JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Measure the new grips against the old grips and check the length of them. The new ones sound like they could be a little too long. If you have an Ambi Safety does it function OK?

I am very good at figuring things out and would be more then willing to do so for you, if you want to ship it to me i'll even pay shipping and I'll see what I can do for you... Shoot me a PM if you'd like me to take a look at it :s0131:

I do have an Ambi safety and it too wont go up and down like its supposed to. The top of the grips don't seem to be binding up the slide, at least no to the naked eye. As soon as I take the new grips off and put the old ones back on everything works just fine. I don't get it...

I do have an Ambi safety and it too wont go up and down like its supposed to. The top of the grips don't seem to be binding up the slide, at least no to the naked eye. As soon as I take the new grips off and put the old ones back on everything works just fine. I don't get it...

Check the right side grip where the safety goes under it. Sounds like the grips are not for an Ambi Safety style set up. You need to remove a bit of the underside of the top right grip to make clearance for the safety. I had had the same problem here with my Detonics. Just look at the grips that you removed, and you can see the are that is trimmed down. Just do the same to the new grips ...

That explains the Ambi issue. Thank You. But even when the Ambi safety is down, with the new grips on the slide still wont move?? Any ideas? Or is it all related? I'll take my drummel and start on the other issue. Thanks again for taking the time to help.

Two things to look at are: 1) whether the underside of the right hand grip panel has an area that has been relieved of material in order to allow the ambi-safety to travel freely (as pinkhamr suggested) and 2) take a look at the upper left side grip panel to see if it is making contact with the slide release. This can be an issue especially with an extended slide release.

And stay away from the Dremel. Far too many firearms have been messed up with impatient owners and the Dremel Rotary Tool.

+1 on the extended slide release. Check to make sure the new grip does not force the release up into the slide, preventing free movement. A little work with a fine file should take off just enough material on the grip to allow the slide to move easily.

THANK YOU EVERYONE!! Figured it out. Wouldn't been able to do so this fast without everybodys help. Left grip was just a fraction too long prevented the Ambi from coming down enough for the slide to pass through. Can't really see unless you really look and compare to the previous grips.(this means taking them on and off a couple times for close comparison). And of course had to cut out a groove on the inside of the right grip so the Ambie could go up and down smoothly, and shave off a fraction off the top of that one as well. So much to do to put Kimber accesorie on a Kimber pistol.... But I still love Kimbers!!! Small price to pay. THANKS ALL!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top