JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Need help, In the Sunday Oregonian 2/3/13 on page A2. There was an article "Forget CSI: Tracing Guns" This article was VERY INTERESTING. I am computer illiterate and on dial-up. If someone could get this article and post it or make it clickable. I'm sure a lot of people would like to read it. The Oregonian got it from The Associated Press and it was by Alicia Caldwell.
With the stroke of OBAMA's EXECUTIVE PEN the Federal Government could have all gun sales sense 1968 in a computer data base. Right now the Feds can't do it. But anyhow if someone could do this for me I would really appreciate it.

I read that article. It is true that they could someday collate all of those purchasing records into a database, but there would need to be a couple of laws changed for that to occur (probably not going to get by the House of Reps). Also, it would literally take years to have all of that data transferred into digital format. Most all of those records have been filled out by hand and in all kinds of different formats, so OCR software won't work. They'll have to enter each record into the database by hand typing it. At the current rate of government actually getting things done, my kids will die of old age before any of my gun purchases ever find their way into any database.

Additionally, it is the BATFE who would most likely be in charge of making something like this happen. Those guys are much closer to the Keystone Kops than they are to an efficient federal law enforcement agency. Just look at their past record.

This doesn't mean that the feds couldn't start fresh with some new program of new and used gun sales (from this point in time forward) going into a database. They may be able to accomplish that if they can get the Senate and House to go along and change some laws.

You know, it just occurred to me. Every gun is test fired before it leaves the factory (at least I hope so), right? What if it became a requirement that a test bullet and shell be turned into the ATF (or choose your flavor) before shipping. I realize with current technology it may not be feasible on such a grand scale, but in the future it may be possible to setup a database of the barrel and firing pin of every new gun sold. Then, if FFL transfer info were kept (I know it isn't supposed to be, but come on they don't shred it and burn the pieces), the recovery of a shell or bullet from a crime scene could be connected to a certain gun and the trail followed to the end user.

Yes, you can change the pin and barrel, and yes you can poke holes in it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see something close to this someday.

I think it was New York? That wanted all the guns sold there to have the Serial No. inside of the barrel and a Micro stamp on the firing pin to mark the primer? I'm sure their is somebody out there that knows more about it.

You know, it just occurred to me. Every gun is test fired before it leaves the factory (at least I hope so), right? What if it became a requirement that a test bullet and shell be turned into the ATF (or choose your flavor) before shipping. I realize with current technology it may not be feasible on such a grand scale, but in the future it may be possible to setup a database of the barrel and firing pin of every new gun sold. Then, if FFL transfer info were kept (I know it isn't supposed to be, but come on they don't shred it and burn the pieces), the recovery of a shell or bullet from a crime scene could be connected to a certain gun and the trail followed to the end user.

Yes, you can change the pin and barrel, and yes you can poke holes in it, but I wouldn't be surprised to see something close to this someday.
At least one state (MA as I remember) requires it now. So far it hasn't solved one crime that I've seen.

The same would hold true for having the gun micro engraved so it leaves an imprint on the casing. Too easy to change and defeat it.

My .357 Blackhawk is a 1968 Model Purchased new in '69 for me by my Dad while I was in Vietnam, it will come back to him if there is still a record from the bankrupt and long gone company that sold it. I think he bought it in Montana while living in Wyoming. He had three or four newer addresses before he died. I don't think I'll fret about 1968 or 1969. Now I do get more concerned about the eighties and after and that would get my attention. Those computerized records are so much easier for the government to manipulate.

Every gun I've bought new in recent times has come with a sealed manila envelope a couple pieces of brass inside. If I lived in a more oppressive state, the gun store would be required to send that envelope to the state.

As it is...two free pieces of brass...lol.

Need help, In the Sunday Oregonian 2/3/13 on page A2. There was an article "Forget CSI: Tracing Guns" This article was VERY INTERESTING. I am computer illiterate and on dial-up. If someone could get this article and post it or make it clickable. I'm sure a lot of people would like to read it. The Oregonian got it from The Associated Press and it was by Alicia Caldwell.
With the stroke of OBAMA's EXECUTIVE PEN the Federal Government could have all gun sales sense 1968 in a computer data base. Right now the Feds can't do it. But anyhow if someone could do this for me I would really appreciate it.

It wouldn't be all gun sales from licensees either. FFLs must retain a Form 4473 for 20 years. FFLs can destroy those records at after that.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top