JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Tac Foley
Thank you, Sir. A fellow poster on northwestfirearms is getting hangups on the last round out of the mag of his No4 MkII - to me it looks like it's getting stopped from rising properly due to the excessive protrusion - it looks like around 2.5mm at le…
See more

• Patriks Surplus Kitchen
    Tac Foley "hangups" of what sort? do the last round out of the mag jams to the upper left corner in-front of the chamber? The Firing Pin should not Protrude at all during Loading a cartridge in the Chamber.
BTW, THIS is an Enfield rifle -

View attachment 893011

What you have is a LEE-Enfield rifle, the Lee being the name of the American who designed it in the first place. Anyhoo, if I were you, I'd be giving it a good and thorough clean BEFORE doing anything else, the second thing being signing up for the FB page on the Lee-Enfield rifle in all its variants.
Will do, thank you for asking about that for me. And apologies I just shortened lee enfield to enfield out of laziness.

More.....................

Tac Foley I have the gauge for FP protrusion - send him over to Brimstone Gunsmithing in Camas if he's in the Portland area.
Edit: just found the thread over there - he is also missing the auxiliary spring from his magazine. I think I may have some spares for that somewhere around here.

More.....................

Tac Foley I have the gauge for FP protrusion - send him over to Brimstone Gunsmithing in Camas if he's in the Portland area.
Edit: just found the thread over there - he is also missing the auxiliary spring from his magazine. I think I may have some spares for that somewhere around here.
Alright I'll be heading out that way here shortly.

Result!!

Let us know how you get on, eh?

Remember, though, that the Lee-Enfield is probably THE most complex rifle ever issued to an unsuspecting military audience. Almost everything about it, including removal of the firing pin, requires an armourers' tool. Even taking off the butt requires a LOT of thought and prior knowledge. Putting it all back together again and expecting it to be better than when you dismantled it can often be likened to trying to put toothpaste back into the tube. Back when they were actually made, a skilled stocker could take well over two hours to put the wooden bits on correctly, with the right amount of upwards pressure on something or other.

Anyhow, I'm sure you'll find out all this good stuff for yourself. BTW, treat yourself to the Skennerton book - it's not cheap, but screwing up your L-E can be lot more expensive.

Magazine was fubar but unfortunately the rifle has worse issues..

"Removed forend - draws are oil-soaked, compressed and falling apart. They have been professionally repaired at least once (possibly when the forend was converted from MkI to Mk2), but the repair blocks are now separating from the forend. The king screw spacer is also missing, and the forend is compressed around the king screw. The forend also had a non-professional repair plug added just forward of the king screw."

Unserialized bolt too

Last Edited:
Magazine was fubar but unfortunately the rifle has worse issues..

"Removed forend - draws are oil-soaked, compressed and falling apart. They have been professionally repaired at least once (possibly when the forend was converted from MkI to Mk2), but the repair blocks are now separating from the forend. The king screw spacer is also missing, and the forend is compressed around the king screw. The forend also had a non-professional repair plug added just forward of the king screw."

Unserialized bolt too
Bummer man.....How are you at intricate wood working/pinning/gluing? Peruse gunboards.com. There are some there that have repaired some of these with some terrible issues. Makes me feel like I got stoopid lucky with the one I bought. Everything thing was in good shape for me.

Bummer man.....How are you at intricate wood working/pinning/gluing? Peruse gunboards.com. There are some there that have repaired some of these with some terrible issues. Makes me feel like I got stoopid lucky with the one I bought. Everything thing was in good shape for me.
Eh at this point I'm just going to probably get a new(ish) old stock front/back stock set.

Repro magazine works at least :s0112:

Eh at this point I'm just going to probably get a new(ish) old stock front/back stock set.

Repro magazine works at least :s0112:
Some guys take great pleasure in rebuilding these things. And there's a definite beauty to well done repairs, even the ones that show on the outside. But I'M not one that has that ability!

Good l

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads