JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Alright guys, i need some help. I have built a few AR's, all have been pistols with red dots. I am ready to start reaching out now. Im starting a new build that i would like to have longer range.
The problem I have is that i know absolutely nothing about scopes. I have only used irons and red dots since i started shooting. Im hoping you guys can give me some recommendations. It seems like there is an infinite amount of scopes out there and the prices vary so much that i dont even know where to start.
I plan on using a ballistic advantage 16-18in .223 wylde Mid length barrel. I dOnt need top of the line, but i dont want to go with something cheap (quality) either, as far as budget goes.
So basically any help is appreciated.

I've had a 1.5-5 Simmons scope on mine for a couple years now. zero problems, even for coyotes out at 2-300 yards.

IMG_3130 (1).jpg

I am ready to start reaching out now. I'm starting a new build that i would like to have longer range.
The problem I have is that i know absolutely nothing about scopes.

The first question to ask is what kind of shooting, hunting or target? If your interest is hunting then you want a scope with the widest field of view possible. Thats probably less important to target shooting only but does make the target easier to find in the field, especially offhand.

I dont mean to redirect your thread, but I recently posted a similar thread on affordable AR15 scopes where there are many really good suggestions. Affordable scope for AR15?

The first question to ask is what kind of shooting, hunting or target? If your interest is hunting then you want a scope with the widest field of view possible. Thats probably less important to target shooting only but does make the target easier to find in the field, especially offhand.

I dont mean to redirect your thread, but I recently posted a similar thread on affordable AR15 scopes where there are many really good suggestions. Affordable scope for AR15?
Thanks i will check out that thread. I guess i could have searched around a bit in the forum.
I will primarily be using this rifle for target shooting, and its secondary use will be for the boogaloo or a SHTF kinda situation.

If you're going to go 18" you might consider just keep on going to 20". That cartridge really shines out of a 20 inch barrel.
I use a 3-9 redfield, good low light coating for a reasonable price.

I plan on using a ballistic advantage 16-18in .223 wylde Mid length barrel. I dOnt need top of the line, but i dont want to go with something cheap (quality) either, as far as budget goes.
So basically any help is appreciated.

Watch parts 14 thru 22 of the Sniper 101 series to learn about scopes:

Trijicon TA11 it will cost you a grand but hey you asked.

Honestly it comes down to purpose and budget. I shoot most of mine with a basic 3x9x40, The rifle I have that has the most rounds on it uses a Simmons Aetec with have over 3000 rds of 5.45x39 on it. Held zero and is bright and clear. It's great for the price it's nothing compared to higher end scopes but if you are budget minded its a good place to start.

If you are looking something more tactical minded the a 1-4x6 is something you should look into.

Trijicon TA11 it will cost you a grand but hey you asked.

Honestly it comes down to purpose and budget. I shoot most of mine with a basic 3x9x40, The rifle I have that has the most rounds on it uses a Simmons Aetec with have over 3000 rds of 5.45x39 on it. Held zero and is bright and clear. It's great for the price it's nothing compared to higher end scopes but if you are budget minded its a good place to start.

If you are looking something more tactical minded the a 1-4x6 is something you should look into.
If there is a tougher optic than a ACOG I am unaware of it.
There are 1-8 and Vortex has a 1-10 power out there now.

your BA 18" would be great with with RL gas system as others stated. I love my BA barrels.

as for your scope, if your not going to rely on the reticle for nothing other than a aiming point (not ranging) then look at a SFP over a FFP scope. save ya money there.
Turrets. if you are going to be ripping turrets in matches then save some cash and get something higher mid level. If you are going to be learning turrets and shooting from a bench, bipod, backpack etc then it doesn't matter what quality you really get for the time being. At this point its just about understanding what dialing in MIL/MOA does to your point of impact and learning the math and or ballistics software.

just my .02

PST Gen II 3-15 is an excellent scope for the money. Don't let the MSRP scare you away. You should be able to get one for $800ish. I have one on my 308 AR and have been making hits on my 1000 yard gong with it.

IIRC, I paid closer to 6 bills for mine, barely used.

as for your scope, if your not going to rely on the reticle for nothing other than a aiming point (not ranging) then look at a SFP over a FFP scope. save ya money there.

That depends, my SFP retail cost is 2K, over 3 times what gave for my FFP. It completely depends on class of scope.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top