JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I have a box each of Gold Dots bullets, 185, 200, and 230 gr. Finally got around to putting some test loads together, the goal being to duplicate factory loads, or at least get close. For the velocity I was after, CFE Pistol was the best choice of the powders I have on hand, Sierra data says I should be able to get close to factory ammo without having to resort to max loads. So much for the published data 🙄.

As stated, I was running below max charge weight with all three bullet weights, but even my heaviest charges were giving velocities at or below what the data showed for the starting charge. Not only that, but the cases were coming out REALLY sooty, looked like they'd been candled, and that was true of pretty much all charge weights. Only variable was bullet and charge weight, otherwise all the same brass, primers, and seating depth, with a light crimp using a Lee carbide FCD. Pistol is a Beretta PX 4 Storm full size, 4" barrel. Had no function issues of any sort, just really dirty brass and low velocities.

So what did I screw up? As stated, I avoided max charges, but I was well into the upper half of the range. I always thought sooty brass was either too low a charge weight, low pressure caused by insufficient crimp/case tension, or just a dirty burning powder, although that's never been an issue for me with any of the CFE powders. My plan (for now) is to re-run the max charges I used before, but with more crimp, see if that helps. However, any thoughts or suggestions ya'll might have would be much appreciated. Later.

Dave

I'm guessing your using 45acp so we'll start there.
You listed your barrel lenght but what is the barrel length listed in the load data?
What type of primer did you use and what does the load data say was used?
As for a "sooty" case that could be caused by the crimping. Think of it like a chimney, the longer it burns inside, the more soot it leaves behind. It could also be the powder burn is to slow.
I'm also going to guess you're trying for 800 - 900 fps and if so your lack of speed could be because you're using a shorter barrel than the load data used.

You listed your barrel lenght but what is the barrel length listed in the load data?
This^^ + 1

If I'm reading OP's #1 post correctly you didn't even load any to the actual book max yet? If not load to max.. And then some...!
Also look up several sources for your load data they rarely match 100% some are VERY conservative.

When I'm typically doing up a new load I load up to and past the max load data. I'd rather pull bullets than continue where I left off to pursue additional testing later.
When I approach max load though I load in very small increments and proceed with extreme caution. As long as primers and cases look fine I'm OK with going 50-75 fps over max or saami. I don't go by the Average fps either. I go by the HIGHEST (or fastest) shot recorded and usually stop there. Pressure signs are my maim indicator but I don't go too crazy with over max charges. Also I dont even crimp, not yet. I bell the case mouths and so far this is usually it. You can see the bullet base swell in the case midway up I haven't had one move on my yet.. That I know of.. I'll let you know if I get out to bulk shoot my 460 Rowland more (which I don't crimp) and will shoot some evil length magazine.

I haven't loaded any "typical" .45 acp loads yet, only 460 Rowland.

Vihta Vouri has a rep as very clean burning powder. So does W-W 231. VV N-105 produces some really decent velocities in semi-autos. As far as loads go, there is no more complete volume than the second edition of LEE's Modern Reloading. Sometihng like 38,000 different loads for all manner of calibers in it. The data is from all major bullet and powder manufacturers.

If looking to duplicate a factory load. I usually pull a few factory rounds. I measure OAL and such before. Then see if the poster looks familiar, and weight the powder charges.

Keep in mind, your gun may bore be the same as the test gun. The velocities they post are using a specific gun which may have a different length and twist. With this it wouldn't hurt testing velocities using factory gold dots through your barrel to see if you are getting the advertised velocities or not.

My plan (for now) is to re-run the max charges I used before, but with more crimp, see if that helps.
More crimp? All the crimp is on .45 acp is removing the slight flare at the top of the case. The slightest resistance in the handle puts a surprising amount of "squeeze" on the case. Get yourself up to some quicker powders. My preference has been W231/HP38. A lot of people have used TiteGroup. Up around HS-6 it gets a bit dirty. You're not mentioning how case fill is. A mostly empty case with a slower powder sometimes doesn't burn like it would in a case with more case fill.

Too bad bad you're not down here. I have a good amount of HP38 and would let one go.

:s0122:

Got any Unique? It has been the single most versatile powder since its introduction in 1898. Alliant is now advertising that it is a 'cleaner' formulation now - the original was known not so much for being dirty, but for leaving a few unburnt flakes in some loadings. It is the semi-auto classic and works really well in the 45. But there are so many propellants today that choosing is not easy.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top