a "Fathers Gun". Only fair right? ;)

Was thinking something fairly simple with my kids names engraved or something like that. But which one.

I have a pair of Buckmarks with consecutive serial numbers for my two boys so another buckmark to match was an idea but engraved

Wondering if anyone has done this before, if so what did you do? Post pictures if you have something special.

Thanks for the help

Otis

The 1911 suggestion (or the Henry rifle) is good because you can have flat surfaces engraved quite nicely and economically at any "trophy or awards" store (done by machine). Depending on number of kids, I might elect a revolver, having each kid's name engraved on the exterior of a chamber on the cylinder. This would require I think, a true engraver at more expense. Three kids? skip a cylinder between each name.

I am certain you have already considered that any gun so engraved would diminish in resale value.

I'm all for the 1911 suggestion- but a Kimber for an heirloom piece?? Seriously?? Might as well save some $$ and buy a hi-point....

OK that out of the way as much as I'm a Springfield whore- pick up a Colt. yes any engraving you do will kill collector value- but on a piece like this I have to admit there is just something to sticking with Colt.

I like the colt idea. Hi Points have a lot of space for engraving lol I think a nice beretta over under shotgun could be really cool. I have a hard time keeping guns for more then a couple years lol but i picked up a 79 single six and plan to keep it in the fam

I would look at it as a chance to get multiple guns. One gun for each child you have with one (or all) name engraved on each one. This way you avoid any squabble over who a single gun would be left to when you pass. ;)

The 1911 suggestion (or the Henry rifle) is good because you can have flat surfaces engraved quite nicely and economically at any "trophy or awards" store (done by machine). Depending on number of kids, I might elect a revolver, having each kid's name engraved on the exterior of a chamber on the cylinder. This would require I think, a true engraver at more expense. Three kids? skip a cylinder between each name.

I am certain you have already considered that any gun so engraved would diminish in resale value.

Didnt think about the revolver idea. Yes there will be 3 kids engraved and skipping a cylinder on each is a great idea. I also like the Colt 1911 idea and not sure i would be taking to a "trophy" engraver, would much rather have it done by someone who knows guns.

And yes the diminishing value is a non issue. It will never be leaving my family. Or better not be, if it does then my family would not like me so much when I wake up from 6 feet under to get it back:angry:

Speaking of engraving, does anyone know of one that they have used and trust to do a great job? This is the type of thing I would rather go into on a recommendation rather than just willy nilly.

Thanks for the responses

Otis

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top