JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought my first Mosin Nagant -- a 91/30 from 1932.

I read a lot and disassembled the rifle and cleaned and cleaned. metal parts were cleaned with mineral spirits and brake cleaner and oiled. Anyway, I was just reassembling and trying to put the bolt in. The trigger has no tension -- it just flops. I did not disassemble the trigger assembly. The trigger had tension when I disassembled to get the bolt off.

Any idea what I am doing wrong, or is wrong?

I am new to all this so I'm hoping it is something simple.

EDIT. I was playing with it and the bolt slid right in without depressing the trigger. Now I can't get it back out because there is still no tension on the trigger. Duh! Grrrr.... hope I don't have to get at the bolt holding the trigger assembly in the sock because the bolt is blocking it now.

Is the bolt cocked , try uncocking bolt. Deprees trigger and try to remove.

I got the bolt out while decocked. But did not have to press the trigger. I just wiggled the bolt a bit and the bolt came out.:confused:

The trigger still just flops around. So my basic problem remains. But thanks for the help. Noobe's ask the best questions, right? :s0131:

I followed those instructions and read other TRAINSKTG. I never took the trigger assembly apart. Just let it soak in mineral spirits a while, dried over night and reassembled. the entire magazine/trigger assembly. I did take out the drop plate/spring from the magazine and cleand and put a bit of oil in there.

Thanks for the help guys. Could the sear break just from handling the unit?

I appologize trainsekg, I did not follow THAT set of disassembly instructions. I went with less of a breakdown and left the trigger and triggerguard alone. Looks complicated and I am not mechanically inclined.

Last Edited:
Alright, I guess the only thing to do is pull the trigger assembly apart and see if the sear or something else is broken, then reassemble. Wish me luck. Between the link trains gave me and the 7.62x54r website disassembly instruction page we'll see if I only have two thumbs today.

Well there's your problem! I followed the pictorial breakdown instructions (amazing how easier it was today after all the cleaning and conditioning of steel and wood).

I get to the part where it says to take out the trigger pin. Hmmmm.... what pin?

I go back to the workspace I was using yesterday and today in the backyard and there on the tarp is one small rod. Inserted into the trigger and voila! One happy Mosin owner. Thanks for all your help guys, if you hadn't made me think down that train of thought I'd still be scratching my head.

Now to check the headspace and fire up this puppy.

Ha ha! Glad it worked out for you :) . This is the best way to learn your rifles. Any ideas how long it took me to reassemble my first Mosin bolt... :s0114: ?

In answer to one of your previous questions, I had a sear on a M39 mysteriously break sometime between the last shot of the day on the range and the return trip home, as the trigger was flopping around when I took the rifle out of the case to clean. Fortunate that it happened when it did, as I was extolling the superiority of the Finn Mosin to other rangegoers by placing 5 well placed shots in under 3" at 100 yards from a prone, unsupported position. Imagine if it had broken then!

Keith

Ha ha! Glad it worked out for you :) . This is the best way to learn your rifles. Any ideas how long it took me to reassemble my first Mosin bolt... :s0114: ?

Thank God for youtube and this forum's members is all I have to say! :s0155:

I was extolling the superiority of the Finn Mosin to other rangegoers by placing 5 well placed shots in under 3" at 100 yards from a prone, unsupported position....
Keith

I thought Finn Mosin's shot MOA at 500 yards and wiped themselves down after
from what I hear owners tell. :s0112:

Well, in defense of the poor rifle, I shoot from my non-dominant side using only various surplus ammuntion. In the hands of someone using quality ammo who can actually shoot, I expect it would do much better ;) .

Keith

It took me two hours to total stripping my mosin m44 after i got. But I spend about 10 hours on mosin.net and 7.62x54R.net before i bought the gun so i was very prepped.

and Mister " What's a trigger pin". enjoy that gun. I love mine.
BTW it is the russian M-44 thats wipes it self down after shooing, and it fires single hole 5 shot groups at a 200 meters (point blank) using surplus ammo and me only thinking about pulling the trigger.. (It is 4 am and yes I am having a wild dream), but look up the meaning of point blanc. It is likely not what you think.

Last Edited:
MarkAd: It wasn't the breakdown that took very long, lol.

I shot it for the first time last evening. I didn't have much room, but I just wanted to check the action. At 25 yards or so I was hitting a can easy enough. The action was horrible. Not one round would load into the receiver from the magazine. Half the hand loaded rounds loaded rough, on the others the bolt wouldn't go all the way over.

Short version: broke it down, cleaned it, read more on the usual sites. Bent the extractor back a bit so it was flush and shells sat flat against the bolt face. Still no love. Head space and firing pin specs double checked and OK. Then put a 12 Gage brass brush on a gun rod and chucked it into a drill. Some slow spinning with CLP and (after ruining the brush) tried a round. Stiff but went in by hand. More tweaking and by 30 hand-feeds it was smoother. So I put in stripper clips and the action kept easing up until the last couple stripper clips full went in the magazine and fed normally and extracted normally. I'm a gunsmith! HA-HA

Wish my gun had zero MOA and cleaned itself, but she does whisper to me. I woke up this morning and the rifle was just sitting there, but coffee was brewing. ;-)

Thank God for youtube and this forum's members is all I have to say! :s0155:

I thought Finn Mosin's shot MOA at 500 yards and wiped themselves down after
from what I hear owners tell. :s0112:

If it weren't for the interwebz I wouldn't know what I'm doing half the time with disassembly

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top