JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Glock 19 was my first handgun 20yrs ago. I now own a G-27 40cal and a G-20 10mm. I love glock for a personal defense handgun because the design incorporates 3 automatic safeties and all you have to remember is rule #3 of safe gun handling (NEVER PLACE YOUR FINGER IN THE TRIGGER GUARD UNTIL READY TO FIRE). Well, of course you have to remember all 10 commandments of gun safety.

Other handgun designs are great but you need to know and remember how to work external safety levers and hammers under stress of combat. Go rent a few of the most recommended and see what YOU prefer.

I'll address your picks in order from my perspective.......just remember, they're my opinions and they are worth excatly what you paid for them.

1. PPQ - I liked the ergonomics of the PPQ but not the trigger. The H&K P30 is similar in my opinion, but way over priced($930)......then again, I like the HK trigger TONS better.
2. PPS - Just not my style.......I know guns aren't a looks thing, but I don't like it's looks(probably shoots great and I'd probably love it, but until someone has one at the range I can shoot, I'll avoid it).
3. Glock 19 - I own a Glock 23 which is essentially a Glock 19 but in .40S&W. What I have done is purchased a Lone Wolf Conversion Barrel, so I can swap out the .40 barrel for a 9mm barrel. When you do this and put in Glock 19mags, you get to shoot 9mm all day long out of a .40 caliber gun. I am not the biggest fan of the Glock, but I own 2, one of which I carry daily. They are blocky klunky and ugly in a "only a mother could love this" way. Here's why I own 2 Glocks: #1. They work #2 Parts are EVERYWHERE!
4. XD and XDm - My best friend has an XD .45 compact. In my opinion it is blocky/klunky/ugly in the same way as the Glock, but it's still not as widely accepted as the Glock. It's nice enough to shoot, but I don't feel good about it. My co-worker just got an XDm in .45(full size) and it is quite nice, I don't have but 15rounds through his but it's nice, night and day different/better than the standard XD. If you choose this, you'd be crazy to NOT get the XDm. And it shoots REALLY accurately. They really brag about their match barrel...to be honest I don't care what barrel it's got in it, it can shoot.
5. The M&P, my personal favorite, but it's been a love/hate thing. I got a first production run gun whose trigger I HATED, it went straight to the gunsmith to get a trigger job and I wasn't happy. I bought an APEX Duty/Carry trigger kit and installed it....it still didn't quite do the trick, so I called APEX, they suggested I get Smith & Wesson's new version sear housing block and the new striker. The sear housing block didn't really do much, but the new striker, WOW! I am looking for a new holster and this will probably be my new carry gun.

So my suggestion in order of my preference:
1. Get a current production M&P with a $90 Apex Duty/Carry Trigger job and you are home free. You can get conversion barrels for these as well. The guns are being adopted by many departments, parts are becoming more prolific & the parts aren't expensive per se.
2. If you don't like that, you can't go wrong with the PPQ, but what do parts cost? What are their availability?
3. If you want something that will be around at the end of time and there will always be parts....Glock(I'd go with the 23 and the conversion barrel because I like flexibility).
4. XDm, nice gun, just haven't seen enough of them to know.
5. PPS because it's ugly.

Good luck!
simpleguy

Lots of love from most for the Glock 19. Great gun. IF this is going to be a HD and range gun, next trip to the gun shop, hold the Glock 17. That is the duty sized gun. Pretty big to conceal though. My wife likes the 17 over the 19 for the bulk that helps with felt recoil. I am also a fan of the S&W M&P, but if is not comfortable in your hand, and the Glock is, well you know what way to lean.

Lots of love from most for the Glock 19. Great gun. IF this is going to be a HD and range gun, next trip to the gun shop, hold the Glock 17. That is the duty sized gun. Pretty big to conceal though. My wife likes the 17 over the 19 for the bulk that helps with felt recoil. I am also a fan of the S&W M&P, but if is not comfortable in your hand, and the Glock is, well you know what way to lean.

I admit I am not a small man but I have concealed a full size 1911 or BHP for 27 years now.. the 19 is easy by comparison, if a little thick

It's a very good feeling to pull a full size service pistol when trouble starts

Not a fan of Glocks myself, they dont fit me and I dont shoot them well but others love them. You should give them a try. If I were to buy one it would probably be a G19. I am obviously a .45 guy but I've owned many over the years and just starting out I'd stick with a 9mm as they're easy to shoot and you can afford to practice with it. I own a few different platforms including my beloved 1911s but they're not a beginners gun by any means. I'd give a hard look at the Smith and Wesson M&P series ( just picked up a 4" .45 M&P and like it alot ) You could also give a shot at a Sig P226 but it'll cost ya. I also like the XD series and have a .40 ( be happy to trade for a .45 ) The XDs are very ergonomic and shoot well. No experience with the walther.

Spend the money on training first. Take a class, many great instructors around, OFA has great instruction. Frontsight in Nevada also has a great classes. Then once you are trained you will be better able to select the firearm that meets your needs. This will save you money in the long run over buying and selling a bunch of guns until you find what works for you. Given that I have tried just about everything and the G19 is still great it is simple and reliable without a lot of gears and levers (safeties /decockers) to think about in stressful situations like home defense.

Make sure you try the S&W M&P. You could even get a pro version in your price range. VERY comfortable gun to hold and even better to shoot. I was looking for a 9mm, I tried glock's, xd, SR9, PPQ, CZ75, 92FS, 1911 and m&p. I just kept going back to the M&P. Picked mine up last week (my 1st handgun) and already thinking about a compact or Shield to carry full time. I have been carrying the full size, but would like something a touch smaller.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top