JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Fellow handloaders,

a good buddy of mines grandfather passed and left him some .308 150gr winchester silvertips (original silvertips,NOT ballistic silvertips) of which he gave to me knowing i am a handloader and figured i could use them. i am a long time hunter as is my friend, his grandfather and dad started him hunting as a boy and as his friend in good spirit and sportsmanship i would like to load these for him so that a piece of his grandfather can be with him when he hunts. i am loading them mainly in .308 winchester. i can load them for 30-06 sprg. too. my question is: i cannot find any load data on these bullets in particular. mainly COL is what i am most concered about. they have two cannelures on them and i figured i would seat them in between? any advice would be much appreciated.

so far this is what i have for 308win
.308 win silvertip
federal LR primer
46GR BLC-2
COL: 2.610"

^^this COL was achieved by seating the bullets in between the cannelures. i just dont want an over pressure

image.jpg

When I'm looking for "generic" data on stuff, I pick up my Lyman manual.
They list COL for a 150gr SP at 2.685. My hunch is if you go for that COL you'll end up in the rear cannelure.
Lyman also lists 45gr of BLC-2 as a starting load, with 49gr max.
Are these for hunting? If so, I'd only load a few at 46gr to check things out and would work up some. My hunch is that you'll end up closer to max getting these bullets up to speed.

I would seat them at the cannelure that would make them the longest.
Then check the overall length is within specs. for a 150 grain bullet.
The closer you seat the bullet to the rifling the more accurate it will be.
And usually less pressure. IMHO

Not having an old Nosler manual and not wanting to sleuth the web for said data, I'd call Nosler and ask what the original factory oal was. You want these loads to function through all rifles so I'd go with original loading length.

yes these loads will be for hunting. im going to do a few test loads and play around with it a little bit if needed. i really appreciate the advice, guys. thank you.

Nosler books from 4 on, list the COL on all bullets as SAMMI spec of 2.810. They do not show the Win Silver tips specifically though and they do not list BLC2 powder either. Interestingly though they do talk about it in the prelude write up, just not listed in the powder section.
The Hodgdon manual lists Nosler 150 BT's (did not specifically call out the Silver Tips) at 2.800 COL. with BLC2 powder in the 45.0 to 48.0 range.
Lee lists "150 grain jacketed bullets" with the 2.810 COL and BLC2 at 45.0 to 48.0 also.

Nosler #5

states maximum SAAMI overall cartridge length 2.810" So that must be what they load for there book.
thanks, my #7 says the same thing. these bullets are a lot shorter than the ballistic tip or even ballistic silvertip. they are winchester silvertips and have a flat nose so the COL will be a lot shorter than that of a ballistic silvertip. at 2.810 the winchesters are barely seated into the case

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top