Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Need help picking semi auto shotgun

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by NUCLEARMJ, Apr 14, 2011.

1. NUCLEARMJ

NUCLEARMJ Lafayette/Hillsboro Member

Im looking at getting a semi auto shotgun, im looking for something with high cap like 7 or 8 not a hunting gun. In my searching i've looked into the mossberg 930, the beretta tx4, and the fn herstal slp.

Your choices and opinions are highly appreciated, any leads on good deals are also appreciated. Thanks

2. Sawz

Sawz Aurora OR. Member

It may be hard to find right now, but I would look for a Saiga 12. With stick mags they go up to 12 rounds. With a drum you can have between 10, 12, 20, and 30 rounds. I was looking like you a while back and am very happy with my S12. I had a blast building it up from stock and it's an awesome shotty for fun and defense.

3. lmmmmm

lmmmmm Seattle Member

I have the SLP MK I with 22" barrel.

Fastest semi out there and holds 8+1.

4. NUCLEARMJ

not that im opposed to the saiga 12 belive i think its an awesome concept but now that there won't be anymore importing of it they've sky rocketed in price and im not paying 800 for a bone stock one.

Now lmmmmm, what do you think about having to switch out the pistons on your slp to go from light to heavy loads? I've done research on the slp and hands down it looks like an amazing shotgun, held one the other day and i love the way it feels and the sights are great but i don't like that you can't just shoot all sorts of different loads without changing pistons, i've been told its quick but still kind of an inconvinience thats making me think more about the mossberg 930

5. NUCLEARMJ

does anyone know if the mossberg will accept chokes right out of the box? mossberg sells accu chokes that are made for the 930 but i keep reading about people having to get there 930's threaded for chokes. Any help?

6. The Cheese

The Cheese somewhere special Member

what about the remington 11-87 and 1100? The safety is in a better spot for using a stock with a pistol grip vs the mossberg, which is a mandatory thing for my and my busted wrists. Plus there are a ton of aftermarket stuffs you can get for it if thats your thing. Also, I am not sure, but the beretta might be recoil operated like the old 1201's which means (so I am told) that they kick pretty bad. where as a gas gun tends to be a bit more of a pussy cat. But like I said, I am not sure on the beretta. Just something to think about.

7. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

Same here, it was the 2009 NRA shotgun of the year. I have customized mine with a holo sight, Nordic accessories (oversized bolt release and bolt handle) and a Tac Star Sidesaddle as well as a Procyon light and 3 point sling. It does not get much better. Here's the 18 inch version in action

YouTube - FN SLP Shotgun

A review:

FN SLP Mark I Semi-Auto 12 Gauge Shotgun

8. Blitzkrieg

I have the heavy piston in mine and it shoots light birdshot, buckshot and slugs perfectly. I have never used the light buffer

9. NUCLEARMJ

I have thought about the rem 1100 but i have two questions on that, do they come chokeable? and is it posible to add ghost ring sights? I don't like that the 1100 just comes with a bead sight, but if it were possible to add different sights inexpensively it might be worth it as i could get an 1100 for not much more than than mossberg but still less than the fnh

10. pdx225

pdx225 Hillsboro Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've got the 930 SPX, no complaints, switches between low and high power loads no problem. Went with it due to price, features, and reliability. Was also looking at the SLP, very similar weapon systems but I couldn't justify the the $400-$500 premium on them. As far as shotgun of the year in 2009, do a google search "2009 shotgun of the year." Seems like everyone and their mother has an opinion on the subject. Both the FN SLP and the 930 SPX were named shotgun of the year. =)

Mossberg Gun Named as Shotgun of the Year

Article

FN SLP named NRA "Shotgun of the Year" :: FN Forum.NET

Mad Ogre and Mixflip on youtube will also give you some additional insights into the weapon.

Also check out Mossberg 930 SPX Review If you haven't already.

11. Blitzkrieg

There's no confusion, really.. the SLP was the NRA's 2009 shotgun of the year

The Mossberg 930 SPX Autoloader Shotgun named as Shotgun of the Year by the Shooting Industry Academy of Excellence

So you pick whichever one you wanted. For me the FN reputation and my experience with FN quality were the deciding factors. I am not disappointed !

BTW the SLP puts slugs in the same area as the center of a blast of buckshot at 25 yards, IE right to point of aim. That's unusual in my experience

http://www.policemag.com/Channel/Weapons/News/2009/05/11/NRA-Names-FN-SLP-Shotgun-of-the-Year.aspx

12. pdx225

pdx225 Hillsboro Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

13. t.huynh

t.huynh vancouver, wa Active Member

I just got a 930 it works great.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

14. NUCLEARMJ

can anyone answer my question about chokes on the 930?

15. t.huynh

t.huynh vancouver, wa Active Member

My 930 came with 3 chokes out of the box. Some people were buying 28 inch barrels and cutting them down to 22 inch for 3 gun. that's probably where you heard them getting it threaded for chokes.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk

16. Skang

Skang WA Well-Known Member

beretta tx4 is not high cap / No mag extension can be mounted.

I am interested in Tx4 as well, it seems shoot very soft from the videos I have seen. Also have not seen on the market yet (In-person), so I am gonna wait little more till it gets reviewed.

Benelli M4 is great choice. You can full size magazine tube legally (922r), since there is company that makes U.S parts for it. But it can be expensive on already expensive gun.

SLP MK I with 22" barrel. (I did not like the grip, square feel)

17. toywin12

toywin12 Tacoma, Washington Member

I went through the same thing looking for that type of semi...930, SLP, M4...I ended up with a Benelli M2...18.5" barrel, 3 chokes, tube extension, ghost ring sights, and pistol grip stock. It's "inertia" driven, not gas. I have been very pleased with it.

18. SRB

SRB VANCOUVER Member

+1 on the benelli, wonderful piece of equipment..

19. turq

turq Molino,oregon Member

The new NRA rifleman has a "Best Of The Year" series and they reviewed and 'bought' the CZ ??? I didn't know they made a semi or maybe it was a pump shotgun.
    I could be wrong on the make. CZ?

20. Rammit

Rammit Bothel Member

SPAS 12. But for reliability I would opt for any Benelli, I have shot many and have not had one failure to cycle even with the cheapest ammo.