JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Im from Washington state and I'm 18 and about to purchase a handgun from a private party. I no I can only have the gun in my home place of business or my property. But as far as after I buy it, can I legally transport and have it in the can with me? Like if I get pulled over could I get in trouble? Can it be in the glove box please help thanks!

It must be transported locked and unloaded in the trunk or in a location not easily accessible otherwise you are carrying concealed without a permit.

You cannot have it on your person in the vehicle. I may be wrong on this part. It's arguable that an unloaded gun in the gloves box may be ok. But you would be explaining that to the judge at your hearing

.. They would need probable cause to search your vehicle.. Ex: glove box.
Tell them to fly a kite and that you do not consent to a search. Perhaps magazine out of the firearm.. However if seconds truly do could.. Having and unloaded firearm is a moot point.

Do I advise trying to break the law?
No.
However, its your life and you choose how best to defend it.
I would just have a shotgun in the vehicle.. But then again Im not all too familiar with Washington law.

Mace/bear spray is a terrific option.
Be careful toting around that pistol until you're 21.. Leos tend to not fully comprehend the current laws and interpret them how they see fit.

Im from Washington state and I'm 18 and about to purchase a handgun from a private party. I no I can only have the gun in my home place of business or my property. But as far as after I buy it, can I legally transport and have it in the can with me? Like if I get pulled over could I get in trouble? Can it be in the glove box please help thanks!

That is NOT what the law says, you might read it again. What it says is, "Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies", RCW 9.41.240: Possession of pistol by person from eighteen to twenty-one. so it might be worth your effort to read those exemptions along with the rest of the RCW's as linked already.

There are NO "storage for transportation" in WA. The main rule is it has to be unloaded and that is it. There are some exemptions where it can even be loaded, see above with the exemptions.

The "safest" way for you to transport it is simply have it unloaded.

It must be transported locked and unloaded in the trunk or in a location not easily accessible otherwise you are carrying concealed without a permit.

You cannot have it on your person in the vehicle. I may be wrong on this part. It's arguable that an unloaded gun in the gloves box may be ok. But you would be explaining that to the judge at your hearing

Could you please show me ANY law in WA that requires that? I have NEVER seen one.

He can have it on his person in the vehicle IF he falls under one of the exemptions. Since the only law in WA is that the gun needs to be unloaded (if not fitting one of the exemptions) then the glovebox is just fine.

the best advice I can give is not to test the limits of the law, go beyond what the law requires. Don't use a "what can I get away with" mentality, try a "without a doubt this is legal" approach.

This is probably not the best place to seek legal advice, to the best of my knowledge no one on this forum is a practicing lawyer in the state of Washington or Oregon.

Could you please show me ANY law in WA that requires that? I have NEVER seen one.

He can have it on his person in the vehicle IF he falls under one of the exemptions. Since the only law in WA is that the gun needs to be unloaded (if not fitting one of the exemptions) then the glovebox is just fine.

Not listed but for an 18 year old I wouldn't risk an over zealous cop making him explain it to a judge...

Honestly I don't keep up with that part of the law since I have a cpl...

Im from Washington state and I'm 18 and about to purchase a handgun from a private party. I know I can only hav the gun in my home place of business or my property.RCW 9.41.050(1)a Except in the person's place of abode or fixed place of business, a person shall not carry a pistol concealed on his or her person without a license to carry a concealed pistol.
I assume you mean concelled. If so you are correct.

But as far as after I buy it, can I legally transport and have it in the can with me? Like if I get pulled over could I get in trouble? Can it be in the glove box please help thanks![/QUOTE]
9.41.050 (3)(a) A person at least eighteen years of age who is in possession of an unloaded pistol shall not leave the unloaded pistol in a vehicle unless the unloaded pistol is locked within the vehicle and concealed from view from outside the vehicle.

This implies you can carry the gun awhere in the vehicle unloaded. I have personally had many unloaded guns in the car sitting on the seat and never been asked about them by LEO's.

Now lets touch on the exceptions to these rules.

RCW 9.41.060 Exceptions to restrictions on carrying firearms.

The provisions of RCW 9.41.050 shall not apply to:
(6) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of target shooting, when those members are at or are going to or from their places of target practice;

(7) Regularly enrolled members of clubs organized for the purpose of modern and antique firearm collecting, when those members are at or are going to or from their collector's gun shows and exhibits;

(8) Any person engaging in a lawful outdoor recreational activity such as hunting, fishing, camping, hiking, or horseback riding, only if, considering all of the attendant circumstances, including but not limited to whether the person has a valid hunting or fishing license, it is reasonable to conclude that the person is participating in lawful outdoor activities or is traveling to or from a legitimate outdoor recreation area;

(9) Any person while carrying a pistol unloaded and in a closed opaque case or secure wrapper; or...

Another RCW to know is 9.41.240 Possession of pistol by person from eighteen to twenty-one.
Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies, a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a pistol only:

(1) In the person's place of abode;

(2) At the person's fixed place of business; or

(3) On real property under his or her control (Cars are real property)

You can have it in the car, provided it's legal for transport (unloaded and locked away), I think you can also take it into the can with you, however I would highly recommend making sure it's your own can on your own property. For some reason armed people (mostly police) seem to think sitting on the can is an ideal time to play with a loaded firearm and the bullet holes present in police bathrooms is testament to this.

So, yes, you can have it in your can, however I wouldn't recommend playing with it, as you could go blind. :)

You can have it in the car, provided it's legal for transport (unloaded and locked away), I think you can also take it into the can with you, however I would highly recommend making sure it's your own can on your own property. For some reason armed people (mostly police) seem to think sitting on the can is an ideal time to play with a loaded firearm and the bullet holes present in police bathrooms is testament to this.

So, yes, you can have it in your can, however I wouldn't recommend playing with it, as you could go blind. :)

What WA law says this? IT does not EXIST. The ONLY law about transport in WA is that the gun HAS to be unloaded unless your meet an exemption.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top