JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Skip the SA & buy the PPQ or the CZ.
The PPQ trigger is better than Shadow, but the PPQ has that wonky *stepped* chamber that leaves a little small ring on the case mouth for some crazy German reason. The PPQ is striker fired.
The CZ operates like the SA in single action mode but can also be double action. Bonus the CZ's 2nd strike feature.
If it's a tie, let the additional magazine costs be your guide.

Skip the SA & buy the PPQ or the CZ.
The PPQ trigger is better than Shadow, but the PPQ has that wonky *stepped* chamber that leaves a little small ring on the case mouth for some crazy German reason. The PPQ is striker fired.
The CZ operates like the SA in single action mode but can also be double action. Bonus the CZ's 2nd strike feature.
If it's a tie, let the additional magazine costs be your guide.

I sold my PPQ a couple of weeks ago- the trigger is good for a striker fired gun, but i would say you're stretching to say it's better than the Shadows SA..
I sold the PPQ because it was "flippy"compared to my Steyr, M&P, VP9 etc. Accuracy was very good, but it just wasn't as nice to shoot.
If you're thinking about the Shadow, have a look at the CZP 07/9. Whilst not as refined ( but much lighter), the P09 is a great gun. Stock trigger is Ok and can be improved with either the expensive CGW springs or the cheap, but very good M-Carbo springs. If you want all metal, cant say much bad about the CZ75.
If you're still looking at the Walther, take a serious look at the Canik line- frames are, depending who you believe, made by Walther, and they have great features at a very reasonable price.

I have a shedload of 1911's. I like them, but for all the wrong, romantisized reasons. I shoot them very well and I've been blessed with problem free examples. that said, for an everyday gun CZ.

Mec-Gar makes CZ mags- they are cheap n cheerful from CDNN.

I'd go with the Shadow 2. Love mine. A friend has a Range Officer 9mm. It's nice, but if I was prepared to pay the price of admission for the CZ and wanted a 1911, I prefer my Dan Wesson Pointman 9 over the Range Officer.

I have owned a couple striker fired guns (glocks) in the past, and currently have a CZ P10 which I like for what it is, but I prefer a hammer fired, steel gun for range use. Have a CZ P09 with Cajun upgrades. Hammer fired but polymer frame, sorta splits the difference. Shoots good too, but I prefer the all steel CZs if I'm not carrying it around.

I am not a great shot with a handgun, but my Shadow 2 makes me feel like I am.

I look at a CZ pistol like a Porsche car. Yes, there are super cars. But the Porsche is a well designed and built factory production car. I feel they are a step above your Camaro and Mustang types, (plastic striker fired models that still are great products) but still within reach to the average guy.

I second the CZ. Good aftermarket support, Fantastic quality. Friends that shoot my CZ Tactical Sport Orange start figuring out how to get one. I know you did not ask about striker fired guns, but in that realm, I would recommend a CZ P10-C. Buy once, cry once.

I second the CZ. Good aftermarket support, Fantastic quality. Friends that shoot my CZ Tactical Sport Orange start figuring out how to get one. I know you did not ask about striker fired guns, but in that realm, I would recommend a CZ P10-C. Buy once, cry once.

CZ is great but CGW or CZCustom cost too much. The platform is very expensive for after market upgrades. That's the only drawback.

What type of after market upgrades are you considering? The Shadow 2 (one of the options you identified in your first post) is pretty nice out of the box. If you are considering that as an option as you identified, you are willing to spend a fair amount more than many other, less expensive 9mm options.

If one wants to save a few $, and is able to do some work themselves, or have a smith, or CGW or CZC do the work, starting with a CZ 75 variant and adding some extras from GGW or CZ Custom makes an already nice shooting gun even more refined in my experience. I have an SP-01 that has been worked over with CZ Custom parts that is a great shooter, and a couple I have installed CGW parts on that are real nice.

I've heard good things about the Canik (I see you ID'd you purchased one). I haven't had the chance to gain experience with one of these yet.

db2dab46077eee0a454556a0bc241b38.jpg

That CZ grip is worse than a heroin addiction, I can get my hand so high on the gun that there is basically no movement per shot. I shot Glock/1911 for years, and the CZ natural point of aim for me is well worth the price of entry. Yes the aftermarket work is expensive from CZ Custom and CGW, but I shop for parts and ship them from Europe direct, then do the work myself. They get here in 3-4 days, shipping is only an issue if you are ordering only one part. +1 for Canik if you are on a budget. Good luck.

You already got the Canik, so that's that. But if I were you, I'd get the 1911 if you don't already have one. Or if you don't have a DA/SA hammer gun, I'd get that as well. Both are good to have in your collection, as opposed to just striker guns. Nothing wrong with striker guns. But you want to expand your horizons. Don't get stuck in a McGlockold's rut. There are other placed to consume ammo.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top