JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello gun enthusiasts. I currently only have a springfield armory xdm compact 9mm. I have narrow down to 3 9mm choices and funds are limited so I can't just buy all 3 and have to pick only 1:
  • Springfield Armory 1911 Range Officer (lifetime warranty), this will be my first 1911
  • CZ Shadow 2 (5-year warranty)
  • Walther PPQ Q5 Match (lifetime warranty)

What would you pick and why?

Thank you for your advice.

Last Edited:
CZ Shadow 2

Same caliber as your current gun (wasn't sure if you were looking at a 9mm 1911 or a 45ACP).

CZs are incredibly accurate and fun to shoot. Will be a nice high-accuracy gun since you already have a carry piece. I never consider warranty on guns since mine end up getting modified fairly soon after purchase in most cases.

CZ Shadow 2

Same caliber as your current gun (wasn't sure if you were looking at a 9mm 1911 or a 45ACP).

CZs are incredibly accurate and fun to shoot. Will be a nice high-accuracy gun since you already have a carry piece. I never consider warranty on guns since mine end up getting modified fairly soon after purchase in most cases.

Thank you updated to show I only looking into 9mm.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those three. But when I buy another 9mm pistol, it'll be a stainless P89.

Which of the three on your list do you shoot best?

If you can find someone (or several someones) who has the guns on your list, and will let you test drive them - do that. Or, there might be a range where you can rent the guns.

You can save a lot of time and money by trying out pistols before you buy.

Also, if you're planning to CC the gun, try them on while you're at the range.

Since you've already got a solid carry piece, if it were me I'd go for the 1911. Every gun owner should have one and they're a joy to shoot. But I'm addicted to 1911s so YMMV

That's easy then if it's in your budget...CZ Shadow 2 and don't look back. You wanna pistol that'll make you look like Jerry Miculek's secret love child, that's the one. It's that accurate.

I went to Oregon Arms and Ammunition which is 10mins from my house to look for the CZ Shadow 2 but they don't have one in stock. They do have the PPQ Q5 Steel Frame but I don't want to spend that much when I know I can get the Polymer for half price. This place is running out of stock and barely have anything in their cases. The nice gentleman behind the counter gave me a Canik TP9SFX and asked me to check out the trigger and man I felt in love with that and said "I'll take it". They're selling for $499 so I think it's a great price. Even if I have to sell it used later down the road for $300-$350 it's still okay imho. Now what sucks is I have to wait in line for the background check with 3500 people before me. I really want to check out my new toy now. :)

I've had the Springer RO 1911 in .45 A very nice handgun with one of the best stock triggers I have ever had. Like 0 creep that my Kimbers can't match. The park of course would scratch if you looked at it, but then its park.

5165492129-walther-q5-match-ppq-pistol_1.jpg

I had never seen the Walther PPQ Q5 Match before. What a cool gun. I'm also mostly Glock guy, but been interested in any Sigs with steel/alloy frame & red dot/ready. I'm going to have to add this PPQ to the list as well. As for the original question, I think all three were great choices.

5165492129-walther-q5-match-ppq-pistol_1.jpg

I had never seen the Walther PPQ Q5 Match before. What a cool gun. I'm also mostly Glock guy, but been interested in any Sigs with steel/alloy frame & red dot/ready. I'm going to have to add this PPQ to the list as well. As for the original question, I think all three were great choices.
I think that Walther looks good, but I'm hearing they fall short on performance. They are still a great gun, but not any different than the polymer version that costs half the amount

I wanted an all metal full size 9mm. I was looking at the Walther Q5sf pro and everything I read said the CZ Shadow 2 is way better at a considerable lower price. Being able to feel how it fits in your hand is a bonus, and when I was looking nobody had anything on the shelf. So buying before I even get to hold it I went with a CZ 75 sp01. I see a Shadow 2 in my future though. Not knowing what you plan to do with it makes it hard to give good advice, except to go try them all first.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top