JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hi Padd54,
The Buyer's insurance company will cover it. State Law said the Insurance Company Covers the vehicle for the frist 30 days but the Person must
add the vehicle to his Insurance By contacting his Agency, before 30 days passes.
Hope this helps,
Tony Portland, Oregon Area

Hi Padd54,
The Buyer's insurance company will cover it. State Law said the Insurance Company Covers the vehicle for the frist 30 days but the Person must
add the vehicle to his Insurance By contacting his Agency, before 30 days passes.
Hope this helps,
Tony Portland, Oregon Area

If you tell him this and he tells you he has no insurance, make sure you mention that to the deputies if/when you talk to them again.

1 in 7 drivers on the road have no insurance. This guy is one of them. That is talking liability insurance; even fewer have comprehensive.

Anyone who doesn't pay a little extra for 'uninsured motorist' coverage is foolish. LOTS of people out there do not have any insurance and just fill in a phony number on their registration.

In this economy that will only get worse as insurance is a luxury and doesn't come before food and electricity.

Any remorse or guilt you have should have flown out the window the minute the guy became nasty.

I agree with Burt above, the number when I was an agent was like 1/4 didn't carry liability insurance. Also a note for those who like to be prepared... Uninsured motorist/Underinsured motorist coverage is often set to your carried limits (the limit you carry in liability insurance), and will only pay out the difference between the other persons insurance, or lack there of, and your policy limits. For instance, a driver who carries minimum coverage hits you, and you also only carry minimum coverage, YOU GET NO ADDITIONAL COVERAGE if damages to you exceed the liability coverage offered by the other company. Lets say you get hit by somebody with minimum coverage, and you carry a typical maximum level of coverage. You would then typically be covered by the by an additional amount equal to your coverage limit minus the minimum carried by the other driver. I have not been licensed for a while, and things may have changed/be different from company to company. But please research this for yourself. So needless to say this is not legal and or professional advice.

Legally he has no leg to stand on if you signed the title of the van and gave it to him. Also, make sure you fill out the Notice of Sale or Transfer of Vehicle form found here --> DMV LINK. This gets filed with the DMV. If he never transfer's the vehicle it will remain in your name until the tags expires. This mean, if he leaves it on the side of the road or drives it into the woods and burns it, your who the cops come looking for. Just fill it out as complete as possible, if you've got the title from the other car it should have his info on it. Fill the form out now and take it to the DMV as soon as you can. Write down dates and time of calls you've received already with a general just of what's been said. Then keep track if you get any further calls.

THANKS!! I just got back from DMV. I hadn't even thought of that.

I realize it is after the fact but next time prepare something like this for the buyer to sign.

Letter of agreement, understand and receipt of sale

I, John Doe have agreed to purchase from RVTECH
A 19XX AMC Pacer, VIN # XXXXXXXXX,
With no warranty or guarantee offered, expressed or implied.

Signed
John Doe

I just called the Sheriffs office and ran the plates and vin on the car he left me, it is clean.

They said if I get more harassment type calls then they can take some action.

I am going to have to have contact with him again to give his car back to him.
This is no fun.

I would get rid of his other car right away and be done with him.
You did do the title and a bill of sale and all,right?
You may get fined if they tow the van off the road,you will need the paper work.

I just take the registration out of the glovebox fill in the back and send it off to DMV as this tells them it has sold and to who. Call the city or county and have the car he left towed as an abandoned car left on your property.

PS now he has to have it towed under the bridge..........LOL...sorry couldnt pass it up.

Agree - this sounds like some kind of scam. Or, it could be that he just has very bad luck (stuff happens). Even if he had insurance, I doubt he has comprehensive, so he'd still be SOL if it caught fire the first day or ten months from when you sold it.

Based on what you are saying I would be careful meeting him again. Explain to him that the sale is final and that you weren't having any problems with the vehicle prior to this (if that is true). Have you seen the vehicle are confirmed that truly is burned? If he put it out wih his shirt its sounds like a simply wiring issue because you aren't going to put out a gas fire with a shirt.

I agree......I'd find out if your van has actually been left alongside of the road.

It has been a long time since I tried to sell a vehicle privately and I am amazed at how many scammers are coming at me from every angle.

They are relentless and very creative in their scams. I thought selling my 12k miles FJ for $23k would be just a walk in the park since 50k mile FJs sell for that. Oh, there are buyers there - you just have to get past the dozens of scammers lining up beforehand.

Tip - google the phone number of whoever is calling you. If there is no match or derogatory info/dealer BS don't bother calling them back.

It could be very well possible - actually PROBABLE - that there was NO FIRE and that this guy is just running a scam. Better reason to 'call block' all his numbers and get rid of that second car; have the city tow it away.

Send him a form letter thanking him for his business like a used car dealership would.

Include a coupon for a bag of marshmallows....

I agree with Burt. If this guy is legit and has insurance on another vehicle then it will cover a newly purchased vehicle automatically. If he doesn't have insurance, then he's a bad guy and you shouldn't try to engage with him as a responsible person would. Because he's not going to play by the rules anyway. You should separate yourself as much as possible from the situation.

You are not responsible for the van at all. Don't send him ANY money. The sending of any money indicates that you are accepting blame on some level. So I would not send him anything.

And get rid of that other car some how. I'd find a safe place to dump it and mail the keys to them, or lock them in the car. Just be careful cause if you leave it some place and it gets stolen then I think you could be held liable for dumping it. So probably find some safe way to do it. Leave it in the police parking lot or something.

Why did you agree to accept the other car and put it on CL for him? Couldn't he do that on his own? This sounds like a scam from the word 'go' and I hope you are not being set up for something here.

Why did you agree to accept the other car and put it on CL for him? Couldn't he do that on his own? This sounds like a scam from the word 'go' and I hope you are not being set up for something here.

I was trying to be helpfull, he seemed like a nice guy. He said he lives in Sherwood and just bought the car to come over to get the van.
Yay, now that I say it outloud, it sounds iffy but I am a trusting soul.

I have emailed him several times asking for his address or the address in Lapine that he says he has so that I can drop off the car. No response to that, only him saying the van is junked and will be towed for scrap.

I haven't gotten a call since last night when he said he was going for a walk to cool off.

I was trying to be helpfull, he seemed like a nice guy. He said he lives in Sherwood and just bought the car to come over to get the van.
Yay, now that I say it outloud, it sounds iffy but I am a trusting soul.

I have emailed him several times asking for his address or the address in Lapine that he says he has so that I can drop off the car. No response to that, only him saying the van is junked and will be towed for scrap.

I haven't gotten a call since last night when he said he was going for a walk to cool off.

Do you really believe the dude "purchased a car just to come over to your house"?

Don't try to be helpful with this guy anymore, you are putting yourself at risk.

Do you really believe the dude "purchased a car just to come over to your house"?

Don't try to be helpful with this guy anymore, you are putting yourself at risk.

Yea, I am seeing that now. I ggogled his phone number, he has a lot of vehicles for sale.
503-487-7087

Seems like he was buying my van to flip in the Portland area.

I just need to get the Miata out of here.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top