Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Need help identifying this ammo!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by lone wolf and cub, Feb 29, 2012.

1. lone wolf and cub

lone wolf and cub Portland, OR New Member

So my dad died 8 years ago and left me a bunch of ammo, and until now I was just stashing it for a rainy day. I went through it, and found an ammo I am totally unfamiliar with and appears to be unmarked. He bought it with a whole bunch of norinco 7.62 x .39 from an American vendor pre norinco ban. It came in a wooden case with two smaller tin cases in it, and each rectangular case has 22 pre-wrapped paper bundles with 25 rounds a bundle.

The second box from the top, with the writing 7.62 x 56, is the batch in question.
    DSC_0753 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Here it is opened
    DSC_0755 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The tin case opened. ( the shipping info has long been worn off and is unreadable )
    DSC_0756 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Stacked alternating up and down in rows of 5 by 5 in each paper bundle
    DSC_0758 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

The back of each one stamped with "55" on the top and "31" on the bottom
    DSC_0763 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Here's a size comparison; much smaller 7.62 x .39 on the left, unknown round on right
    DSC_0765 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Has anyone seen this round before? My theory is that it is actually 7.62 x .54 for a mosin nagant that my dad purchased about the same time, but there are no markings to identify this, and my dad had several other rifles stolen, so I have no way of knowing for sure. Also how do you get the photos to embed in the thread!!??

2. kevlar

kevlar Mt.Angel Active Member

Looks to me like 7.62x54r

3. svtrc51

svtrc51 Woodland Member

I do believe 7.62x56 is the metric .303 british. Do some reaserch though. Im sure someone will chime in with more info.

EMP9596 and (deleted member) like this.
  4. xm193

xm193 seatac Active Member

take an overall measurement in metric if you have the ability sure looks like 7,62x54 to me , it chinese 7.62x54 the stamp 31 indicates it

5. TCOV

TCOV OLYMPIC PENINSULA Active Member

Sometimes commy ammo has confusing printing on the boxes and the numbers refer to factories or lots or whatever. The 7.62 refers to the caliber, the 56 probably refers to something else. Since he had a Mosin Nagant I would believe that it is 7.62x54r for the Mosin rifle. It is probably corrosive primed so be sure to clean after shooting and maybe a couple days later clean again. These old Mosins are fun to shoot and almost 30/06 power.

6. EMP9596

EMP9596 Two Trees West of Camas, WA. Active Member

7. lone wolf and cub

lone wolf and cub Portland, OR New Member

Thanks so much everyone for the replies! After looking into it further I'm sure it's 7.62 x 54r. I got the mosin nagant out again and the round feeds perfectly into the chamber. Anyone want a Finnish m28 Mosin-Nagant with 1350 rounds of this stuff?

8. Swedish K

Swedish K SW Washington Moderator Staff Member

The Finnish Mosins shoot pretty good - had one for about 10 yrs now and I've consistently hit minute of bad guy at 300 yards, standing, iron sights. It might not be a 700 in 300 winmag but its still a blast to shoot.

9. Asp

Asp Oregon, the promise land. Active Member

---
    Edit, I was only looking at the box.

10. CharonPDX

CharonPDX Portland, OR Active Member

Yup, x54R for sure. How much are you thinking? I might be interested in a second Mosin plus more ammo...

11. deadshot2

deadshot2 NW Quadrant WA State Well-Known Member

Isn't .303 British actually designated as 7.7x56R Case length of the British is 2.222" with the "Mosin Food" being 2.115" case length.

12. EMP9596

EMP9596 Two Trees West of Camas, WA. Active Member

I do believe you are dead right..

13. JackFrost

JackFrost Central Oregon Active Member

Definately interested. How much would you want?