JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I got a new ar upper assemblied by Curts Discount shooting supply.
*Anderson Upper
*Fail Zero nickel boron BCG
*Odin 18in .223wylde barrel mid length
*Odin gas tube and gas block
*A2 bird cage
*Am Tac 15in free float rail

Lower is a spikes tactical with a ST-T2 buffer and geiselle ssa trigger

I finally got to shoot it today and it kept have FTEs (mainly) and sometimes some FTFs.

In order of most occurrences
Empty case is only 1 inch extracted from the chamber
Bolt did not move but round was fired
Bolt cycled ejecting the spent case but failed to strip a round from the mag, chamber is empty
Bolt failed to have enough momentum to strip or fully strip a round from mag
Spent casing stuck on the lugs of the barrel

Got me confused. I've tried switching to the M16 BCG from my 14.5in med length upper and running the nickel boron in the 14.5 and the M16 in the 18in but still problem occurs and the 14.5 had no problems.

I have over 25 P mags 30rd both gen 2 and 3. 1 20rd gen 3, 1 40rd gen 3, 1 tavor mag (caa), and 10 Blackhawk! 30rd gi mags.

Using M855 green tip brass 5.56 62gr, 62 and 55grain wolf steel case .223, Fiochi 62gr 5.56 brass, PMC .223 55grain brass.

All rounds and mags did not work in my 18in ar but ran flawlessly through my 14.5 and my tavor.

I tried cleaning it after the first few mags and putting light lube, no different, tried extra lube, no difference, fired over 200rds no "break in" difference.

My conclusion is that the barrel wasn't installed properly, but I doubt that due to Curts reputation of excellence. Or the buffer is the improper weight.

Anyone else have any idea what it could be?

Also take a look at the gas port and ensure that it is the correct size for the your gas system (it look like .070 -.086 should be correct) if its smaller this would account for being under gassed if everything else is good.

I took the handguard off and the way I look at the Odin barrel and odin gas block, the gas block goes all the way back till it hits the step in the barrel so it goes on only one way. Took it to Curt's and they got it back to me today, the gas port was too small, so they drilled it out and test fired it and it worked fine after that

Thanks everyone. I hope it works flawlessly when I take it out this weekend
Your welcome! It could have been any of the listed items others suggested so I thought I would look father down the line of what it could have been. I'm glad you found out what you issue was... Now we need a range report and pictures!;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top