JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
need some help. 93 toyota 4x4 manual v6 all stock. was driving home the other day and the the truck just stalled coming to a stop cranked it but it wouldnt fire pulled and put back in the key it started again but only for a minute then died again and now will not start cranks fine can hear fuel pump but doesnt even sputter. cranked it over for a bit then checked a plug and no sign of being wet just white which i believe is from running lean. checked the fuel filter and replaced checked fuel at the rail and it is getting to the injectors just not past. test light lit up touching the injector wires while cranking motor. at i huge loss on how or what aside from maybe fuel computer which i dont know how to test. not check light either. appears fuel related vs spark but need help as this is the wifes vehicle and need it running because both need running cars because of child. any ideas or help is much appreciated, will gladley provide beers or food if you think you can fix it.

Ross

If you think its fuel related, spray some brake cleaner or starting fluid in the intake while cranking. Try not to hose down your mass air flow sensor. If the engine fires you know your not getting fuel. Next step would be to check fuel pressure. You will need a gauge and the proper adapters.

fuel filter was changed and the fuel rail is getting pressurized just dont know how much but was enough to spray when checking to see if it had fuel to it. being a v6 dont know if starter fluid will get down to the cylinders will try though

If you think its fuel related, spray some brake cleaner or starting fluid in the intake while cranking. Try not to hose down your mass air flow sensor. If the engine fires you know your not getting fuel. Next step would be to check fuel pressure. You will need a gauge and the proper adapters.

spray starting fluid on a rag and hold it to the air intake if engine starts you can remove the rag (lot less chances of launching a head)

Check your EFI relay, it's under the hood on the driver's side IIRC. I'm not positive but I think you also have a EFI fuse in the fuse box in the drivers side kick panel, sorry it's been awhile since I owned my 3.0 runner so everything is a little foggy on where it's at. Your symptoms sound like ones I was having but it was with a 22re- hope this helps and that its not the T-belt.~Jason

Check your EFI relay, it's under the hood on the driver's side IIRC. I'm not positive but I think you also have a EFI fuse in the fuse box in the drivers side kick panel, sorry it's been awhile since I owned my 3.0 runner so everything is a little foggy on where it's at. Your symptoms sound like ones I was having but it was with a 22re- hope this helps and that its not the T-belt.~Jason

will try to find that efi relay all others looked fine when checked yesterday. the more i read the more it sounds injectors not squirting.

neutral start switch i dont think because wouldnt crank at all i believe

Check for spark at plugs?

Check all grounds especially in engine bay due to recent head work. Bad ground will cause injectors to not fire correctly, also check grounds inside front kick panels near all relays.

A white spark plug is normal for a fuel injected motor.

Power at the fuel injector doesn't mean they are getting the signal to open. Most fuel injectors use a negative trigger. A test light isn't the proper way to test an injector. Since the vehicle isn't even sputtering when you crank it, it would have to be all of the injectors not squirting. That would be a problem with signal getting to them, not the actual injectors.

Are you sure there isn't fuel getting to the combustion chamber? The spark plug may not be wet by the time you can get it removed from the motor. Fuel evapoarates fairly quickly.

You need to verify that you have spark to rule that out. It doesn't hurt to check all the grounds in your electrical system as well. A loose or corroded ground can cause a major headache as you attemp to chase a problem in another area.

cap and rotor were worn so getting replaced tonight. as for fuel there is not even the smell of fuel after cranking for 30 seconds and pulling the plug hard to test for spark by yourself so hoping for this and cant find any loose corroded connections or issues with relays

cap and rotor replaced, still unable to confirm spark on my own but no change to symptoms. fuel pump runs no smell of fuel from the cylinders no sputtering even rotor in distro turns...... no signs of loose wires or relay issues need an easy way to pull an injector or at least tell if its being told to fire

cap and rotor replaced, still unable to confirm spark on my own but no change to symptoms. fuel pump runs no smell of fuel from the cylinders no sputtering even rotor in distro turns...... no signs of loose wires or relay issues need an easy way to pull an injector or at least tell if its being told to fire

I would pick up a remote start switch, or make one yourself. Harbor Freight has them for a couple of bucks. I would make sure of spark first since it doesn't even sputter. I have several 22re rigs, and I have lost coil/igniters a few times. I would veryfy the spark before I went any further.

Does the fuel pump keep running, or does it pressurize then shut off?

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top