JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey folks!

This is my father-in-law's shotgun that he has had for (at least) my wife's entire life of 32 years. He has had some trouble identifying it, since it was his brother's (who has now passed away), and it was passed down onto him.

Any thoughts on who makes it? It's semi-auto, 16 ga, and has "Ranger" in the side of it - with what looks to be a small cowboy (pretty faded).

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance! Barrel 2.jpg Barrel.jpg

Cowboy.jpg

Imprint.jpg

Ranger.jpg

Side.jpg

Stock.jpg

Looks like a Sears Ranger to me. It's based off the Browning Auto 5 design.
Before shooting it, I would take a look at a You Tube video by Jim Green (Down East Gunworks)
He has some of the best dis-assembly and re-assembly videos of vintage firearms on the web.
Especially what mechanical issues you should look for when taking it apart.
Also, the friction ring needs to be correctly installed for the type of loads you will be shooting.

If you work on this, use hollow ground screwdriver tips.
If you look at the receiver closeup pics, the screw slots are bunged up from some kitchen table repairs.

Savage and Remington made the Auto 5 when they weren't being imported from Belgium.

I've never known a Remington with a department store brand on it, so I'd seriously consider this shotgun is a Savage.

WAYNO.

Even the old stuff that ain't often talked about is better than most of the new stuff. You should search for Belgian proof marks on the barrel or receiver: this would make it an equivalent of a contemporary Browning at least as far as material and function.

I should add that the Rem Model 11 was the initial and first marketing for the stalwart Browning design for the American market: debut of the "Humpback" !

Last Edited:
Interesting. First thought was a Sears version of the Remington mdl 11. No so.
The Ranger is actually a Savage/Stevens 720.

Watch it on old 16 ga guns. The old ones had a 2 9/16" chamber. Newer ones are
2 3/4". No definite date on the change to 2 3/4", but if it is pre WWII you might
want to have it checked.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top