JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Gang-
I know absolutely nothing about the AR platform but my boss has asked me to research it for him since he seems to think I'm the office 'gun guy.' I'm proud of the moniker, but haven't a clue. Here's what he wants: an AR that he can hunt with, probably no more than 200 yards in heavily wooded Western Washington forests for elk and deer. I'm thinking 308 buy haven't any idea what's really available. Need input on barrel length, make, model. He's shot ARs back in his military days (20 years ago) so he sorta knows them. He was looking at the Colt LE901-16s due to its convertability, but a cursory search on the innerwebs made me flinch. He's fine with spending $1200 or so, since that's what the Colt goes for.

Okay? Go!

We know that you can't shoot elk with a .223, the legal limit in Washington is 6mm. He's got a 300 Ultra, but it doesn't work for him in the shrubbery.

Don' be a butt kisser. Tell him to do his own homework cause if be doesn't like it, It's your fault and it will be held against you latter on.

We know that you can't shoot elk with a .223, the legal limit in Washington is 6mm. He's got a 300 Ultra, but it doesn't work for him in the shrubbery.

Either the 6.5 Grendel or 300 Blackout with standard velocity ammo would work. Equivalent established but older rifle cartridges have taken tons (literally) of North American big game, and did it without the benefit of modern bullet designs. It's more about shot placement. The only study of the efficacy of modern magnum rifle cartridges on big game found they preformed worse than standard cartridges. The probable reason cited in the study was the lack of proficiency or the shooter. Either they bought the magnum chambered rifle to make up for a known lack of proficiency or bought it and didn't practice due to the expense of ammo and/or the unpleasant recoil.
Anyone who carries around an AR10 platform usually regrets it if they have an option. Unless you put on a very long heavy contour barrel the weight of a similarly set up ar15 is some where between 2/3 to 1/2 of the AR10 which is big after a day hiking.
Whatever way you go make sure the barrel is a free float at least rifle length but 15 inch would be better and slick. Quad rails suck to hold and tear up fabric, slick hand guards with a modular system for rails is the way to go. Rifle length gas systems will give you a slightly longer and smoother felt recoil cycle that only matters for fast splits and transitions but why not do it. 18-20 inch medium profile barrel and be careful about putting a comp on. If it's just for hunting and you won't put on ear pro for all shots skip it as the hearing loss is not worth the reduced muzzle rise.
The rest is gravy.
BTW I assumed you would be building it because it's not worth buying a complete one when more likely than not you will have to change it up to fit you needs.

Colt 901 is what I'd suggest. The 901 is able to change from 308 to 5.56 (223), by switching uppers and a magazine adapter for 5.56.

Colt-LE901-16S_0011.jpg

Colt-LE901-16S_0011.jpg

I have a DPMS Panther in .308 and like it a lot. It's got really light recoil and I can hit a deer-sized target at 600 yards with it. You can get all kinds of factory hunting ammo in 308, and (relatively) cheap practice ammo too. That said, I'd never hunt with that gun anywhere that there is much hiking involved. I have a bolt action rifle that weighs about half what the AR-10 does and is more accurate too. It's not like you can't get a shorter barrel on a bolt gun if you want one. ARs are fun, but probably not a great choice for an inexperienced hunter.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top