JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
In the next couple of weeks I'm going to be buying my first handgun and would appreciate some input from someone with experience with handguns. The primary role of the gun will be a HD piece but if it's small enough to conceal its a plus. Since this would be my first handgun I plan on shooting it alot so something that's fun at the range and in 9mm because I cant afford to shoot a .45 as much as I'm planning to. I've looked at a few at the local shop and in order from best to worst feeling were the Walter PPQ, Walter PPS, G19, XD/XDm, and S&W M&P. Is there any others that I should consider before I decide? My price range is between $500 and $700. Thanks for any help.

My first vote would be the G19. Good solid pistol, lots of upgrades available, slimmer and trimmer than the XD, cheaper than the Smith (in most cases). Lots of police trade ins around these days so I'd check with shops for that kinda thing as well, although most of those will be 40 cal guns.

There are lots of very happy, very loyal G19 owners. Glock has been around for awhile, and is a great brand.

Still, my nod is to the PPQ. Best ergonomics, best trigger, same reliability. Some people will say that it's a new gun, and needs time to prove that it will live up to Glock reliability. My response to that is that it's basically a 'Gen 3 P99'. It HAS been time and round tested.

I own a PPQ, and it eats anything I feed it. The ergonomics and trigger make it VERY easy to shoot accurately. I have tested it 'dry' (no or little lubricant), with garbage ammo, and it runs flawlessly.

To be frank, I feel that the PPQ is just about perfect.

There is lot's of options for a 9mm in your price range. Sig Sauer(New or used), CZ, Magnum Research Baby Eagle, FNX. Or used S&W 5903 or 3913, etc..

S&W's and Sig's fit my hand well, as do FN's and CZ's.

Not everyone likes the grip angle of the Glock.

Take some time and try diffrent makes to see what fits your hand and points well for you. Try out friends handguns or go rent some at a range, the more you try the better you will fell about your purchase.

M67

All of the previous suggestions are great. I've had a Ruger Mark III target and a Ruger 22/45, a CZ 75B, and a CZ P-07, all great guns. Funny, I just posted a long list of what guns I've had on another thread and completely got to include the two Rugers. If you did go with the Ruger, I'd go with the 22/45. It's ergonomically identical to a 1911, even down to being able to take 1911 grips, with controls in the same locations, etc, so if you ever step up to a 1911, as most of us do someday, you'll have the fundamentals down pat.

But all of that said, my next gun will be a Walther PPQ. I picked one up at the last gun show just to check out the handling and trigger and all I can say is I was amazed. The trigger has to be the best striker-fired trigger out there right now. Reset is so short it's amazing and it breaks clean as a whistle. It points like it's part of your hand and connected to your eyes. But I was still on the fence until I watched two videos of Hickok 45 on YouTube reviewing the PPQ. If you don't know, Hickok45 has some of the best videos out there in terms of seeing how guns function for real. He's a pretty amazing shot and he's got this shooting range set up at his house out in the country where manufacturers send him pretty much anything they have because they know he's going to be honest and get them seen on line.

He basically says the PPQ is the most undervalued gun out there. For him to keep saying, "Man, this trigger is great" over and over again while he's shooting gongs way way out in the distance and picking metal targets and water-filled soda bottles off all around him one after another. It made the decision for me. And the Walther PPQ is covered by a lifetime warranty. Some of the Walther guns aren't, but the PPQ is, or at least that's my understanding.

Check out the Hickok45 reviews here:

Part 1: Walther PPQ - YouTube
Second look: Walther PPQ Chapter 2 - YouTube

Still, there's a lot of great guns out there. But since you just had a good feeling about the PPQ right off, I wouldn't discount that. It's often the best measure of what's right for you.

Idea: Ruger Mark III Target in 6" barrel or so. Great home defense gun with .22 hollow points. Cheap to feed.

+1 for getting a .22LR pistol. I would get a Browning Buck Mark, MSRP $380

and add a CZ-82 in 9x18 Makarov for $220

For $600 you will have two pistols instead of one. The Buck Mark will allow for lots of cheap practice, the CZ-82 is small enough for concealed carry.

