JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Not true, under the Tested O.A.C.L. heading for each bullet is the Over All Cartridge Length

Edited to add I'm looking at Noslers online data
I'm reading directly out of Nosler #6, like I mentioned above and all they show is SAAMI specs. However I've always found that spec won't work in my Ruger. The bullet bangs into lands long before 3.340".

I say the gun being loaded for should be checked. In my '06 with either Nosler or Sierra bullets the sweet spot seems to be about 3.260-3.265".

Just for fun I measured 3 different factory loads I have on hand, Federal Premium 150gr Ballistic Tip (3.260"), S&B 181gr Soft Point (3.240") and Remington 220gr Core-Lokt round nose (3.270").

SAAMI COL is defined so that manufacturers/military specifications etc. have a standard. You can seat bullets deeper or shallower, depending on your chamber, magazine or cylinder. I doubt that you can buy a commercial round that exceeds that spec as no manufacturer is likely to subject themselves to a lawsuit for a cartridge that was "out of SAAMI spec."

In hand loading, you can seat deeper, or shallower, keeping pressures in mind. Classically, Weatherby chambered their rifles with considerable freebore, which supposedly allowed the bullet to accelerate more before contacting the lands. It also allowed for longer/heavier bullets for dangerous game hunting.

I have the Nosler #8 and looking at the 150 gr OACL for 5 of the 6 bullets they show a mesurement of 3.320 the exception being the E-tip and the show it loaded to a 3.300 OACL. But you are right if it's too long it's too long and needs to be adjusted.

Not true, under the Tested O.A.C.L. heading for each bullet is the Over All Cartridge Length

Edited to add I'm looking at Noslers online data
I checked the online data and wouldn't you know, the first cartridge I looked at only listed the SAAMI maximum length (noted as version 8.0). Then I checked another, and it showed tested length (noted version 9.0). Much more info with Version 9.0.
I have the Nosler #8
Damn. Mine's #6 and #9 is already in print.... I'd buy a new one, but since they share so much updated info online, I'll pass.

To the OP,
Why work up a load for a discontinued bullet?

And if you have Big Game powder try it first. That's what I use for the 168 BT Hunting.

P

To the OP,
Why work up a load for a discontinued bullet?

And if you have Big Game powder try it first. That's what I use for the 168 BT Hunting.

P
I had several boxes given to me. Probably cycle them through AR10. Ended up using BL(c)2.

Nosler data will be generous enough to send you down the rabbit hole with "Most Accurate Load Tested". Same for Sierra. I have followed those recipes in the past with not so pleasing results. Given you are using the same brand of components they list, you still aren't using the same rifle. Tailor loads to your specific platform.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top