JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I recently purchased a carbine length upper in 5.56 as pictured below. I'm not very knowledgeable about what's available for ARs, so I'm looking for suggestions as to selecting rear sights. I have aging eyes which are not that good with iron sights anymore, so that's something to consider, but would like to maintain flexibility. Suggestions are welcome. Ideas?

Screen Shot 2021-05-04 at 12.25.48.png

Last Edited:
You have a plethora of options, from red dots to magnified scopes. Maybe tell us more what you are planning to do with this rifle.....hunt? Target shoot?

Be aware that if you have astigmatism, red dots may appear like a starburst, making them mostly unusable. True holographic and prism scopes can be an option if you have astigmatism. The Vortex 1x prism is a good option, and has an easy to acquire reticle
SUB-SPITFIRE-PRISM.jpg

At 300 yards I wouldn't recommend a red dot. At least one that isn't magnified.

I'd go with a quality scope from Leupold, Vortex or similar. If money is no option, you have more options.

So I have aging eyes too but do surprisingly well with open sights not quite sure how I am still grouping even though I can barely see the target even to the point of guessing where the center is lol. I think part of it just a habit of shooting a lot and just knowing where to aim.

My personal favorite optic is the LPVO 1-8 at this time my moods change like Oregon's weather though. There is one for just about any budget. If going super cheap like under $100 look at AIM products I had one and seriously it was not bad and decent reviews. I don't know how well it would hold up cause I did not have it long. Then there are the Primary arms SLX and Lower End Vortex Eagle many great reviews for these. I went with the Vortex Eagle even though I preferred the PA just because the Vorex is competing with Leupold for having the best optic warranty. I also had a Spikes Tactical Black widow 1-4 and dang that had some nice glass for the price. Out of the 3 it was my favorite as far as glass quality but only in a 1-4 and I wanted more! These are all really good and cost around 300-400 come with great warranties but still made in China.

Or bump to some really quality products and support fellow and Americans and go with US-made ones by Leupold, Trijicon etc. These are over $700 but Dang the glass is awesome. Your not just getting American craftmanship which just costs more but the quality of glass and being able to trust the reputation of the company gives me warm and fuzzies. Leupold has the better warranty but Trijicon glass is amazing I have heard people balk at their prices because they are a mil contractor but the glass is the best I have ever looked through in the field. Like my friend said when he looked through mine cause it was getting too dark for his scope to see anything was "How does it do that?".

You might look at the Bushnell options as well but not Made in the US that I know of maybe higher-end models I'm not sure. They have everything from low end to high end and I think they have rainguard which is the only reason I hunt with a Bushnell over a Trijicon

If you go with a red dot my go-to would either be a Sig Romeo 5 or Aimpoint. The Aimpoint being battle-tested and approved. But for under $150 the Sig Romeo 5 gets my vote It's probably pretty close to the durability and quality of the Aimpoint but ugh it's made in China.

Last Edited:
A magnified prism sight sounds like it might be a good choice.

A red dot is still likely the better choice.

For up to 300.

Easy to use red dot. Shake awake, solar, warranty.

KISS option.

For an iron rear you should look at the Daniel Defense:

or the original style carry handle like Uri-Ki suggests.

Factory Carry Handle Irons with matching front! Simple, effective, and easy to learn!
Aren't they all made in factories? LOL
So I have aging eyes too but do surprisingly well with open sights
or the original style carry handle like Uri-Ki suggests.

Thanks for all the suggestions. There is so much information to digest and evaluate. Guess I will start simple with the carry handle and see how I do. Then maybe transition to something mounted atop the carry handle later.

I do appreciate all the input. Your suggestions are a great starting point and I will be comparing and considering these options. Thanks again for the benefit of all your experience and knowledge.

You're gonna get a lot of opinions and options because there are just so many.

I prefer the 1-6x scopes. At 1x they are like a red dot with great eye relief. At 6x they allow you to engage targets at further distances with confidence.

So my .02 would be the primary arms ACSS Raptor 5.56/.308 FFP scope. The reticle is designed specifically for standard m193 ball ammunition and marked for bullet drop of that round. built in ranging for silhouette targets. and if the battery is dead it still works unlike a red dot.

You can also go expensive and get an acog or similar with a tritium reticle that will lose half of its brightness in about 12 years time.

My 5.56 with a ACSS Raptor 1-6x FFP on it (and dust caps)
556.jpg

Aren't they all made in factories? LOL

Thanks for all the suggestions. There is so much information to digest and evaluate. Guess I will start simple with the carry handle and see how I do. Then maybe transition to something mounted atop the carry handle later.

I do appreciate all the input. Your suggestions are a great starting point and I will be comparing and considering these options. Thanks again for the benefit of all your experience and knowledge.

Why? I mean no offense to the others that suggested it but why try that when you already said irons and your eyes don't play well.

Get an optic.

Why? I mean no offense to the others that suggested it but why try that when you already said irons and your eyes don't play well.

Get an optic.

^^^This

You have a fixed front sight; I would utilize it. What I would do is go with a Scalarworks Peak Rear sight and a Aimpoint T-1 Micro in 1/3 co-witness Scalarworks mount. That combination will keep you weapon sleek and light weight with great balance. The Micro Red dot is easy to pick up and you have a redundant backup sight ready to rock without the need to flip a rear. Aim, not dot, go to irons, boom, done.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top