I went back and I missed the part where you said you were buying the gun for home defense. I still vote heads up for the Walther PPQ. Other guns in the 9mm range and up would be ok as well. But I personally wouldn't buy a 22LR pistol as a home defense gun or as a carry pistol. Neither of the .22lr suggestions above would be a great carry weapon anyway. I'm not a caliber-snob, but simple physics means that, even with hollow points, a 22lr pistol just doesn't generate the energy to reliably stop someone who's hell bent on invading your home or doing you serious injury, unless you get a lucky shot to the head (zombies beware). 22 Magnum rounds (22 WMR) are better, since they have really high velocity which means greater force with the same light 22 bullet (40 grain max), but even so the wound path it inflicts is narrow. And 22 Magnum semi-autos are rare (Kel Tek PMR-30 is one that holds 30 rounds, if you can get it to actually fire them...still in growing stages). Plus, the Mark III only has a 10-rounds of 22lr available while most even moderate capacity 9mm semi-autos have that many or more. I think the PPQ holds 15+1 9mm and 12+1 .40 S&W if you get that version, which you should at least consider if home defense is in the picture. The CZ 82 is actually a nice gun, but it's a 9x18 round which isn't as powerful or easy to come by as the more common 9mm luger rounds which are 9x19 and readily available. If you're thinking home self defense, a modern 9mm or higher caliber gun like the PPQ is going to come with a rail for a light or laser or combo (heck, you can even buy bayonets for the things), superb handling characteristics, drift adjustable sights at a minimum, and the possibility for night sights if not already installed. A good 9mm loaded with some of the non +p self defense loads (Hornady Critical Defense is a simply great round with excellent stopping power) or +p rounds (gotta practice with those to manage them right) offers you a realistic chance of coming out of a bad situation alive.

I'd also put in a pitch for the Smith and Wesson M&P semi-autos. They're exceptionally reliable, accurate, ergonomic and downright nice looking guns that come in a variety of configurations (with external safety, without external safety, with magazine disconnect safety, without magazine disconnect safety, etc) and have a host of accessories for them, more all the time. The nice thing is they're high-capacity guns with easily adjusted backstraps (like the PPQ) that fit the hand exceptionally well. My home defense gun is a full-size S&W M&P .45 that holds big old fat rounds and shoots like a dream. But if I were you I'd consider getting an M&P .40 S&W and then buy a 9mm conversion barrel from Storm Lake or other manufacturer. It lets you have a high-powered .40 S&W home defense gun that you can convert in maybe 1 minute to a 9mm gun (field strip it, take out .40 S&W barrel, put in 9mm barrel, reassemble, go shoot) to go to the range with. Less money to shoot for fun, still a heavy hitter for home defense. You can pick up a new M&P .40 compact or full-size for $475-500 and then get the conversion barrel for about $125-135. The only expense on top of that would be at least one new 9mm magazine for it. It takes both .40 and 9mm mags interchangeably. Lifetime warranty, exceptional S&W service, what's to argue here?

Finally (yes, there's an end here), If that's a bit much for you, another excellent option that some people (mostly those who haven't owned them) discount, but that are exceptionally reliable guns with a great lifetime warranty and good customer service are the semi-autos made by Bersa (Argentina). I've had a Bersa .40 semi-compact that was as reliable a gun as I've ever had. Fun to shoot, too. The Bersa Thunder .380 or the new concealed carry version of it (Bersa 380CC) are by pretty much everyone's account the most under-appreciated guns yet truly reliable carry weapons around (essentially Walther PPK clones for way cheaper). My everyday carry is actually a brand new Bersa, their first polymer gun, the 9mm Bersa BP9CC . Amazing little pistol, but I got lucky and got one. They're just trickling into the country now and you'd be lucky to find one anywhere. They're .94" wide, 21 ounces and hold 8+1 9mm rounds. But you can get a Bersa 380CC Concealed Carry .380 for $285-300 if you look, although if I were you and wanted both a home defense and carry piece I'd go with a 9mm. You can get a full-sized alloy frame/steel slide Bersa Thunder Pro in 9mm (17+1) or .40 S&W (13+1) with polygonal rifling (like Glocks) online at Budsgunshop.com (free shipping) for $408-426. Check them out at Bersa.

Have fun. But all in all I sure am foaming at the mouth for my Walther PPQ.

The Glock 19 is a great gun. That being said, I just sold mine and picked up a Walther PPQ and couldn't be happier with it. I didn't have any complaints with the Glock with the Walther just feels so much better in my hand and the trigger is amazing.

.22 pistols are great for first guns and they are cheap to shoot but I would never recommend them for self defense for several good reasons. The best home defense gun is a short 12 GA pump or auto shotgun loaded with buckshot

Handle and if possible rent the guns you are interested in at a range before buying.. the 9MM is a good first centerfire caliber and can do the self defense job.. and is cheap to shoot

Note if you do get a Glock you can buy a .22 lr conversion kit for $200 new

Walther PPQ is getting good reviews on it, people love the trigger on it. Glock 19 is small enough to carry and has quite a track record for reliability. Plus parts and accessories are bountiful. I can't recommend XD or M&P; they havent been on the market as long as the glocks. Also, look into a SIG SP2022.

