JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No warranty means not your problem. Once it is out of your control you do not know what the buyer has done to it to possibly cause the problem.

It's an 88 van, he didn't have any insurance on it. He said he only got about 100 miles and the engine caught fire. I gave him receipts for all the work that had been done, over 1500 in that last two years. I sold it for 1200.
Needless to say he is pissed and wants his money back.

I have never dealt with something like this in my life. The van is totaled.

Ask him if he has insurance on another vehicle. If he has coverage for another vehicle then then van will be covered for a short amount of time. If he keeps calling you I would ask for a copy of the fire report as they will usually note the cause of the loss or at least where the fire started.

At that point you can decide how you want to proceed. Was there some problem that you were aware of but didn't think it was a big deal? In my experience the most likely cause is going to be frayed wiring, unless you had some recent work done in the engine compartment.

He bought a 25 YO vehicle as is. He could have called his insurance company and got coverage before he drove it but he didn't.

He made his decisions, he needs to live with em.

Relax.

If he causes trouble or threatens it call the police.

Sorry for him, but that is the way the cookie crumbles. If he ends up being physically threatening to you or harasses you contact the police and/or get a restraining order. Do not relent at all, or accept responsibility in any way.

Also, when he calls, texts or emails save everything. Especially voice mail. You will need it as evidence if he gets overly aggressive.

Freak things happen.

I sold a beautiful 1959 Jeep to a guy once. It ran like a new Jeep for the three years I had it. Sold it to a guy from Enterprise OR and on his way driving it home the engine seized up. Same thing, a hot head. Explained to him nicely that I was very sorry for his bad luck, however it was out of my hands.

I don't think he had insurance on anything to be honest. The van is along the side of the road near Detroit Lake. No police or Fire Department involved.

Only the engine area caught fire, he put it out with his shirt.

If I had known anything was wrong I would not of sold it.

I feel bad, but I sold it for a loss as is.

Where did the 'totaled' part come from then?

Doesn't sound like a huge deal. He'll just need to find a friend to tow in home or to a shop for him. Probably a fairly simple rewire job for a good mechanic.

NOT your concern though. Hats off to you for caring about the guy; most people would not and would be happy to dump a lemon on someone else.

It is all up to you. I had a 1978 ford F-250 that was an awesome rig with a 460 in it. Guy from Colorado of all places came to buy it. Got out to Arlington, OR and the motor blew. I was not about to leave a guy stranded. I towed him back to Colorado on my dime but he wanted to keep the truck.
In your case, who is to say the guy did not fire one up or hot rod the thing to cause the issues. Hard to say what to do. Pretty much up to you. AS IS WITH NO WARRANTY is always important in a bill of sale.

The "totaled" was his words. He and his mate have tagged teamed me and called me a few choice words demanding all the money and if I don't they will call the cops.

He is going for a walk to cool off because he he so upset, he said it was good that we were not face to face now.

There is more, he drove over in a car he bought last night, let me drive it home (we met in Sisters) and asked me to put it on CL for him. The title is in the car. Which I have done.

This is not going to end well I am afraid.

Call the police right now. Next time they call you inform them that the PO has been notified. You won't hear from them again.

He drives around w/o insurance and selling cars outside his area, he has a reason for that and he doesn't want the police involved in any way.

You need to protect yourself legally and personally. Just takes a phone call.

Here's the deal, sure you feel bad. I would too, but your insurance isn't going to cover them driving it, because you were no longer the owner. They as the new owner have a sad situation on their hands, but you have no liability here. Be very careful, you can feel bad, but don't take on the responsibility for their lack of insurance.

Based on what you are saying I would be careful meeting him again. Explain to him that the sale is final and that you weren't having any problems with the vehicle prior to this (if that is true). Have you seen the vehicle and confirmed that truly is burned? If he put it out wih his shirt its sounds like a simply wiring issue because you aren't going to put out a gas fire with a shirt.

Last Edited:
I just called the Sheriffs office and ran the plates and vin on the car he left me, it is clean.

They said if I get more harassment type calls then they can take some action.

I am going to have to have contact with him again to give his car back to him.
This is no fun.

If you feel bad, give him his money back. Just tell him to pay for the damages.

Seriously though, once the sale is done, its done. Its the buyers responsibility to make sure he knows what he's buying. Unless the seller is shady. Just saying.

I just called the Sheriffs office and ran the plates and vin on the car he left me, it is clean.

They said if I get more harassment type calls then they can take some action.

I am going to have to have contact with him again to give his car back to him.
This is no fun.

Legally he has no leg to stand on if you signed the title of the van and gave it to him. Also, make sure you fill out the Notice of Sale or Transfer of Vehicle form found here --> DMV LINK. This gets filed with the DMV. If he never transfer's the vehicle it will remain in your name until the tags expires. This mean, if he leaves it on the side of the road or drives it into the woods and burns it, your who the cops come looking for. Just fill it out as complete as possible, if you've got the title from the other car it should have his info on it. Fill the form out now and take it to the DMV as soon as you can. Write down dates and time of calls you've received already with a general just of what's been said. Then keep track if you get any further calls.

He and his mate have tagged teamed me and called me a few choice words demanding all the money >> let his calls go to voice mail or an answering machine so you have proof of this; or record the call; legal to do so in Oregon. As soon as he leaves a threatening call it is over for him.

and if I don't they will call the cops >> laughable.

Someone on Craiglist can deliver that car over to him probably for free to get a ride; you pay gas; look under transport/carpool; or tell him that you are just not interested in selling it for him based on the way he is acting and it is his problem; send him the keys certified mail or UPS.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top