JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Hey all, new here. My family has really gotten into guns and hunting lately. I'm 35 and was convicted of burglary at age 18. It's my only felony and was non violent with no weapons or anything like that, I made a mistake and have lived a good life ever since. I read in Oregon that you can have your rights restored after 15 years. Can anyone co firm or help explain this law? I'd love to be able to legally participate again. Thanks

Good place to start reading.
Thank you. Here is the quote I keep running into, and also very similar on the atf site. Firearms rights are automatically restored 15 years after discharge from sentence to persons convicted of no more than one felony, unless the offense involved criminal homicide or use of a gun or knife. ... Otherwise firearms rights are restored by pardon or expungement.

I'm in Arizona & had my gun rights restored years ago, cost me $850. These guys say they'll do it for you for $1,750

Oregon doesn't allow expungement of class a felony, which is unfortunately what they consider burglary to be. I stole a playstation at 17 and was convicted at 18. That's it... Sonic was hoping there was another way to get my rights back. I found that law about 15 years but I'm not sure I understand it correctly. Another option is pardon but I'm in Portland Kate brown will never give gun rights back

I can't have a class a felony expunged in Oregon though?

Good luck man. I'm not sure they even arrest people in the tri-county area for burglary anymore? :rolleyes: Well, maybe parts of Clackamas county. Hard to believe someone doing a stupid thing when they were only 18 would take sooo much effort and $$ to have removed from their record. And to think, they want to lower the voting age to 16. :s0125:

Good luck man. I'm not sure they even arrest people in the tri-county area for burglary anymore? :rolleyes: Well, maybe parts of Clackamas county. Hard to believe someone doing a stupid thing when they were only 18 would take sooo much effort and $$ to have removed from their record. And to think, they want to lower the voting age to 16. :s0125:
I fully own my mistakes and have out in the work to be a better contributing member of society. I went back to school, graduated with honors, and have held down multiple jobs. Currently facing my 2nd battle with cancer in 10 years. I'm trying to get my rights back because my family might be headed out if state and I'd like to hunt.
Nobody seems to be able to answer this law for me though : Firearms rights are automatically restored 15 years after discharge from sentence to persons convicted of no more than one felony, unless the offense involved criminal homicide or use of a gun or knife. ... Otherwise firearms rights are restored by pardon or expungement.

I fully own my mistakes and have out in the work to be a better contributing member of society. I went back to school, graduated with honors, and have held down multiple jobs. Currently facing my 2nd battle with cancer in 10 years. I'm trying to get my rights back because my family might be headed out if state and I'd like to hunt.
Nobody seems to be able to answer this law for me though : Firearms rights are automatically restored 15 years after discharge from sentence to persons convicted of no more than one felony, unless the offense involved criminal homicide or use of a gun or knife. ... Otherwise firearms rights are restored by pardon or expungement.

Why not go ahead & put that 15 year automatic restoration to the test & fill out the 4473 form at a gun dealer? I will tell you right now, as a former felon with priors who's had his rights restored twice now that if you answer Yes to having committed a crime on the form, you will be denied. I just did a renewal on my AZ CCW & they asked the same question. For some reason I am forced to lie on every form otherwise I will be denied...

Why not go ahead & put that 15 year automatic restoration to the test & fill out the 4473 form at a gun dealer? I will tell you right now, as a former felon with priors who's had his rights restored twice now that if you answer Yes to having committed a crime on the form, you will be denied. I just did a renewal on my AZ CCW & they asked the same question. For some reason I am forced to lie on every form otherwise I will be denied...
I basically just want to be able to have a hunting rifle in the truck don't even care about handguns at the moment. I could easily obtain firearms right now I'm just concerned if I was ever stopped I'd be arrested for felon in possession of firearm. I want to do this the right way and legally and be a responsible gun owner.

Are you saying I can go fill out an application to test if I can buy a gun as long as I don't disclose the felony? Can that in itself get me in trouble? I'm very interested

Get
Why not go ahead & put that 15 year automatic restoration to the test & fill out the 4473 form at a gun dealer?

Are you saying I can go fill out an application to test if I can buy a gun as long as I don't disclose the felony? Can that in itself get me in trouble? I'm very interested

Do not do this you will get a visit from OSP, get a lawyer. And the issue of 15 years does not apply federally so no you do not automatically get your firearms rights back after 15 years. I must emphasize again get a lawyer internet forums are not a great source for this info.

Get

Do not do this you will get a visit from OSP, get a lawyer. And the issue of 15 years does not apply federally so no you do not automatically get your firearms rights back after 15 years. I must emphasize again get a lawyer internet forums are not a great source for this info.
I thought so, and believe me I won't be attempting to purchase a firearm until I'm legally allowed. My understanding so far is to federally regain rights I must deal with the felony in which it occurred. Oregon doesn't allow for the expungement or downgrade of a class a felony no matter what. So if I can't get rights back I'm screwed I guess?

I thought so, and believe me I won't be attempting to purchase a firearm until I'm legally allowed. My understanding so far is to federally regain rights I must deal with the felony in which it occurred. Oregon doesn't allow for the expungement or downgrade of a class a felony no matter what. So if I can't get rights back I'm screwed I guess?

Again only a lawyer can answer your questions. If all else fails their are other avenues to allow you to hunt such as archery and Black Powder/Muzzleloading (I dont know the laws for Oregon but some states allow felons to poses and hunt with BP weapons).