Thanks for all good advice! Well it looks like after reading the suggestions it's between the PPQ and G19. Would really like to find a local range where I could rent these two to fire side by side before decide. Thanks again guys.

.22 pistols are great for first guns and they are cheap to shoot but I would never recommend them for self defense for several good reasons. The best home defense gun is a short 12 GA pump or auto shotgun loaded with buckshot
+1

You want to purchase your first pistol, and have something to protect yourself and your family at home?

Easy answer;
EVERY persons first pistol (IMO) should be a .22 revolver. It works EVERY time, it is uber cheap to shoot... hence you CAN shoot it a ton. Practice, practice, practice. That's what you need. Besides, a firearm that you can afford to shoot a lot is far more fun than one that hurts the pocketbook. Once you're used to it.. then move up to a semi-auto and a larger caliber.

For home defense? Nothing is better than a 12 guage shotgun. You can protect your family without much worry of shooting someone thru the wall. Snag a Mossberg just about anywhere. Inexpensive, and very effective.

I too would say G19. It is the AK of pistols in my opinion and you can have a 33 round capacity should you need it. I have owned the XDs and MPs and in my opinion again, the triggers are better when compared to a Glock trigger but I still love my Glock's trigger. I would not pay over $500 for a Glock. You can get them cheaper using the LEO discount but not a lot of places offer the factory LEO discount and a lot of people don't qualify for the LEO discount (smith and wesson has a LEO discount as well FYI). I called Keith's gun shop last week and they told me they were out on Glocks and didn't know when more Glocks would be coming in.
XDs are great but they are heavy when you compare them to a Glock. From what I have gathered the M&Ps are running against the Glocks trying to get a share of the Glock's business lol. The trigger reset on a M&P is not as good as a Glock (google trigger reset if you don't know what it is).
Most of the time I buy my guns from bud's guns (I will share the link at the bottom) and they provide LEO discount as well.... and free shipping. If possible get night sites but it's not a huge deal to have night sights.... for home defense a good light (weapon mounted lights are better IMO) would be a better choice over night sights.... you have to be able to ID your target before using deadly force.
If you get a Glock, I like the Gen4 Glocks..... there were some issues with the G19 Gen4 when they first came out but Glock has fixed it, if you end up getting a Gen4 G19 and you wanna be on the safe side, you can call the Glock RSA team (recoil spring assembly) and give them your serial number and if your pistol needs it, they will send you a new RSA.

Good luck!

Discount Guns for Sale - Buds Gun Shop

+1

You want to purchase your first pistol, and have something to protect yourself and your family at home?

Easy answer;
EVERY persons first pistol (IMO) should be a .22 revolver. It works EVERY time, it is uber cheap to shoot... hence you CAN shoot it a ton. Practice, practice, practice. That's what you need. Besides, a firearm that you can afford to shoot a lot is far more fun than one that hurts the pocketbook. Once you're used to it.. then move up to a semi-auto and a larger caliber.

For home defense? Nothing is better than a 12 guage shotgun. You can protect your family without much worry of shooting someone thru the wall. Snag a Mossberg just about anywhere. Inexpensive, and very effective.

I personally wouldn't depend on a rimfire to protect my life with. But it is fun to shoot and plink with.

One other point i forgot to mention is night sights and a weapon mounted light(to identify your target) for HD. Night sights are really great for HD, because you can quickly find your handgun in the dark.
While the weapon mounted lights are not so great for CC, the night sights are and well worth the little bit extra they cost.

M67

As you can see I am a G19 fan but it does not fit everyone's hand as it has a different grip angle and is blocky. The XD/XDM and the M&P seem to fit more folks hands than the Glock and are just as good a gun

The PPQ and PPS are both well made firearms as well but I found it is harder to find very many concealed holster for them unless it is a special built.

You will find more after market stuff for the XD, M&P and Glock than the Walters but that only makes a difference if you plan on changing things.

One of my G19s with an old school Glock flashlight with adjustable beam.

DSC_0088.jpg

+1

Easy answer;

Well the 12 GA can fully penetrate as many walls as most centerfire pistols, BUT it is also the most devastating close range manstopper we have in the current civilian arsenal

As far as Glocks if this life long gunner is any indication, my gal and I have new matching G23 40 calibers, they are the G19 sized 40 caliber versions and they have differential night sights (amber rears) and Procyon strobe lights

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top