JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Have to ask the dumb question. It's a wildcat, and it's been fired in the past---do
you have any of that fired brass? Saving it to be reloaded again would make sense.

Not as good as a cerrosafe cast---but it should give you an idea WHICH 17-222 you
are dealing with.
Yea, my dad and I have shot it many times back in the 70's, he built it for coyote hunting. He had a portable record player that used a bunch of C cell batteries for power and had a 33rpm record with wounded rabbit on one side and wounded deer fawn on the other. Try listening to that for an hour or so. We would play to draw in coyotes. Real pain to listen to but really worked. My uncle had a ranch out of Baker Or and had a terrible coyote problem so appreciated it when we reduced their numbers. My dad is in his 90s now and in assisted living facility in Vale Or and we don't have any idea where the die is or any old brass. It probably hasn't been shot for 35 years. So think the casting idea is the only way to move forward but to be honest might just put on wall. One thing for sure its the safest firearm I own since there are no bullets on earth for it.

Ethan, don't think of it as a difficulty. Think of it as a project and a learning experience. Once you have a chamber cast you can move forward with getting the required brass and forming dies. It's pretty darn satisfying.

The first rifle I ever bought as a high school boy was a '93 Marlin in 38-55. At the time, there were no factory loads or even brass available. I did get a box of empties and the dies with the rifle, and the guy even gave me the Lyman bullet moulds. An old gunsmith friend told me I could just get 30-30 brass and fireform that to the chamber. It worked! That was my first experience with fireforming.

Years later while in the Navy, I stumbled upon a 99 Savage takedown in 22 Savage High Power, at a gun shop in Seattle. They were asking a more than reasonable price for it just because it was a "wall hangar" and no way to shoot it. No ammunition made. Oh, you can make it alright! A project pretty similar to what you are looking at right now.

Over the years I have accumulated a lot of books and articles from noted gun cranks of the past. From the period your rifle was likely built, and it was built in this neck of the woods, the case design might be one of P.O. Ackleys brain children. He was actually a proponent of the .17 caliber for varmint hunting. Just a thought, and perhaps a starting point for some research.
Thanks for info Whisky but I don't have the room or equipment to ever get into reloading for his type of project. I just don't know what I would ever do with it. Might consider trading it for something in the future.

Well, Ethan, I would not make a quick decision with a family heirloom like that, first get a definitive answer on its cartridge. I promise that at some point you will regret selling it!
Couple ideas, rebarrel it. Have a smith etc make some custom ammo for it. I'm sure others on the site can add ideas!
Best of luck figuring something out!

Hang it on the wall for now if you want----

Even though your dad doesn't remember where the brass/dies etc are, I'll bet they
are not gone. Next month or next year you will be looking for something totally
unrelated---and there that stuff will be. With the brass and die in hand, getting some
ammo loaded for it will be easy.

Thanks for info Whisky but I don't have the room or equipment to ever get into reloading for his type of project. I just don't know what I would ever do with it. Might consider trading it for something in the future.

If you do run across the dies and brass, your more than welcome to come over and use one of my press's. No worries if your not familiar with reloading..I can work up a load for it right here and reload a couple hundred rounds for it in just a few hours!

If you do run across the dies and brass, your more than welcome to come over and use one of my press's. No worries if your not familiar with reloading..I can work up a load for it right here and reload a couple hundred rounds for it in just a few hours!

This is a very nice offer. And I also would suggest not getting rid of this rifle, Way to many memories that can not be replaced.

I understand it can be a daunting task, especially if you're not a handloader. If you don't have the equipment and the reference materials it's nearly impossible. Like Sgt Nambu said, hold onto it no matter what. There's a lot of good memories in it and you will regret selling it at some point!

If you're going to hang it on the wall, lube it with Eezox or one of the other long lasting lubricants (other members will be along any minute to tell you their favorites). It may sit up there for a long time and you may run across ammo for it and want to shoot it, or you may pass it on to someone who will reload for it or have it re-chambered. Even if you're not going to shoot it, it can last a few generations longer if properly preserved. The wood looks pretty nice too, not sure what the best treatment would be or what finish you have on it now.

I bet 99% of the people on here wouldn't agree with that decision...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top