Again only a lawyer can answer your questions. If all else fails their are other avenues to allow you to hunt such as archery and Black Powder/Muzzleloading (I dont know the laws for Oregon but some states allow felons to poses and hunt with BP weapons).
That's good to know, thanks I may be headed for South Dakota soon I'll have to look into there laws as well

Firearms rights are automatically restored 15 years after discharge from sentence to persons convicted of no more than one felony, unless the offense involved criminal homicide or use of a gun or knife. ... Otherwise firearms rights are restored by pardon or expungement.
That reads like a quote, but from what? There's no citation.

What l can tell you definitively is that nothing in the legal system happens "automatically", at least not as pertains to relief for defendants. You're going to have to pursue it aggressively.

I also know that any crime punishABLE by <12 mos imprisonment, regardless of the actual sentence handed down, is a disqualifier with regards to Form 4473.

I wish you luck sir, it seems like you deserve and could use it. We just had a member admit to committing (possibly) multiple felonies on an open and public forum. Don't do that.

@Stillnotknown

The best advice has been given multiple times. You need to consult an attorney that specializes in Oregon gun rights and has an understanding of federal laws. It's a complicated mess in front of you.

You live in Oregon, therefore Oregon has to recognize your right to own firearms. This may be simply covered by the 15 year statute that you brought up. But does that also extend to federal level?

The way I understand federal law is that all felons are prohibited unless and until the state the took the right away have restored it. That could be interpreted as that if you were stopped with a rifle in your truck then you wouldn't be prosecuted under state law, but still vulnerable under federal law. Or it might be that since Oregon removed your rights and then automatically reinstated then you are fine.

The best answer is going to come from a lawyer.

I would not suggest you just test it as intentionally lying on those forms is a crime. Yes, it does have the felony/dv conviction questions but the form also instructs you to mark No of you've had your rights restored. If you don't know with absolute certainty that you have through advice from a lawyer then you could be vulnerable to prosecution.

My understanding as a Washington resident is that Oregon does provide a pathway to restoration without pardon. So I would assume that a lawyer can help you navigate that process.

Finally, I would caution you to take great care with traveling or moving to other states. This includes calling lawyers in other states before going. Every state has their own restoration laws and differs when they recognize restoration from another state.

I have a friend that I know personally who has had firearms restoration in Washington, owns guns, has a cpl. Federally allowed with no issues. But they cannot get a chl in Oregon or bring a gun into Oregon because Oregon does not recognize the restoration. Idaho, on the other hand, does recognize it.

Lawyer up.

I'm not a lawyer, never played one on tv.

That reads like a quote, but from what? There's no citation.

What l can tell you definitively is that nothing in the legal system happens "automatically", at least not as pertains to relief for defendants. You're going to have to pursue it aggressively.

I also know that any crime punishABLE by <12 mos imprisonment, regardless of the actual sentence handed down.

I wish you luck sir, it seems like you deserve and could use it. We just had a member admit to committing (possibly) multiple felonies on an open and public forum. Don't do that.

This is the site and here are the law codes"This Section does not apply to any person who has been... Convicted of only one felony under the law of this state or any other state, or who has been convicted of only one felony under the laws of the United States, which felony did not involve criminal homicide, as defined in ORS 163.005, or the possession or use of a firearm or a weapon having a blade that projects or swings into position by force of a spring or by centrifugal force, and who has been discharged from imprisonment, parole or probation for said offense for a period of 15 years prior to the date of alleged violation..."

@Stillnotknown

The best advice has been given multiple times. You need to consult an attorney that specializes in Oregon gun rights and has an understanding of federal laws. It's a complicated mess in front of you.

You live in Oregon, therefore Oregon has to recognize your right to own firearms. This may be simply covered by the 15 year statute that you brought up. But does that also extend to federal level?

The way I understand federal law is that all felons are prohibited unless and until the state the took the right away have restored it. That could be interpreted as that if you were stopped with a rifle in your truck then you wouldn't be prosecuted under state law, but still vulnerable under federal law. Or it might be that since Oregon removed your rights and then automatically reinstated then you are fine.

The best answer is going to come from a lawyer.

I would not suggest you just test it as intentionally lying on those forms is a crime. Yes, it does have the felony/dv conviction questions but the form also instructs you to mark No of you've had your rights restored. If you don't know with absolute certainty that you have through advice from a lawyer then you could be vulnerable to prosecution.

My understanding as a Washington resident is that Oregon does provide a pathway to restoration without pardon. So I would assume that a lawyer can help you navigate that process.

Finally, I would caution you to take great care with traveling or moving to other states. This includes calling lawyers in other states before going. Every state has their own restoration laws and differs when they recognize restoration from another state.

I have a friend that I know personally who has had firearms restoration in Washington, owns guns, has a cpl. Federally allowed with no issues. But they cannot get a chl in Oregon or bring a gun into Oregon because Oregon does not recognize the restoration. Idaho, on the other hand, does recognize it.

Lawyer up.

I'm not a lawyer, never played one on tv.
Thanks

I hope I'm not discouraging you at all. I hope you decide to go forward and do everything you can to be made whole ... as much as you can be.

People make mistakes and learn from them. God knows I have. I also disagree that there should be any laws of "prohibited persons". If one is not safe to own a gun then why are they walking around in the streets. 2A does have an "except" in it.

Just trying to point out that your best avenue is through a lawyer.

And assuming the info you've provided is true and accurate (no reason not to believe you) then I have confidence you will be rewarded with gun rights being restored.

South Dakota is a constitutional carry state incidentally. So if you have the federal aspect covered then I would expect no difficulties there.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads