JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I posted asking for help working up a .223 VMAX round and with the help of the NWFA folks. I got it all straightened out and I am getting 1" or better. I figured I would try the same thing and work up a load for my 7mm.

I am shooting a browning X-bolt Hells Canyon. I have had good luck with the Federal Power Shock in 175, and the Federal Trophy Copper. The 175s shoot a hair better, but I am under an inch with both and getting the same POI. I have been using the Power-Shock for practice and would with all the brass I have laying around was hoping folks could help me work up a load similar to that to save me some cash. I figure that the Trophy Copper is good to go, and given how little I shoot it, I can justify the cost.

I need a powder, primer, and bullet.

What are you hunting for and at what distance? For loads in the 120 to 140gr, I've used H4350 and Reloader 19. 150 to 160, Reloader 22 or H4831. Heavier than 160, Reloader 26 looks pretty good. Unless shooting 500+ yards, I'd max out at 160gr. The 175gr are traditionally not high BC with Nosler Partitions, Swift A-Frame, Trophy Bonded Bear Claw and Speer Hot Cor being the most common. They work great in the timber and penetrate like crazy. The 178gr and 180gr are generally high BC types for long range shooting, but aren't generally built as tough.

Somewhere between 59 and 63 gr of Rl 22 with a 160 gr partitions to get 3000 fps accounted for many critter's for me when the 7mag was my only bgr.

Looking for a practice bullet in the 165-175 grain to pair with my federal trophy copper that i use to hunt

Here is the issue, affordable target bullets at those weights will be lead core, therefore more dense and shorter in the shank than a mono-metal copper bullet. The loads are not interchangeable. If using copper, go lighter to give you more velocity/reliable expansion. They don't shed weight, so you can go 20% lighter and get the same effect.

Appologies.... My power shock are 175 (target/practice), and I paired that with a 150 grain copper (hunting), that is how I get the same POI. So i am looking for a 175 target bullet load for practice.

My 1000 yard load from 30 years ago was 66.5 grains of ( old ) H4831,168 SMK in neck sized R-P brass, Rem 9-1/2 std primer.
3050 fps from a 27" Douglas 1-9 barrel.
5 rounds in 5/8" @ 100 yds.

YMMV, of course.

My 7mm is more of long range plinker so I have been loading the heavier bullets. Being a plinker and not a competitor, I don't have a need for real expensive bullets so I have been pretty happy with the Hornady VLD-M in 180 gr and the VLD-X in 175 gr.

I tried Reloader 22 but didn't get very good accuracy or speed. Reloader 26 has been much better in both respects. I am pushing either bullet in the 2900 fps range which makes them pretty flat shooting with their high BC's.

My 7mm is more of long range plinker so I have been loading the heavier bullets. Being a plinker and not a competitor, I don't have a need for real expensive bullets so I have been pretty happy with the Hornady VLD-M in 180 gr and the VLD-X in 175 gr.

I tried Reloader 22 but didn't get very good accuracy or speed. Reloader 26 has been much better in both respects. I am pushing either bullet in the 2900 fps range which makes them pretty flat shooting with their high BC's.

Hornady ELD-M

Berger VLD

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top